Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2013, 06:30 PM   #91
green hell
yawning or snarling

Oddometer: 19,902
nice race by kimball. lots of teams had horrible strategy trying to save fuel early. no yellows, which totally finished off those bad plans.

needless dickery
green hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:32 PM   #92
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewismedlock View Post
I bet you're right. Like I said, I only heard the end of the conversation.
I have and coffee table book on the Indy 500 that my late mother bought for me. It says that Al Jr. won the 500 with an 1100 hp monster.
I believe that was '94 and the Penske/Mercedes pushrod monster motor that Penske built to kill the "stock block" rule. I think they were actually braking into the turns with those?!

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:30 PM   #93
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 72,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by green hell View Post
nice race by kimball. lots of teams had horrible strategy trying to save fuel early. no yellows, which totally finished off those bad plans.
Yes, nice to see a pedal-to-the-metal winner. A first time, American winner can't hurt the series. IndyCar's forcing Honda to go to a twin turbo next season, which might bum them out, given the success they've having this season. 4 in a row.

I love this track.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:44 PM   #94
wxwax
Excited Member

IndyCar is defending the ludicrous penalty on Scott Dixon, which handed the win to Will Power.

Man, those guys sure were crashy. I think they must feel very safe in these machines. I liked the competitive racing, but enough with the wrecks.

Juan Montoya wants to climb into an IndyCar next season. Juan, baby, you can't fit.

Indy Motor Speedway is floating the idea of running an IndyCar race on the infield track in the month of May, before the 500. That's all kinds of dumb. Those guys are an irrepressible fountain of ideas for diluting what used to be the biggest event in motorsports. Keep up the bad work, guys.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 08-29-2013, 02:57 AM   #95
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,956
I hadn't seen an Indy Car race at Sears Point in ages (TV). the commentary was good and the race dramatic. I was surprised they used the Superbike hair pin. I enjoyed it and will probably watch more. I thought the cars looked good on that track. Makes me want to go see them at Mid-O. They have a round at Mid-O don't they?
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:12 AM   #96
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,027
That was a good race, the Dixon penalty was nonsense. I hope it doesn't cost him a title shot.
Lots of wheel banging, F1 cars would've been all broken with contact like that.
They seemed plenty powerful and fast enough on that track.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:10 AM   #97
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
Juan Montoya wants to climb into an IndyCar next season. Juan, baby, you can't fit.
For his last couple seasons, Lola built Foyt a tub that was 1 1/2" wider than standard.

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:50 AM   #98
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
I hadn't seen an Indy Car race at Sears Point in ages (TV). the commentary was good and the race dramatic. I was surprised they used the Superbike hair pin. I enjoyed it and will probably watch more. I thought the cars looked good on that track. Makes me want to go see them at Mid-O. They have a round at Mid-O don't they?
Mid-Ohio was August 4th, you missed it. Great track, good race.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 08-31-2013, 05:23 PM   #99
green hell
yawning or snarling

Quote:
IndyCar is defending the ludicrous penalty on Scott Dixon, which handed the win to Will Power.

Man, those guys sure were crashy. I think they must feel very safe in these machines. I liked the competitive racing, but enough with the wrecks.

Indy Motor Speedway is floating the idea of running an IndyCar race on the infield track in the month of May, before the 500. That's all kinds of dumb. Those guys are an irrepressible fountain of ideas for diluting what used to be the biggest event in motorsports. Keep up the bad work, guys.
i'm watching sonoma on the tivo right now. plenty of time to get up and pee. or wash the car. too damn much yellow.

regarding the road course at indy, i'd love to see a race on it. i miss going to f1 at the ims. it would be tough to have two separate indy car races there, so i can see why they'd do it in the month of may.

needless dickery
Old 08-31-2013, 06:04 PM   #100
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
it would be tough to have two separate indy car races there, so i can see why they'd do it in the month of may.
Why's that? I don't understand the benefit.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 08-31-2013, 06:57 PM   #101
green hell
yawning or snarling

Quote:
Why's that? I don't understand the benefit.

i just love the ims and i'd love to see a(n indy car) race on that course.

great seating and good view. f1 was (almost) always a blast. except that one year. you know the one.

i quit watching the sonoma race. just terrible with all the yellows. maybe pick it up tomorrow. it's like they all did 3 shots before launch.

needless dickery
Old 09-02-2013, 03:41 PM   #102
wxwax
Excited Member

So let me get this straight.

IndyCar gives race leader (and title hopeful) Scott Dixon a stop-and-go because a Penske competitor deliberately strayed into his path on pit box exit and he hit him. The penalty came late and wrecked Dixon's race.

IndyCar (Derrick Walker) strongly defend a penalty that may have ruined Dixon's chances at the title.

Come Baltimore, and Derrick Walker has, surprise, surprise, added a new rule to the book. One of the things it says is that no crew member may obstruct another car in the pits.

So it was Scott Dixon's fault, but since then IndyCar has seen a need to make a new rule penalizing anyone who obstructs a car in the pits?

Got it. Amateurs.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 09-02-2013, 05:48 PM   #103
green hell
yawning or snarling

1. that was a terrible call. the crew member was carrying the tire off to his side and showed no awareness nor urgency regarding his surroundings.

2. indycar absolutely needs to design and mark pit boxes so there is no question where the car is to be; tires, tools and people, and clear paths of egress.

3. the new rule is practically a necessity now, since unfortunate precedent has been set.

needless dickery
Old 09-02-2013, 08:41 PM   #104
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
1. that was a terrible call. the crew member was carrying the tire off to his side and showed no awareness nor urgency regarding his surroundings.
There's a very good chance he was doing it on purpose. At the top of the Baltimore broadcast, they showed clips form previous races. When the car in the next pitbox was a teammate, the right rear tire changer made sure he was out of the way. When it was a competitor, the right rear tire changer was a lot more deliberate about clearing a path for the exiting car.

What's baffling is that in a pre-race interview in Baltimore, Derrick Walker admitted that teams play games in the pits. Yet despite knowing that, he dinged Dixon and potentially ruined his season. Amateurs.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 09-03-2013, 12:33 AM   #105
wxwax
Excited Member

Baltimore produces an event filled race. Helluva final 10 laps. On the other hand, those guys are just too crashy. Turn 1 is hard, but not that hard.

Delighted for Sarah Fisher that her driver got second. Scott Dixon boned again, Will Power just drives right into him and shoves him into the wall.

I hope Baltimore continues as a venue. I know it had big problems in the past. But it can produce pretty intense action. I hope it made enough money this year to keep everyone happy and willing to sign a new contract.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan