Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2013, 12:33 PM   #46
Shesaid OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Well the Wombat and I have almost 100 miles together now... the suspension has not softened noticeably, I think I'm gonna need to convine the FIL to ride it more for me (he's a little heavier than I am, should compress the suspension nicely.)

Most of my new miles are in dirt on steep forestry roads filled with rocks, ruts, roots, and sheer drop offs.

Coincidentally-- I found out that I can pick the TW up all by myself. Not that I was worried that I couldn't, but it was pretty easy going. AND this time I fell down without injury of any sort.

I beg to differ with whomever mentioned that the TW is hard to stall. All you have to do is be going up hill in 2nd and get caught in a rut that really needs 1st gear to get out of. Stalled it every time.

In other news, I'm pretty good at getting started on an uphill incline now too. All that clutch/throttle/brake coordination is coming pretty easy.

My speed record was 15 mph. When you guys say "40 or 50 tops" my eyes pop out of my head a little and I start to swoon. I can't imagine going that fast on the roads I was on.

The neice got to ride the Fatcat on the same roads. We thought maybe more challenging terrain would slow her down: I think she was already back at camp when I fell over. We're gonna need to equip her with a radio and give her better instructions about keeping an eye on your riding partner.

That girl is going to end up on the back of some dude's Ducati someday.... nope. She's gonna want her own. I can't apologize to her dad enough for teaching her to ride that stupid Fatcat. She is all about speed... which, of course, the Fatcat offers little of. But I think she might have hit the 30s on those forest roads!

Sorry no pics. There was no one to take any!
Shesaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:19 PM   #47
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,329
Let some air out of the tires, the ride gets a lot better.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:23 PM   #48
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,600
The TW isn't overly blessed with suspension. Think it as an old-school mini bike. (The ones with NO suspension!) A common flaw is that dealers pump tires up to road pressures, and the owners think that's where they should stay. Airing down to 15 lbs on the trails will make a big difference. You can go lower if you're courageous. Get a cheap pump and carry it with you. Soft tires will wear quickly on pavement, so make deflation/inflation part of your routine.

This is a nice, light little pump: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/origi...y-minifootpump

They have them on Ebay for less:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Min...item35ae6383ce
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:35 PM   #49
73Mustang
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shesaid View Post
Since then I have replaced the seat and dropped another inch and then we added a lowering link.
You got ripped off. The DR650 does not need aftermarket lowering link. This bike can be lowered for free.
73Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:08 PM   #50
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,623
Yes

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:13 PM   #51
Jacl-Kampuchea
Booze Merchant

Oddometer: 687
A few people have thrown out words to the effect that a DR650 is "too tall". That's kinda laughable really. It's by no means a tall bike, even for a 31" inseam (mine is 34").

But I would echo those who say don't be afraid to buy used and cheap bikes like the super sherpa to actually learn to ride on - and take basic courses to build up basic skills before getting back on a 650.

Most importantly, have fun!
Old 05-08-2013, 08:41 PM   #52
Hesaid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
Let some air out of the tires, the ride gets a lot better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
A common flaw is that dealers pump tires up to road pressures, and the owners think that's where they should stay. Airing down to 15 lbs on the trails will make a big difference. You can go lower if you're courageous. Get a cheap pump and carry it with you. Soft tires will wear quickly on pavement, so make deflation/inflation part of your routine.
I suppose I ought to chime in here, the Wombat was at full pressure last weekend. We had originally played around and had it somewhere around 16psi, but then a few weekends ago, as we were getting ready to ride, and I was teaching my nephew about the wrenching part of having motorcycles, I had him set the tire pressures on the bikes. I watched, he did well, setting all the tires exactly to mfr's specs. I had just forgotten that we were deliberately running them lower. Sorry honey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73Mustang View Post
You got ripped off. The DR650 does not need aftermarket lowering link. This bike can be lowered for free.
Ripped off? Really? Because I was aware of the two different suspension settings for the DR, which includes a different hole for the rear shock mounting, and a rebuild of the front forks with a little spacer type ring inverted, and I thought that having the dealer do that for free was a pretty good deal. However, considering that after having that done, and the lower Suzuki gel seat installed, she wanted the bike lower still, I thought the adjustable link seemed like the way to go. But if you say I'm getting ripped off...

MV
Hesaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:35 PM   #53
Hesaid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,041
(D'OH! Sorry guys, this is actually written by SHESAID. I forgot I was still logged in as him.Too much trouble to undo/redo it all.)

Yeah. The DR in the lower setting was not low enough to get a solid and secure footing. Switched seats to get an inch lower and still pretty much felt like the ground was way too far away from my foot. So we opted for an adjustable lowering link which made the difference.

I understand that many riders have no aversion to a little distance between their foot and the ground. I'm also learning that it's not uncommon for the ladies to prefer more secure footing. Maybe it's a center-of-gravity thing, maybe it's a how-long-have-you-been-riding-and-what-have-you-ridden thing. Either way-- you guys go ahead and make all the decisions you want about whether or not I should feel comfy on the DR650.... I'm gonna ride the Wombat (TW) till the wheels fall off. I love that little bike.

Meanwhile-- honestly, the ride on the TW on those bumpity forest roads wasn't too bad. I want the suspension to soften up so it compresses a tad bit more when I get on it. Effectively lowering it a tad... Again-- I'd like more boot-to-earth contact, especially on the uneven terrain.

I'm only comfortable with my footing on the TW because it's a lighter bike.

Soooooo.... how do y'all measure your inseams, anyway? I grew up sewing, I know how a seamstress measures an inseam, but I'm guessing a bike inseam measurement would be more appropriate from crotch to ground, yes? Maybe I'm doing it all wrong and my inseam is shorter than I've been claiming? I sure do get a lot of people telling me I should be plenty tall enough for the DR650.
Hesaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 04:47 PM   #54
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesaid View Post
(D'OH! Sorry guys, this is actually written by SHESAID. I forgot I was still logged in as him.Too much trouble to undo/redo it all.)

Yeah. The DR in the lower setting was not low enough to get a solid and secure footing. Switched seats to get an inch lower and still pretty much felt like the ground was way too far away from my foot. So we opted for an adjustable lowering link which made the difference.

I understand that many riders have no aversion to a little distance between their foot and the ground. I'm also learning that it's not uncommon for the ladies to prefer more secure footing. Maybe it's a center-of-gravity thing, maybe it's a how-long-have-you-been-riding-and-what-have-you-ridden thing. Either way-- you guys go ahead and make all the decisions you want about whether or not I should feel comfy on the DR650.... I'm gonna ride the Wombat (TW) till the wheels fall off. I love that little bike.

Meanwhile-- honestly, the ride on the TW on those bumpity forest roads wasn't too bad. I want the suspension to soften up so it compresses a tad bit more when I get on it. Effectively lowering it a tad... Again-- I'd like more boot-to-earth contact, especially on the uneven terrain.

I'm only comfortable with my footing on the TW because it's a lighter bike.

Soooooo.... how do y'all measure your inseams, anyway? I grew up sewing, I know how a seamstress measures an inseam, but I'm guessing a bike inseam measurement would be more appropriate from crotch to ground, yes? Maybe I'm doing it all wrong and my inseam is shorter than I've been claiming? I sure do get a lot of people telling me I should be plenty tall enough for the DR650.

In this case ,yes ,crotch to ground....for boot's or pants length,no.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote