ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2013, 08:04 PM   #436
Indiana Bones
Ride or Die

Oddometer: 1,136
I've reached 4 mins and 10 secs of edited footage. Soooo much work to do this crap but I made a few promises and I plan on keeping them. Stay tuned....

Sent from my Torque using Tapatalk
Old 11-05-2013, 08:13 PM   #437
KWC
aka "Canadian Karl"

Oddometer: 876
MY "loose nuts" ride report, pics and grainy vids !

KWC here from the Central Illinois group. I will chime in here with the oft-mentioned kudos for Loose Nut and his crew on an extremely well-planned and thought out ride and weekend. I thoroughly enjoyed myself and meeting so many of the inmates from Indiana. My riding buddies this weekend were VFRPILOT from Decatur, IL (we call him the "route whisperer" back home) and the gentleman sodbuster DIRTFARMERRICH from Monticello, IL. During some stints we were joined by fellow Pucky Huddler and real-life Marlboro man HAZMAN, as well as JAILOR8 (released from the pen for Saturday), and the petrol-challenged F800 rider BYKE GUY (I think I have that right).

Here VFRPILOT and I spool up the frosty steeds. The hotel cart behind makes it look like time-lord Gary just stepped into the ride from his Tardis (yes, I said hotel cart, were non-camping lightweights this weekend).

Here VFRPILOT bravely tests the depth of the first water crossing on the route. I figure Bones crossed this one on the back wheel....or jumped it....or teleported....or something.

We decided to go find a bridge....a long ass bridge! I was really hoping for "Who would cross the Bridge of Death must answer me these questions three, ere the other side he see" but all she wanted was three bucks

The only way to appreciate the length of this bridge for someone who wasn't there is a grainy video of the crossing with goofy background music....

Gary seems to be waiting for me to say "three-two-one-GO!"

Rest stop in the first muddy section...we were subsequently blasted past by several "yoots" with the full exuberance of the young and fearless on display.

Here the HAZMAN, oddly without a ciggy in his mouth, wonders if since those two wheels on the pump are both the same size...should he put them on his supermoto? They do have more tread than the tires he was running.

Fun in the farm field water crossing....we stopped ahead and saw some of you FF's go around it!

Start of Day 2, VFRPILOT " Damn, that is a luxuriant and quite impressive and manly beard on such a young feller"...quite suddenly Gary decides to make a point to try Just for Men.

As you can see from my glasses in this pic, I was having a little visibility problem that morning...

....so you can imagine how well I could see when this happened:

I love this segment, the shitty light-handling of my crappy camera made it look like we were riding into a nuclear blast or a supernova....."No Gary! ride AWAY from the light!"

This section of road on Day 2 had to be my favorite....lots of great scenery and changeable road surface to keep you on your toes. We were joined on this leg by F800 Rider BYKE GUY who tore this segment up like a stud despite having his fuel light on for 80 miles!

Back at the truck and loading up....muddy boots! happy rider!

Hope to see you all next year!

Vinicius de Moraes

KWC screwed with this post 11-05-2013 at 08:25 PM
KWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:27 PM   #438
Loose Nut OP
wannabe

Oddometer: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickdee View Post
I was bummed to miss this ride. I love the pics and videos, they make me crave the next ride. My question is: are we cool to recreate this ride on our own time using the tracks that were posted or did you have some special permissions to go onto some of the sections for last weekend only? I don't want to do anything to risk any permissions you hope to get for 2014. I can't tell from the pics whether all the areas traveled are public or if you had some permissions....or some don't ask / don't tell sections. As long as I'm not harming land or risking getting shot I usually don't mind stretching the legalities a bit. Thanks

cool to ride anytime.......there were no special permissions except for visiting the caves just north of shoals.

all the roads we tracked show up on at least one map as county roads........of course some of us may have gotten slighty off the tracks and been in a dont ask dont tell spot......most have the county road signs to follow............of course some of the farmers in the bottoms think that the county roads are their own property.......a couple of the roads are just barely recognizable of having been a road a long time ago.........all of the places we went are regularly traveled by the locals............the tracks are posted for anybody to use anytime, though it seems that deer gun season brings out the most wackos...........

the knobby sections may run along some prime deer hunting spots.........i just try not to be out there during gun season............the bow hunters seem to be a more friendly group to me........

it'll be years before the Loose Nut comes back through these parts........we will post complete new tracks in a new area each year.......first saturday/sunday of November forever, mark your calendars. 2014 is in the early planning stages right now and will be a collaboration with BigDogAdventures in southern Illinois. plan right now is to start both saturday and sunday from the same location - a campground...........folks can show up, set up their gear for the weekend, have a good place to leave tow vehicles if they trailer in, we'll try to semi organize a pot luck campfire dinner for both friday and saturday evening...........the bean soup RedBirdStation brought this year was unbeleivably delicious.........friday and saturday night fresh cobblers and ice cream seemed to go over pretty well also.........i'm tellin ya right now i am getting excited already for the 2014 Loose Nut Dual Sport Ride..........we plan on making it better than this year........BigDogAdventures has more knowledge of the backroads of southern Illinois and the points of interest and has offered his help in putting together the tracks, we didnt have to beg too much and Mrs. Nuts was threatening to withold the peach cobbler, so we caught him at a weak moment.

it's gonna be a GREAT ride.............its gonna be better than this year and i had a hoots

so, yes go ahead and ride the 2013 tracks at your convenience and dont forget about the 2012 tracks either.........that's a fun ride also
"I took a topographic map and picked out on it, by means of the contour lines and the blank space showing no settlement, what seemed to be the wildest part of these regions; and there I went...." Horace Kephart-1906
Loose Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:39 PM   #439
Loose Nut OP
wannabe

Laugh

awesome pics and stories..........you guys are GREAT!.......please keep 'em coming! there were so many bikes and groups, i really didnt get a chance to visit or ride with many of you........seeing all your pictures is almost as good as getting to ride along

and if somebody got a picture of me and my trusty DR up on picture rock please post it........after my failed attempt last year, i'm having trouble convincing IndianaBones that i actually made it up on The Rock this year.......
"I took a topographic map and picked out on it, by means of the contour lines and the blank space showing no settlement, what seemed to be the wildest part of these regions; and there I went...." Horace Kephart-1906
Old 11-05-2013, 11:17 PM   #440
c-zulu
Resident Dirt Burner

Oddometer: 1,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loose Nut View Post
.......first saturday/sunday of November forever, mark your calendars. 2014 is in the early planning stages right now

Marked. That looks like a fun time.
MOTO GUZZI STELVIO NTX---VICTORY KINGPIN TOUR
c-zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:29 AM   #441
NobeyamaGP
Nerdy Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
awesome pics and stories..........you guys are GREAT!.......please keep 'em coming! there were so many bikes and groups, i really didnt get a chance to visit or ride with many of you........seeing all your pictures is almost as good as getting to ride along

and if somebody got a picture of me and my trusty DR up on picture rock please post it........after my failed attempt last year, i'm having trouble convincing IndianaBones that i actually made it up on The Rock this year.......
I can handle that! You made getting up on that rock look so easy.

2012 Triumph Tiger 800XC
1981 Kawasaki KZ440 LTD
NobeyamaGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:31 AM   #442
Loose Nut OP
wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobeyamaGP View Post
I can handle that! You made getting up on that rock look so easy.

thankyou thankyou Nobeyama!

Hey Bones...........witnesses...........

Nobeyama, it was nice to meet you and get to ride and hang out with you and the Tiger........it was awesome to watch you ride that thing through the less than "ideal" sections........you da man!
Old 11-06-2013, 07:10 AM   #443
musicallydeclind
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KWC View Post

Start of Day 2, VFRPILOT " Damn, that is a luxuriant and quite impressive and manly beard on such a young feller"...quite suddenly Gary decides to make a point to try Just for Men.

Thanks for the kind and profound words describing my chin warmer. It was nice talking to you and Gary about the midwest Bimmer dealers, horrendous crashes in So. Ill, and artistic fuel tank additions.
musicallydeclind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:14 AM   #444
AC909
Great Job!

Oddometer: 1,081
Awesome pics and videos guys! Keep em' coming!!
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1010764
AC909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:24 AM   #445
TooSlow4U
2 Wheel Wonder Rider

Oddometer: 1,075
I'm really enjoying all of the pics & vids. Keep 'em coming. I've already written in indelible ink the dates for next years ride! This year was an absolute hoot! My only regret is forgetting to ask for a ride in Raaf's sidehack rig. So, whatchya think Hackerman? How would you like a sidehack monkey/photographer to hold that right side down sometime?

TooSlow4U is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:26 AM   #446
Backmarker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSlow4U View Post
I'm really enjoying all of the pics & vids. Keep 'em coming. I've already written in indelible ink the dates for next years ride! This year was an absolute hoot! My only regret is forgetting to ask for a ride in Raaf's sidehack rig. So, whatchya think Hackerman? How would you like a sidehack monkey/photographer to hold that right side down sometime?
Beware there is no heat in the cart..... Just sayin..
Old 11-06-2013, 08:42 AM   #447
Indiana Bones
Ride or Die

Oddometer: 1,136
Quote:

Nobeyama, it was nice to meet you and get to ride and hang out with you and the Tiger........it was awesome to watch you ride that thing through the less than "ideal" sections........you da man!

I don't know man...you're standing next to your bike. Looks kinda fishy to me.

Good job and sweet pic!

Sent from my Torque using Tapatalk
Old 11-06-2013, 09:22 AM   #448
Backmarker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,267
Quote:

Funny how all them rocks look the same...
Old 11-06-2013, 09:25 AM   #449
Loose Nut OP
wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Bones View Post

I don't know man...you're standing next to your bike.

Looks kinda fishy to me.

you know we WILL have a picture rock next year also........

i guess i'll have to try and keep up with your group or at least get it on video
Old 11-06-2013, 09:27 AM   #450
Loose Nut OP
wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backmarker View Post
Funny how all them rocks look the same...

you're just jealous 'cause you didnt conquer The Rock............