Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2013, 05:22 PM   #46
Coachgeo
Diesel Adventurer

Oddometer: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterW View Post
The difference between humans and dumb animals is that humans use tools.

I carry a length of seatbelt webbing with D-rings sewn into one end, with that looped over my shoulder I can deadlift my bike - I can't otherwise. That's about the size of a packet of ciggies rolled up.
It'd also make it a lot easier to drag it around - though fortunately, that's untested.

A ratchet strap would likely give you that option, as well as being able to tie it round a tree and ratchet the bike around.

Sorry guys, brute strength is the dumb option here, look for options which use smarts and simple tools, not strength.

Pete
so your talking something similar to furniture moving straps (forearm fork lifts) but over the shoulder or similar?

looks like the over the shoulder kind you could even add a ratchet using yourself as the anchor but then how do you then grab the bike with out disturbing the height you raised it? hmmm........ Guess you could step in closer every couple of ratchets till your next to the bike and can finish the lift hmmmmmmmmm

Coachgeo screwed with this post 03-31-2013 at 05:32 PM
Coachgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:10 AM   #47
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warin View Post
If you want to reduce that friction loss then
rotate the D shackles in the photo 180 degrees - so the webbing slides on the flat bolt surface rather than the curve.
Get some metal tubing that goes over the shackle bolt ... now what ever have the less friction will rotate. (Problem - the webbing will tend to go to one side

The use of this pulley system assumes that you have something to anchor too. If you don't have one of those you are back to a dead lift.
I don't find much difference between the polished stainless shackle and bolt in terms of friction, using the climbing strap.

If you are using cordage (up to 3/16"/4mm), Ronstan has introduced a new "Sheaveless Block" called the SHOCK that is extremely compact and light. Safe working load up to 385 lbs. Very clever, though I prefer the nylon climbing webbing, which has a 2,000 lb working load.

Around here there's usually a tree or rock to anchor to: YMMV.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

garandman screwed with this post 04-01-2013 at 07:21 AM
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:59 AM   #48
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgeo View Post
so your talking something similar to furniture moving straps (forearm fork lifts) but over the shoulder or similar?

looks like the over the shoulder kind you could even add a ratchet using yourself as the anchor but then how do you then grab the bike with out disturbing the height you raised it? hmmm........ Guess you could step in closer every couple of ratchets till your next to the bike and can finish the lift hmmmmmmmmm
Yes, mine has D-rings like a helmet strap so I slip it through a frame rail or the crash bars, through the D-rings and cinch it up, then just lift with my legs.

I'm not particularly strong, but what I found was an absolute bastard was that I had to shift my grip to get the bike all the way up - just couldn't do that without dropping it again. With the strap, it comes up most of the way, all the lifting done with my legs. My arms are relatively free so I can grab the bike at that point and finish the lift. Those furnature straps look at least as good.

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:12 AM   #49
billy1000cc
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Squatting Hogs

I had a summer job as a Harley rep and drunks were often knocking over bikes. I used the "apply front break and squat" technique displayed in the video many times without hurting myself the bikes or the drunks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84YfDGKA4Og
billy1000cc is offline   Reply With Quote