ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2013, 05:27 AM   #76
billgo77
billgo77

Oddometer: 68
Vincennes to Washington Indiana

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wou

Loose Nut, We start in Vincennes, and we are staying over in Washington Saturday night. Return to Vincennes the next day. It take 2 days to make the route. Some will get in after dark Saturday night after a long hard day of riding.
If you want to find a more efficient way to do the trip, googlemap it like I did. I think I can do the round trip in about an hour on straight smooth roads. One tank of fuel, no knobbies needed, the wife can double up, no camping gear, no need to suffer through those curves and elevation changes, no sand and mud, no woods and ruts, no bad asphalt and gravel. No curvy rivers and creeks to get through, No stopping for pictures, no bad food at old ma and pa restaraunts, no wild animals, no dragging mud into the hotel and gas stations. You get it.
billgo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:01 PM   #77
Loose Nut OP
wannabe

Oddometer: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by billgo77 View Post
https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wou

Loose Nut, We start in Vincennes, and we are staying over in Washington Saturday night. Return to Vincennes the next day. It take 2 days to make the route. Some will get in after dark Saturday night after a long hard day of riding.
If you want to find a more efficient way to do the trip, googlemap it like I did. I think I can do the round trip in about an hour on straight smooth roads. One tank of fuel, no knobbies needed, the wife can double up, no camping gear, no need to suffer through those curves and elevation changes, no sand and mud, no woods and ruts, no bad asphalt and gravel. No curvy rivers and creeks to get through, No stopping for pictures, no bad food at old ma and pa restaraunts, no wild animals, no dragging mud into the hotel and gas stations. You get it.

AND WHAT FUN WOULD THAT BE???............therefore, I'm planning to take at least two days, burn through more than one tank of gas, wear out some good knobby tires, try to talk my wife into riding her own bike, drag along more camping gear than we really need, run off in the ditch on the curvy roads, jump some of those elevation changes, fall down in the sand, tip over / get wet in the creek bottoms, take lots of pictures, (VERY SELDOM HAVE I HAD BAD FOOD AT A Mom&Pops), scare up some wild animals, and drag in after dark tired and muddy...........oh by the way, I'll probably tell some lies and complain alot too.

but on a more serious note, these are all mapped public roads - some of varying degrees of disrepair and abandonment - you'll be able to find work arounds for any of the sections (dirt roads, sand pits, creeks, etc....) that you are not comfortable riding...........remember, it's your bike - you ride it within your level of skill and capabilities.

Yessiree, "the cowards never started and weak died along the way".............you know this is gonna be a GREAT ride!

Loose Nut
Loose Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:30 AM   #78
hackrman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
So it sounds like you two are planning on behaving the way you always do. Hmmmm.......
I'll be there
hackrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:58 PM   #79
aceflyer32
Snoopy

Oddometer: 28
Looks like I missed a really nice ride last year. I hope to make it this year. I met some of you two years ago on the swinging bridges ride in Missouri, and look forward to seeing you all again.
aceflyer32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:18 AM   #80
billgo77
billgo77

What the heck is Hindustan Falls?

On the way to Hindustan Falls, I glimpse this shear bluff out of the corner of my eye. It is cool up next to the cliff (literally). I suspect that on Nov 2-3, the leaves will be gone and this cliff will be easy to spot from the road. It seems every boy in the county writes of his new love at this spot. cute! Bill + Laura= kisses!!! Hah!

So Hindustan Falls is a ghost town. According to wiki: "By 1820, about 1,200 people lived in the new town, making it one of the largest settlements in frontier Indiana. Many lived on houseboats on the White River. The surge of population toward new land on the Indiana and Illinois frontiers, as well as Hindostan's location along the stagecoach route, meant that it was constantly open to carriers of disease. Disease eventually destroyed the town." Other sources called out Bubonic Plague as the demise of about half the population, and many who remained moved to where Loogoote now stands. The spot in the river is interesting looking. When the water is low, you can ride out onto the rock ledge. Look for signs of the Mill located where I am standing here.

My Garmin is reporting me as standing in the middle of the river here. Nate parking in the river too!
!

billgo77 screwed with this post 09-01-2013 at 07:28 AM
Old 09-05-2013, 07:01 PM   #81
billgo77
billgo77

Down by the White River

LooseNut said, "hey, here's a section that we are considering putting on the 2013 ride. Go ride it and report back" It was a nice day. The downside, is I cant remember exactly where this is. It's along the White River, and this sandbar is not widely visited.. I assure you that if you follow the GPS track that will be put out, you'll come across this spot. Tough one for big bikes, but you dirt bikers are gonna love the trail to get here.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:51 PM   #82
crash alot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
found this road just outside of Washington, IN..........

this will be a fun ride.
2011 ducati multi 1200 S
2011 DR 650
crash alot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:33 AM   #83
Loose Nut OP
wannabe

Oddometer: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash alot View Post

this will be a fun ride.

Easy Now Crashalot........1500 miles west of town may be TOO far for some of us to ride and get back to work on Monday............
Loose Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:53 AM   #84
Small's
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Was just there in April. What a beautiful place.
Small's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:22 AM   #85
brewski83
JUST SPIT ON IT

Oddometer: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash alot View Post

this will be a fun ride.
So that's where Porter Ridge is! I knew it was a different world there but damn!
brewski83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:26 AM   #86
Carter O
KLR Carter

Oddometer: 29
Can't wait . Keep the IMFO coming
Carter O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:56 AM   #87
billgo77
billgo77

Sometimes, the ride itself is enough! Near Shoals on the LooseNut 2013 route.

But even on the best day, you gotta stop for nourishment. This is also on the route. I know I'm gonna love meeting whoever I find in here! PeTA- People Eating Tasty Animals! I love it.

billgo77 screwed with this post 09-08-2013 at 07:14 AM
Old 09-09-2013, 11:14 AM   #88
RedBirdStation
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 525
How many miles will each day be?
Not me! I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.
RedBirdStation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:36 AM   #89
hackrman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
QUOTE=RedBirdStation;22288871]How many miles will each day be?[/QUOTE]
Not certain that has been determined exactly. But I think it is about like last year. On the order of 220 miles saturday and 150 miles Sunday. I am sure Loose Nut will post that as soon as he has exact numbers.
hackrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:04 AM   #90
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,318
Looks like it will have to be 2014 for me Billgo. Docs just told me I need shoulder surgery and that is Oct 4th...... That left shoulder never healed after the Oct 2012 streetbike crash. Looks like 6 wks or so (no way) without riding afterwards also.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote