ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2013, 01:49 PM   #61
Gillihan
Round Mound of Sound

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Bones View Post
I thought the ride through Evansville was awesome!

Watching that dog book it across the field towards Kenny..."No, way he's gonna, no effin way he's gonna, BAM, dog spins 540, and dead dog.
GOLLY! Vile bike chasing varmin, gun fire, and green machine eating gravel ruts! Why would anyone NOT want to ride with you?
Gillihan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:41 PM   #62
Loose Nut OP
wannabe

Oddometer: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdfog2 View Post
Please add me to the list of riders.

I have had motorcycles for a long time.

I have not ridden on any kind of organized ride - EVER. ( I am safe but I will need to understand the rules of riding together)

In fact, I haven't ridden with anyone else in a couple of years. All the folks I know that have bikes have Cruisers and they don't ride further than a bar in an adjacent town most of the time. I don't drink and ride so I don't have anyone to ride with usually. (Plus, they can't take their wimpy asses on gravel)

happy to have you come along.......not many rules with this group. maybe thats part of what keeps it fun. we will post a gps track that you can download to a gps. the track can be followed at an individual pace that you are comfortable with.........this really isnt an organized ride.......its just a really fun backroad, gravel, farm road route on some of our favorite roads that anybody can ride at anytime. most of the riders will have a gps with the weekend tracks to follow. if a rider doesnt have a gps, he /she can pair up with someone or a group and follow them..........the only organization is throwing out a date, suggested food, gas and lodging options.......because the more the merrier. we had a great turnout last year that sorta bunched into smaller group to minimize riding in dust. it worked out that everyone had a gps or found someone to follow. pretty much everyone started together, sorta ate lunch together and gathered for supper and stories saturday evening. there will be some folks who blow past all the points of interest, historical interests and photo opportunities and complain the ride is too short.........others, like me may dilly dally around, stop to visit, photo, explore and roll in well after dark.

so far i have rode the entire route on my vstrom.....yes there have been some challenging spots (and it was dry)........the challenging spots will be all but impassible on a bike without knobbies if it is wet........we've got bypasses and work arounds for most of them so that you wont miss much........lots of dirt roads in the river bottoms (not really technical riding),but when it gets wet, they are slick and slimy and knobbies are highly recommended to increase your riding pleasure.

keep following and more details will be posted..........this is going to be a GREAT ride
Loose Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:14 PM   #63
wasions
Hang 10

Oddometer: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loose Nut View Post
there will be some folks who blow past all the points of interest, historical interests and photo opportunities and complain the ride is too short
Yeah. Not gonna do that this year.

Also, not gonna bring the big ol' bike.
Fresh knobs on the DR, just for this ride.
Let's go!

'06 Tiger (HANG 10); '99 DR350
"Improvement makes straight roads; but the crooked roads without improvement are roads of Genius." - William Blake
wasions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:14 PM   #64
Loose Nut OP
wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasions View Post
Yeah. Not gonna do that this year.

Also, not gonna bring the big ol' bike.
Fresh knobs on the DR, just for this ride.
Let's go!
GlaD To Have You Back...........last year you guys came to ride........fast........maybe i can talk you guys into stopping and smelling the roses this year...........or at least slowing down enough so we can wave as you zoom by.

i think you'll have more fun on the DR than your Tiger.........saturday is a lot of dirt roads with a few sandy places..............lighter will be better. specially if it has rained and the dirt roads get slimy

anxious to see you again.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:23 PM   #65
hackrman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
facebook

Hey guys! I created a Facebook Event for this. Look it up!

https://www.facebook.com/events/5015...1516616571038/

hackrman screwed with this post 08-26-2013 at 01:54 PM
hackrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:32 PM   #66
nickgindy
Doing it Wrong

Oddometer: 2,439
Link us

In memory of IMPD Officer Perry Renn. E.O.W July 5, 2014. "I will always get out of my car."
2003 Sv650s; 2012 BMW F650GS; 1999 Suzuki Dr 350se
http://www.youtube.com/fetuss10
nickgindy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:59 PM   #67
billgo77
billgo77

Oddometer: 68
Start in Vincennes, Indiana

Vincennes is the first capital of Indiana. George Roger Clark was captured by Indians here in 1781, and he convinced them to spare his life by playing harmonica to them. I'm imagining the peace pipes out over the fire, and Geo R.Clark wailing some early classic settler tunes on the Harminica. I'll bet it really soothed the ragged nerves of both parties. This act of creative process led to a 6 month time of peace with the Kickapoo Indians in the area. I'm not sure of the exact details to be true, but you can read the historical signs down by the river at the George Roger Clark Memorial to get the "rest of the story" It's a cool start to a great weekend.

billgo77 screwed with this post 08-26-2013 at 09:38 PM
billgo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:08 PM   #68
billgo77
billgo77

Could I ride a Versys on this years' Loose Nut

I've been pre-riding some of the sections. I've taken my Wr250R on some and I loved the small stature and playful sandbar experience. I've done part of it on the Versys. Great comfort and good manners on gravel, and really fast when I twist on the noise maker. I'm not sure which to ride. love them both. I have to admit though, based on some of the river road sections I"ve ridden, if wet, I think I will develop a love/ hate relationship with the Versys. Some of you saw my pretty blue Versys laying down for a rest in a sulfer mud hole last year. It wasn't pretty!
Old 08-26-2013, 09:34 PM   #69
billgo77
billgo77

Route planning

Steve Fritchley is much of the energy behind the great event and he is the original Loose Nut. If you meet him, you will completely understand. He and Raaf collaborate on the track as they pour over the various maps, stories from locals, previous rides, etc. He pushes out a track and asks me to take a look. So I was pre-riding the track, and I come across an obscure waypoint called "Is there a bridge here?" Well Steve, take a look at what Sweazy found here. Pretty cool, huh?http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p491/billgo77/DSCF13111024x768_zps3243df9a.jpg
Old 08-27-2013, 01:29 AM   #70
hackrman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Great pics as always
hackrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:49 AM   #71
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by billgo77 View Post
Vincennes is the first capital of Indiana. George Roger Clark was captured by Indians here in 1781, and he convinced them to spare his life by playing harmonica to them. I'm imagining the peace pipes out over the fire, and Geo R.Clark wailing some early classic settler tunes on the Harminica. I'll bet it really soothed the ragged nerves of both parties. This act of creative process led to a 6 month time of peace with the Kickapoo Indians in the area. I'm not sure of the exact details to be true, but you can read the historical signs down by the river at the George Roger Clark Memorial to get the "rest of the story" It's a cool start to a great weekend.
So we will start in Vincennes instead of Evansville this time Bill? Any idea what the night stop will be on Saturday yet?
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:43 AM   #72
Loose Nut OP
wannabe

Saturday night will be in Washington, Indiana.

we've got a great suggestion for supper - Bobe's Pizza - not just pizza, but a full menu eatery and cold beverages.

several hotel options in Washington - we'll post the contact info for them

Glendale Fish and Wildlife Area / Dogwood Lake Campground just southeast of Washington will be the suggested campground - it's really a nice campground with primative sites to full hook-ups - restrooms with showers, etc

we'll also be posting the contact info for several hotel options in Vincennes

Yeeeeehaaaaw

Old 08-28-2013, 07:09 PM   #73
billgo77
billgo77

Cool Open Grating Bridge

I was asked to find a cool bridge for the route, same bridge a couple of posts ago. I think we did pretty well here. Built in 1903. Open grating road bed. You MC riders know how that pulls your front tire around. Un-nerving, but it adds to the adventure! BTW, I love the self serving signs of the day. They put the names of the people who approved the project, the guy who writes the check, the guy who selects the contractor, and finally, they put their company name on there. I've spend over $100 M on projects and only get a shirt! good stuff...

billgo77 screwed with this post 08-28-2013 at 07:34 PM
Old 08-28-2013, 07:21 PM   #74
billgo77
billgo77

Apparently, They've had a problem with this!

I love ironic and interesting signs. So we were tooling along the route and had to stop at this one. Hey, it's just good common sense, but nonetheless, we need reminded to fly right.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:03 AM   #75
billgo77
billgo77

Round Barn

Rounds barns are a rare find. This one rests in glory South of Washington, IN. Well restored and looking good. When you see this barn, you'll know you are coming up on the best curves and elevation change of the whole weekend. It was a fun pre-ride. Loose Nut! Send me out again... I"ll be a good scout, I promise!