ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 09:36 AM   #16
tahoeacr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,210
I could probably put you up in Stateline, Nv. It's the Nevada side of South Lake Tahoe. Depending on when you go, just bought a foreclosure so you could get a house all to your self. Maybe I'll join you to SoCal. All good advice on here for you.
I worked a Summer out in Ely,Nv. Good riding out there for the Adventure style bikes. Check in to the TAT as is can be picked up just South of town a few miles and road West until it crosses 50.
tahoeacr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:12 AM   #17
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,556
I sounded a little harsh, but it is reality. 50 years ago it would have been a workable plan. 99 is the obvious choice, the problem being all the little cities have gotten big and closer together.

I can piece together a circuitous route that will get you through some examples, but none of the major roadways run in same direction as 99.

Hwy 5 on the west is the limit of the Valley and 49 on the east really outside of valley farmland.

99 is also the divider for water delivery. To the east there are a lot of grapes, walnuts, almonds and citrus. To the west are crops like tomatoes, onions, peppers and further south cotton. They are also larger in size and some are corporate. Some are drying up for lack of water.

You will see lots of pasture south of Sac to Lodi before you see other crops. It is hard to generalize as lots of different crops are grown.

Hwy 65 in the south east and 33 on the west would get you some feeling for the area.

itsatdm screwed with this post 03-30-2013 at 06:49 AM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:35 AM   #18
bdx OP
Wheeeee!

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrnelson View Post
Rereading your post about wanting to see farmland, at least consider a route more like this one where you'll actually be going past a few farms:

http://goo.gl/maps/njs3X
@ ITSATDM, Thanks. This is a route proposed by scottrnelson. What is your opinion of that? I have to end up in San Diego, my son is in the Navy there and the goal of the trip is to visit him. So I am trying to make best time possible and still take the scenic route. I won't have much time for meandering off on trails. As it is its going to be 3 days there, 3 days back with a couple days in SD and that pretty much shoots the vay cay in the ass.

What I am rambling on about is: All the posts and advice are appreciated.

While Ulysses Kansas is not really on anyone's trip planner, If you are ever on your way from point A to point B and need an overnight, I can sure put your up. We get a few ADV bikes through here that are following US160 but most are headed to south to points unknown.

Somebody's gonna have to go back and get a shitload of dimes.
bdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:51 AM   #19
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

That looks OK. At Riverbank he is 3 miles from from the old ranch. I would probably take Jack Tone from Brandt to 120, then tie in with what he has posted.

I would get off 99 at 152 and take 33 south to 5. Depending on your schedule you could pick up 198, cross the valley to 65 that goes into Blakersfield.

How long will it take? I would be more interested in starting a pool on the number of stop signes.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:56 PM   #20
RocknTroll
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdx View Post
OK itsatdm. I got the message. It just appeared to me that ya'll were thinking that no one would want to look at farm country. Directing me to the mountains or coast. I will reconsider. I guess I will have to miss the worlds largest thermometer.

I don't think I'd want to see that big themometer in Baker during the summer from a bike, less it was in the middle of the night.

One place you might find interesting is the Delta, between Sacramento, Antioch, and Manteeca. Below sea level farming behind the levees, some 15 to 20 feet below water level.

"Stay smart. Don't put your stupid hat on at this point in time... " Gov. Pat McCrory
RocknTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:06 PM   #21
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

To understand the road grid system you really have to know the history of farming in the valley.

Originally it was mostly dry land wheat farming. The Sacramento and San Joaquin rivers was the the mode of transportation. The RR came in the 1870's and paralleled the current 99. All the current towns along it, is the result.

About 1890 began the dam building that provided water to everything east of the San joaquin river.

Farming west of the river is the result of canal building that took water from the Delta west of Stockton. That water is diminishing because of environmental laws.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:14 PM   #22
skag
ResistsEnlightenment

Oddometer: 349
If time is a concern,and it sounds like it is. The route from Folsom to Merced is really time consuming. It does take you through the heart of Ca. farming though.
99 is pretty hectic, 2 lanes most of the way, heavy truck traffic and nobody (that I know anyway) headed that far south uses it. If by the time you make Sac. and want to kick the pace up a bit, consider I 5. Still plenty of farming between Sac. and Stockton and when you get south of Tracy the the road is elevated a bit, running along the base of the foothills on the west side of the valley giving you a very long overview. There is a vista turnoff down by Crows Landing, On a clear day You can see the Sierras. Pick your poison my friend, the effect is the same, but from a different perspective.
skag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:25 AM   #23
jmabbott888
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Not sure on how you are set for time but here is a route that will give you some of the Sierras & some of the valley & still get you down to the 5 to get to San Diego. On the 50 go south out of Placerville on the 49 to Oakhurst. At Oakhurst head down the 41 into Fresno. From Fresno get your fill of the 99 or get off the 99 just north of Selma & get on the 43. The 43 will take you thru what farming we have in the southern end of the central valley. You can take the 43 to the I-5 south all the way to San Diego. Also if you decide you want to make a little better time go east a few miles to the 99 or make better time by heading west to the I-5 anywhere along the 43. This route would be about 330 miles & about 7 hours (by mapquest calculations) to go from Placerville to where 43 intersects with I-5 west of Bakersfield.
jmabbott888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:29 AM   #24
jmabbott888
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Last 2 things, it would take us about 4 hours to drive from Bakersfield to Point Loma Naval Base in San Diego when I was stationed there. Do me a favor, thank your son for his service to our country for me & my family.
jmabbott888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:12 AM   #25
mongox
ARRRRGH!!!

Oddometer: 2,495
At least on Hwy 5 you are elevated up above the valley some and can see a ways out. Hwy 99 is at ground level and it is hard to really see the lay of the land, especially with all the trucks and such that you have to look out for. A lot of trucks on 5 too, but they are long distance freight carriers as opposed to Ag related vehicles on 99.

"Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music" unknown
mongox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:45 PM   #26
GREY.HOUND
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
I would avoid hwy 99 due to the convoy of semi trucks plus the road is in terrible condition.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:13 PM   #27
AirDrive
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmabbott888 View Post
Not sure on how you are set for time but here is a route that will give you some of the Sierras & some of the valley & still get you down to the 5 to get to San Diego. On the 50 go south out of Placerville on the 49 to Oakhurst. At Oakhurst head down the 41 into Fresno. From Fresno get your fill of the 99 or get off the 99 just north of Selma & get on the 43. The 43 will take you thru what farming we have in the southern end of the central valley. You can take the 43 to the I-5 south all the way to San Diego. Also if you decide you want to make a little better time go east a few miles to the 99 or make better time by heading west to the I-5 anywhere along the 43. This route would be about 330 miles & about 7 hours (by mapquest calculations) to go from Placerville to where 43 intersects with I-5 west of Bakersfield.
This is a good route! But 49 gets pretty twisty for a bit, I think they refer to one section as "The Baby Dragon. Another idea might be to take 95 South from Fallon, NV. to Hawthone,then 359 which becomes167 once it gets into Ca., then just past Mono Lake, take 395 South to 120 then East over Tioga Pass and through Yosemite to Oakhurst, which is where 49 would have taken you. Rest of the ride is same as jmabbott88 suggested.

I don't know where I'll be or when, but I live in Fresno and may be able to help you out.

edited to add that, according to google maps, it's 400 miles and 8 hours from Fallon NV to Bakersfield, CA.

If you don't go.....you won't have a story.
DN

AirDrive screwed with this post 03-29-2013 at 08:23 PM
AirDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:38 PM   #28
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirDrive View Post
This is a good route! But 49 gets pretty twisty for a bit, I think they refer to one section as "The Baby Dragon.
You say that as if it's a bad thing.

The section of Highway 49 from Coulterville until just before Mariposa is a wonderful ride on a motorcycle.

Here's one little piece of it:
Old 03-30-2013, 11:45 AM   #29
AirDrive
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrnelson View Post
You say that as if it's a bad thing.

The section of Highway 49 from Coulterville until just before Mariposa is a wonderful ride on a motorcycle.

Here's one little piece of it:
Naw....it's a great road, and that portion is one of the less technical portions of that stretch. It's just that some folks don't enjoy twisty's as much those of us that live in CA. My little brother being one of them. He broke his leg running off a curve on 128 in the Redwoods! On 128!! can you F'n believe that s...t!! He's still riding though. But just the freeways of Utah ,where he has fun.

If you don't go.....you won't have a story.
DN
AirDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:45 PM   #30
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Not an almond tree on it.