User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 08:04 AM   #1
NesquikNinja OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Greasing Steering & Swingarm Bearings- CRF250L

Alright, so I have come across some information indicating that Honda did not do a very good job properly greasing these components from the factory on the 2013 CRF250L.

Basically, I am looking for advice not on HOW to do this myself, but on whether or not I should even attempt it.

I am normally the type to do chain, brakes, and oil, and leave the rest to the shop. I hate doing maintenance that I have not been trained to do.

However, after calling my normal shop, they quoted me $350 for the work, as the swingarm and front end both have to be removed to complete the job. The thought of putting $350 into maintenance on a 2013 bike because Honda did it wrong aggravates me.

So I am looking for advice on the difficulty of this job. The thought of removing the swing arm or front end makes me very nervous. If it were brakes, oil, removing wheels, messing with the chain, or something I am familiar with, I'd just do it. But it is not.

I will likely just drop it off at my normal shop tomorrow. Its not a frequent maintenance thing, and I am not really comfortable even attempting it myself.

Thanks for any tips!

NesquikNinja screwed with this post 03-27-2013 at 08:17 AM
NesquikNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:39 AM   #2
Buliwyf
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
I don't think any bike comes with enough grease there. The rear linkage is extremely easy to pull and relube. Tons of vids on youtube of riders lubing CRF450r's. Once your bike is off the ground it's only a matter of 30min and a 3/8" ratchet set usually. Plop in some more grease and coat the pin well and you're done.

Don't forget the pivot:
(for example on the DRZ: http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/566...n-maintenance/)
I think some less racey bikes like my DRZ400 might even have grease fittings, but that still deosn't take care of the pivot.

I wouldn't really worry about the head bearings. Regrease them if you ever pull your forks for whatever reason.

Just pick up a manual. You're going to need one anyways. You really should know how to grease the rear suspension. It's an easy task, you have to start somewhere.

Buliwyf screwed with this post 03-27-2013 at 09:48 AM
Buliwyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:11 AM   #3
Navin
Unwounding

Oddometer: 6,793
Either end should only take about, at the most, an hour each. If you can remove a wheel, you can do the rest. It only goes together one way, and if you end up with extra parts you messed up.

Come back and ask for advice if you hit a snag. Know the torque values and buy a tub of Bel-Ray WP grease. Check if you have ball or roller bearings in the steering head. If they are ball, get a tapered roller bearing conversion from All Balls, trust me, worth every penny of under $50.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote