ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2013, 10:21 AM   #1
bdx OP
Wheeeee!

Oddometer: 161
50 West/99 South

I've laid out a trip for this summer. From Lakin, KS - US 50 west to Sacremento and then US 99 south through the farm land. Will eventually end up in San Diego, but I'm wondering if there are some friendly ADVers in the area that would offer up a secure back yard for camping? I'm not necessesarily trying to get by on the "cheap" as much as I am trying to make this trip more about the trip and less about the destination. I grew up living on Hwy 50 and have never really been west of Gunnison Colorado on that highway. So I decided to pay tribute to my home highway and see where it goes. Being from farm country, I have always wanted to see California agriculture so I'm taking 99 south from Sacremento. Third, I have noticed in my travels that the majority of ADV riders I've met on my rides are all about my age and have a lot in common, so I thought I might try to meet more of them and have a longer visit than, "Hey, Nice bike."

I don't need much. Would like to charge laptop/phone, and be able to keep an eye on my bike or know that it is secure. I also prefer a low probability of late night anal rape, but that's just me.

Trip planned for mid to late summer. No definite dates yet. If you are on the route and wouldn't mind a an overnighter, just reply here and I will PM you when I get a better time frame.
Thanks for your consideration.

Somebody's gonna have to go back and get a shitload of dimes.
bdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:46 PM   #2
RocknTroll
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 744
Just so happens I'm bout 1 mile from the west end of 50, not into anal sex at all so that ain't gonna be a problem.

Depending if we're around, small fenced yard and could probably make some room in the garage.

Keep me posted

"Stay smart. Don't put your stupid hat on at this point in time... " Gov. Pat McCrory
RocknTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:19 PM   #3
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,372
35 miles east of Los Angeles in the north/east corner of LA County, walk to San Bernardino County!

If we are around.

Secure fenced acre in the burbs.

TUCKERS screwed with this post 07-11-2013 at 06:39 PM
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:38 PM   #4
bdx OP
Wheeeee!

Thanks. I will be in touch.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:02 PM   #5
MrEndo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 415
Make sure you get a photo of the road sign on e/b 50 just west of Sacramento that says "Ocean City MD 3043 Mi". There's one in Ocean City with Sacramento on it. Been there, done that..
2006 950 Adv S/2002 640 Adv/1970 Yamaha RT1
MrEndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:14 PM   #6
DowDuer
!rn00b-aK

Oddometer: 213
I'd encourage you to go through the mountains or all the way to the coast in California. The central valley can be quite warm, and is not the most beautiful part of the state. Also, consider visiting Northern California, if it is not on fire(This winter was very dry). Highway 36 from the coast East is an excellent motorcycle road.
DowDuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:29 AM   #7
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,476
I share that feeling. The Central Valley can be 100 degrees, hwy 99 is a major truck artery and the Central Valley looks all the same, 15 miles of it is plenty.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:10 AM   #8
bdx OP
Wheeeee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowDuer View Post
I'd encourage you to go through the mountains or all the way to the coast in California. The central valley can be quite warm, and is not the most beautiful part of the state. Also, consider visiting Northern California, if it is not on fire(This winter was very dry). Highway 36 from the coast East is an excellent motorcycle road.
I appreciate the input. But, 100 degrees is not a deterrent. I ride that pretty regular. I also intend to cut over to Hwy 1 at Ventura and follow that south. However plain/repetitive/ugly the Central Valley may be, it has been on my list of places to visit for quite some time. Look at a map of eastern Colorado and Western Kansas where I have spent the majority of my life. It doesn't get any more plain or repetitive than this. We grow corn, wheat, milo a few soybeans and a lot of cattle. I am very excited to see fields of broccolli, asparagus, lettuce and groves of almonds and walnuts. It is a very different way of farming than what we do out here and I want to see it. I don't ride fast, I don't "live for twisties". I know California has many awesome places to ride and it would take years to explore. I don't have that kind of time.
If you have suggestions on places to eat or stay or see on my intended route, I would appreciate any suggestions.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:18 AM   #9
mongox
ARRRRGH!!!

Oddometer: 2,487
A Kansas boy. My mother is from Marysville Ks. and both my parents went to KU. So I've got Jayhawk in my blood. Ditto on the 99. It is probably one of the worst routes in the state. If you go a little further west you can go down some other nice routes. The coast (Hwy 1), 101, hwy 25, heck even hwy 33 is alot better than 99. 101 has a lot af Agriculture along it. I live on 20 acres in the boonies by Gilroy, south of the Bay area. It is what Califonia used to be. Plenty of camping and real quiet.

"Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music" unknown
mongox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:50 AM   #10
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,401
As long as you're not in some sort of hurry, I would suggest that you take Highway 49 south instead of Highway 99. You can get on 49 at Placerville and follow it all the way to Oakhurst, then take 41 through Fresno to Highway 99. Much, much better scenery and also a much more interesting road. There should be several camping areas along Highway 49 that you can choose from if you don't mind staying by a lake.

There is almost nothing at all interesting on Highway 99 between Sacramento and Fresno and you'll be working your way around trucks the whole way. Highway 49 would be a much better choice.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:59 AM   #11
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,401
Rereading your post about wanting to see farmland, at least consider a route more like this one where you'll actually be going past a few farms:

http://goo.gl/maps/njs3X

You still won't see too much farming on 99 (not much more than you would see on Highway 49). You could also cut over to Highway 33 somewhere after Modesto and you'll be riding right through a bunch of farms. But if you want to see any farms up close, you have to stay off of Highway 99 and I-5.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:00 PM   #12
RocknTroll
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 744
Right on 50 in Ely NV

http://hotelnevada.com/

Haven't stayed here but the make some killer pancakes and got all kindsa interesting stuff on display, and just West of Ely take a ride up to the top of the open pit mine, pretty amazing lookin into it

Seems like more of the nut orchards are on 99 north of Sacramento, Yuba City to Red Bluff, between Sac and Yuba City mostly Rice South of Sac lottsa grapes.

One of those cool vests could come in pretty handy

"Stay smart. Don't put your stupid hat on at this point in time... " Gov. Pat McCrory
RocknTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:52 PM   #13
bdx OP
Wheeeee!

Thanks scottrnelson. That's the kind of info I need. Looking at the map, it looks like you could see plenty of farm ground from 99, but I know that can be deceiving. I will give your route a study.

Thanks RocknTroll. I was looking at Ely for an overnight so that would be perfect.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:28 PM   #14
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdx View Post
I appreciate the input. But, 100 degrees is not a deterrent. I ride that pretty regular. I also intend to cut over to Hwy 1 at Ventura and follow that south. However plain/repetitive/ugly the Central Valley may be, it has been on my list of places to visit for quite some time. Look at a map of eastern Colorado and Western Kansas where I have spent the majority of my life. It doesn't get any more plain or repetitive than this. We grow corn, wheat, milo a few soybeans and a lot of cattle. I am very excited to see fields of broccolli, asparagus, lettuce and groves of almonds and walnuts. It is a very different way of farming than what we do out here and I want to see it. I don't ride fast, I don't "live for twisties". I know California has many awesome places to ride and it would take years to explore. I don't have that kind of time.
If you have suggestions on places to eat or stay or see on my intended route, I would appreciate any suggestions.
I was born in Modesto and grew up on a farm. You want to get up and personal with the produce, ride some on the east or west side of the valley.

You want a semi up your ass and a look at the bill boards, hwy 99 is your ticket.

You won't find broccoli, asparagus, lettuce in the central valley. That grows around Salinas or in the Delta. What you will see is some almonds, walnuts and grapes. Further south are citrus and cotton. The point is you won't see much of anything unless get off 99.

itsatdm screwed with this post 03-26-2013 at 04:25 PM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:32 PM   #15
bdx OP
Wheeeee!

Got it

OK itsatdm. I got the message. It just appeared to me that ya'll were thinking that no one would want to look at farm country. Directing me to the mountains or coast. I will reconsider. I guess I will have to miss the worlds largest thermometer.