Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2013, 09:44 PM   #31
Lupe Nurse OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Day 8 Time to get things moving....to the next evolution!

Well I had rode the CDR as much as I could and decided to skip out before New Mexico and get out of the wilderness. I had plans with a longtime friend for the extended weekend in CA. These plans were tentative in the beginning of the trip as Ride38 has work ties that flux with the seasons and the season was on. We were in contact a few times during the last several days and the plan was finalized. We both have some strong ties to CA and the Sierra's call the adventure rider in us both. I look at my gps and determine that going through the Four Corners and into CA via 160 to 89 to 40 was best to get to Kernville CA. The Kern river is the planned hook up spot and I'm stoked at the idea of just over a 1000 miles in two days. I think for a fully fitted bike, in these conditions, This slab ride should bring it's own level of intensity!

Riding out of CO on 160 through a few towns was nice. The temp was moderate and I was rocking out to my favorite tunes. When I'm on slab I tend to blast some tunes to relax myself and ease the aggression. I do enjoy the snappy response and deafening wrap of the 690. I flowed along and it got hot. Like I went through a 2l bag of fluids by 1400.

I cant believe I have not pissed yet... The heat and wind is drying me out!!
Not that I would even think of using one of these.

I tape the earphones in so they don't loosen up with helmet or cord adjustments.

I decide since I'm well into this marathon street ride I should watch the Motoz and see how well they hold up. At this point the rear is a bit flattened off in the middle. The front is starting to cup a bit, likely because I did not balance the tires.

[IMG]http://lupenurse.smugmug.com/photos/i-SgvpMKm/0/X2/i-SgvpMKm
-X2.jpg[/IMG]

I get a glimmer of doing something outlandish and make a mental dash out to Wolfman's Cave. It is nice inside but the on my way back I am developing blisters from my boots and I run out of water. I decide this picture will suffice and ride on since I am getting hungry. So I roll out and 160 kinda parallels 40 so I get confused and pull over. There are signs to 40. I have not hit flagstaff yet and that is where, in my mind, I want to get on 40. I call my wife since I have reception and the phone sucks for surfing the web..... Basically I'm not loving this heat and my mind is melting. I ask her to tell me which is the fastest way to get to Flagstaff. She is now stressed out and I'm getting very frustrated. She says something like, "if they both go where you want, then why the panic".

This sets the new tone. I snap out of it like one of those premadona's on the snickers commercial. Wow I was shocked at myself for starting to lose it. I needed to get some food and fluids ASAP. I knew this was not my confident self.

I roll into the closest food source that I can find. Yup, I broke down and ate at the Burger King in Kayenta AZ. The food sucked...of course it did. I did not even finish it. The place was interesting in the fact that I felt very out of place. 90% tourists and run by the local Indian tribe. There were no other Bikers and on the way out I'm being harassed by the locals for not giving them some gas money. They tried to make me feel bad, but I DON'T. I pull out of there with a vengeance revving the 690 and making some noise. My spirits are lifted and the caffein was working its magic. Then, I started to ponder how it will look when I haul of the highway and onto the sand. I'll be trying to find cover but there is none. No cover, the 690 can bring me cover , thats the plan then. I swear I only make it through the throws of Burger King Diarrhea Dementia solely on adrenaline filled follies with a determined bus driver. This guy and I rally past each other and several other vehicles all the way to 89. When I hit 89 I get gas and talk to some people about my options for camping in or near Flagstaff. They say the hills above it are perfect and I want it but I want to do laundry and take a shower more. I do it!

I get a shower and get the laundry going. I go the Safeway down the street chilling in my flip flops, shorts, t-shirt and no helmet. I start to pull out of the KOA and did not notice the slick sand on the road. This was the closest I came to pain this hole trip and I swear I was completely sideways cause I got on it out of the complex. You know when you show up and feel all proud. You want to demonstrate your existence with some horsepower. I learned not to, again, for the time being.

I ate a deli sandwich from the store and some salad in a bag. The night was nice and I was low key. I like to walk at night and this elevation made for some spectacular star gazing!

Del Norte CO ---- Flagstaff AZ 10620-- 11054

Lupe Nurse screwed with this post 05-07-2013 at 11:46 PM
Lupe Nurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:48 PM   #32
Lupe Nurse OP
Adventurer

Yo ADVER's give me some questions or tips so I can have shorter pages....Please!

Old 05-08-2013, 12:11 AM   #33
Off Limits
Really?

Oddometer: 3,317
Bitchen write up. No tips or advice needed.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:26 PM   #34
Lupe Nurse OP
Adventurer

Day 9 I gotta push through the heat, Bike don't fail me now!

I wake at my usual 830ish and clear out camp. I know a early start would have been best but I like to sleep in more. I'm determined to make it to Kernville today and know the basic track. I just gotta get on 40 and roll it out to CA. When I get to CA I'll double check my route and get there ASAP. The miles are very tough and I drink fluids heavily again. I'm kinda just out there buzzing along and when my gas light comes on I twist the nobs on the rally raid tanks to go another 100 miles. When the light comes on again I stop and pour the gallon spare into the rear tank and ride on. The search for gas intensifies at that point. I have no issues, I just have to operate this way to minimize stops.

The day looks like this all the way to Kernville. Dry, no trees and no elevation changes.. Thats until I get close, and that means within 75 miles. I keep myself entertained with passing at 80 and then being passed at 90 while I'm cruising at 70. I see a roadside rest stop and gotta get out of the sun. I'm pretty exhausted and just dismount the bike and walk over to a table. A few others are there in the shade but I don't care. I just laid on the table top for like 20 minutes and regrouped.

I know, you're wondering if the gnome sweats? Not a bit, the little Bastard!

I start to approach the CA border check and am not ready for it. I start to think of my options and decide it's to late to stop and unload so I just roll up. This guy in fatigue like clothes just waves me through and I'm stoked. I tell myself to handle it at my next stop but I never do. I'm torn between my OR ways and the states statutes.

Just off of 395 and onto 178, I see this just after gassing/hydrationing.... Awe why not stop.

I fing the road out from here to be much more interesting. I get into Kernville about 6ish and roll right up to the local store. I get some easy grub and of course beer. I ask the locals where I can just through my tent up and they say to just follow the west side of the river. I do and I get nowhere. I get back to town and see the campground on the river. It's locally owned and I can just stop now.... The sixer was barely staying on the bike. I stopped for the sixer! The spot was nice and right on the river. I had direct uninhibited access and a few neighbors. I just set up and went and put my feet in the clear crisp Kern River. I must admit I got my ass kicked today from the heat and long saddle time. I was glad I pushed it since I will have all day tomorrow to myself.

Flagstaff to Kernville 11054--------11631
Old 05-10-2013, 11:22 AM   #35
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,778
Thumb Nice Job...

Thank you for sharing. I like your style.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:07 PM   #36
Ride38
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
river camp

Your expression in the pics make your narration of that hot long ride just as miserable as you explained it.
-I hope you had beers in that cold running river ready for the next day!
Ride38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:19 PM   #37
Lupe Nurse OP
Adventurer

Day 10 -- Siesta and a little local flavor

Well I did not enjoy the night as much as the evening. There was a group of Gang Bangers rocking out literally all night and when I got up at about 8 they were still staggering around the camp blasting gangster rap. I like to party but these people were spun out and ludicrous. I knew I had to get out before I got to verbal since I knew they'd kick my ass. So I split and found some nice spot up river that was free of tweekers and an entrance fee. I had been in contact with Ride 38 and we had planned to meet up the next morningish. I needed to get too a computer and download some GPS tracks so I had the same ones as he. I went to the local library and was able to get on it. The problem was that they cant let me download to the GPS for some security protection reason. I was bummed but I also knew Ride 38 had it covered and I had no problem just following him for a few days. It was odd just tooling around this sleepy town, the tourists started to pour in and the town started to wake-up. Thats about the time beer by the river sounded great. I found a nice shady spot right near my camp and had some serenity.

I like a happy gnome!

I went for the simple rehydrated soup. It's easy, cheap and filling. I went with it and trusted my stuff in my vestibule for a short ride to town.

I had an epic brew at a epic spot!

Occasionally people would float by and I would hear some yelling just upstream. I'm thinking I gotta check it out, so I do. Well, to my initial disappointment it was a couple of older ladies in need of more than their swimsuits. They were locals and were dealing with some intense life issues like cancer. They were best friends and out to let off some steam. I was actually quite amused with them and spent a hour just listening to their jabber. They would wait for some people to get to the top of the blind rapids they were at and start yelling at them. They would be like "don't do it, It's very dangerous, I wouldn't let my daughter go down it (when parents were there). You had to be there to get the effect but it was hilarious. I have no pics but I hope they're still out there this summer doing there thing. They told me about the free concert on the water that night and I was not sure what I wanted to do yet. I went back to my bike and talked to the gnome. Well I picked his nose anyway....

So I grew some and decided to go check it out. I parked near where I sat on the grass above the stage. Well, the stage is an old metal carriage and the band was playing Pink Floyd. Perfect, I brought a few brews to sip on while they played till it was dark. As I sat there a few people chatted me up but this old lady took the cake. She was in her late seventies and in a moo-moo. She had it pouring out and was trying to take me home. I like to play games also, so I let her think I was interested. She was so funny, she told me about her last boyfriend who was 25. She mentioned how much money she had and how she lived not far away. It was crazy cougarville! I finally leveled with her and asked her where the best bar was. Well there is two and only one has a live band soooo. The band was awesome playing rocking blues in a small space. The dance floor was packed and everybody was very friendly. I was confronted by the owner when I showed up with my tank bag. He did not want it there in my hands. He laid it out, knowing somehow, it would be best to keep in back of the bar so I did. I partied till almost closing and then headed to my tent. The sky was spectacular with fast moving clouds and bits of moonlight shooting through sporadically. I wish I had more pics but it was a great day to relax, get into the local vibe and chill. I had not really done that so far since I was moving along a set trail and had a more distinct focus. Taking the break and being with people was nice. Not that the solitude wasn't great but it's nice to be around people having fun also.

Kernville to Kernville 11631----11651

Lupe Nurse screwed with this post 05-13-2013 at 09:02 PM
Old 05-14-2013, 12:10 PM   #38
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,778
Nice job...

"it was nice to be around people having fun"

The only kind I like to be around. I like your style.
Ride on!
Old 05-14-2013, 01:15 PM   #39
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,397
Sweet report.

Thanks for sharing. I am glad you posted a link in BDS.

Don't take any guff from that gnome!
MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:41 PM   #40
OR400
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Similar

Great report. I hope to do this on my 950 some day. By your description I dont see anything I could not handle. I think...
Funny, I had the exact same experience camping on the Kern River as you with the gang bangers. There was one guy that even his friends were trying to shut up but nobody would challenge him. I believe his reputation and the angel dust he was smoking in his Cool cigarettes decided this. I was in my tent with my girlfriend. No way was I leaving her to take him on. What sleep I did get was with my knife in hand.
Sounds like a great trip. Maybe we will cross paths in the desert out here someday.
Sprague
OR400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:34 PM   #41
Lupe Nurse OP
Adventurer

Responses

Thanks to all, for your responses and feedback! OR400 I have ridden with some of the BDS crew back in 2011, I think it was written up as the Waldo lake ride. Kurtw was there with his 690. The eastern OR area is spectacular and I intend to get over this late summer for a 10 day ride. If anyone has any gear questions let me know.... The next few days are excellent also!
Old 05-14-2013, 08:44 PM   #42
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupe Nurse View Post
Thanks to all, for your responses and feedback! OR400 I have ridden with some of the BDS crew back in 2011, I think it was written up as the Waldo lake ride. Kurtw was there with his 690. The eastern OR area is spectacular and I intend to get over this late summer for a 10 day ride. If anyone has any gear questions let me know.... The next few days are excellent also!
I have a gear question!!

Tell me about the extra fuel bag. Did it soak thru and stink up your stuff in the GL? I have thought about bringing one of those along and have been afraid it would funk up whatever it was tied to. I have been asking anyone who has used one how they liked it.

Tell me what you think!
Old 05-14-2013, 10:02 PM   #43
Lupe Nurse OP
Adventurer

fuel bag

It was perfect. I never had any leak or smelly gas issue. I seriously have a great sense of smell. I kept the nozzle in a zip lock in my "tank bag". Ride 38 has the info on it, since he was so kind as to let me use it on the journey! I used a bungie cord up each side and just pulled it tight. I never once thought it was a liability. It pours well and you can even get it to just drain into the tank while you ride, with a filter even. The unit was very well built and durable. Although the thing is a bit spendy!
Old 05-14-2013, 10:16 PM   #44
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupe Nurse View Post
It was perfect. I never had any leak or smelly gas issue. I seriously have a great sense of smell. I kept the nozzle in a zip lock in my "tank bag". Ride 38 has the info on it, since he was so kind as to let me use it on the journey! I used a bungie cord up each side and just pulled it tight. I never once thought it was a liability. It pours well and you can even get it to just drain into the tank while you ride, with a filter even. The unit was very well built and durable. Although the thing is a bit spendy!
So it must not be a Dromedary water bag. What is it exactly?
Old 05-14-2013, 10:34 PM   #45
Lupe Nurse OP
Adventurer

It is specifically designed to carry fuel. Ride 38 had it sent to me because of CA laws. When he could not make it I brought it to him tested and approved! You'll have to wait for his reply to get the brand.