Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2013, 12:15 PM   #1
MelissaToBeMe OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Question Well I WAS looking at the Sena SMH10... scala rider G9 looks pretty tough to beat...

I'm seeing these things more and more, and I don't think I can look the other way much longer. I've narrowed it down to these two, because quite honestly they seem to be the only ones out there worth a damn. I have friends with the SMH10 and they like it, and of course I have to get one of those too to talk to them, but while looking into that and the scala rider G9...it seems like the G9 destroys it!

Here's what I'm looking at:
http://youtu.be/um-O0uNu7oI
So I say someone's name and it goes to their helmet? Whaaaaaaat!? Like it. The wheel on the SMH10 would be nice, but versus just TALKING to it and not touching anything? Think scala gets the win here.

And then I found these:

Sena SMH10...
http://youtu.be/jwpc5uCef58
I'm hearing some wind noise around 30mph or so...

Scala rider G9...
http://youtu.be/pek6QxauJ1c
He only gets to 60mph but still nothing, HUGE difference in wind noise...

Ugh why don't they all just talk to eachother!!! Any thoughts?
MelissaToBeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:13 PM   #2
Nitro1970
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
I can't make up my mind with these two either. Subscribed
Nitro1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:34 PM   #3
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 712
I have no experience on the Scala, but just bought the SMH10 for the wife and I, riding two-up. We've only tested them around the house so far, so can't speak to the sounds quality while on the bike for intercom function.

Simplicity though? You gotta be kidding me....I'd rather just push a button once and it opens the communication...very easy. Full duplex too...

That said, if I wanted to enable other fellow riders with SMH10's...I'd have to tap the button x times for that person. Not sure how that works, don't care as I don't need that functionality. Saying a name would be very cool - although programming in that functionality? The downside to the the Scala's from what I understand is getting them programmed. Even reading the book on the Sena can be a slight bit daunting...and I'm an IT Engineer. I decided that I would pick the functions I needed and set that as my programming goal and put all the other features out of my mind.

So far, what I love:
- super simple to comm w/ the wife (this was the primary purpose for purchase)
- super simple bluetooth to Navigation which includes music
- my phone calls can be answered now.
- great support from Sena - FREE FIRMWARE DOWNLOADS anytime

Cons:
- music audio lacks any bass/depth...which you can't expect much with how flat the speakers are...
- audio pickup is grabbing lots of wind noise according to my wife....which was during a test phone call at 60mph. Granted, I forgot to put the chin skirt back on the helmet. That will probably help a fair amount. Bike was the GSA...so good wind protection and it still sounded like a lot of wind noise.

I don't think you can really go wrong either way. Some people have hated their scala's and love the sena. vice versa for others. Maybe it depends on your needs. Like I said, for me it was intercom to the wife. I don't ride in groups so comm to other riders wasn't a huge factor.

Having voice recognition sounds great and all, but how well is it going to work - be curious to hear what other's say. If its like any other voice system like our Audi MMI navigation, it will be so-so. It wouldn't make or break my decision....

So far though, I'd buy it again for the simple, large push button and knob for volume. With gloves on it is very easy to operate. FARKLE FARKLE FARKLE FARKLE FARKLE FARKLE FARKLE
'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten
TuonoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:14 PM   #4
japako
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
I had the G9 and could not get it to work for bluetooth music with an android phone. Tried everything and returned it for another. This one would not work with my android or my wifes 4S.

I could get it to work wired, but the volume was not sufficient and I would have had to use an amp.
I returned this on also. Too much money for something that the manufacture could not fix.
japako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:19 PM   #5
Nitro1970
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Good enough for me. I see a Sena set in my future
Nitro1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:43 PM   #6
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,029
Been using a Sena since they came out with the earbud adaptor and can't imagine something better. My music sounds better playing on my phone, through my custom plugs and the Sena than it does straight through the phone. No one will ever know you're on the bike when you talk on it. It really does do what they say. Buy with confidence!
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:18 PM   #7
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,264
I've been using the Sena SMH10 for almost a year. My g/f and I have successfully used them to talk to each other while cruising at 110MPH on a rented R12GS in Spain. Even at that speed, it was pretty easy for me to understand her, as I use custom earmold speakers, instead of the stock helmet clamp speakers. She had the stock helmet clamp with attached speakers and it was difficult for her to hear/understand me at that speed. But I still think that's pretty good....

My riding buddies and I use them on our sportbikes and generally have no problem chatting when cruising at 80 - 90.
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:04 PM   #8
Shooby
Anti-Cager

Oddometer: 717
Great input all. Subscribed. Leaning towards Sena as well. I read on another site(F800riders.org) that ADVrider has a Sena group discount offer. A search did not reveal it. Improper search criteria entered or has it expired?
Shooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:17 PM   #9
dnrobertson
Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dork Vader View Post
Great input all. Subscribed. Leaning towards Sena as well. I read on another site(F800riders.org) that ADVrider has a Sena group discount offer. A search did not reveal it. Improper search criteria entered or has it expired?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=573145

2005 KTM 640A
2008 Wee-Strom
dnrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:21 PM   #10
Cataract2
Where to?

Oddometer: 1,497
There is a small cover that comes with the Sena SMH10 that you can add to the mic to help with wind noise as well should it be an issue.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:23 PM   #11
Riot
Tiger Rider

Oddometer: 104
The VOX (voice activation) on the Scala is fu&*^ing useless, worse even.
The saving grace is you can manually open a channel though with a button press.
I had no issue with music either from my iphone or droid phone - infact this could not have been easier.
GPS connection also no issue either using a dedicated GPS or either phone running a GPS app with offline maps - you only need a sky view for the GPS app same as a dedicated GPS unit.
Do NOT be sold on the upgradable firmware, in 2.5 years there has been one upgrade.

Would I get another one nope, I would get a $50 ebay unit instead or possibly an interphone.

I did not like the whole concept of the jog wheel on the sena .... how do you know what function your accessing? Its not like you can count the wheel rotation like a button press.
Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:59 PM   #12
Shooby
Anti-Cager

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnrobertson View Post
Thanks David!
Old 03-25-2013, 07:21 PM   #13
Shooby
Anti-Cager

Any thoughts / experience on the low-profile SMH10R other than the obvious button controls vs jog dial?
Old 03-25-2013, 07:37 PM   #14
MelissaToBeMe OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Really good input thank you in advance! I've been doing some serious digging around since posting just trying to wrap my brain around these things. I hope everyone checked out the videos at the top of this thread 'cause those are what I'm referencing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by japako View Post
I had the G9 and could not get it to work for bluetooth music with an android phone. Tried everything and returned it for another. This one would not work with my android or my wifes 4S.
The guy in the "voice command" video is playing it through what has to be at least an iphone 4 (impossible to tell if 4S or not), and it's suprisingly loud I thought!? Controlling start/stop/tracks and all that jazz is still very attractive to me, having a hard time getting over that one.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Been using a Sena since they came out with the earbud adaptor and can't imagine something better.
This is a plus in the Sena catagory.... very cool option to have. Hmmmmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot View Post
The VOX (voice activation) on the Scala is fu&*^ing useless, worse even.

...Do NOT be sold on the upgradable firmware, in 2.5 years there has been one upgrade.
I don't think the G9 has been out for that long? Maybe previous model?
I did find this about the settings for the G9, and it seems that VOX can be adjusted..

http://youtu.be/LIq8uHwIv_M

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuonoBiker View Post
That said, if I wanted to enable other fellow riders with SMH10's...I'd have to tap the button x times for that person. Not sure how that works, don't care as I don't need that functionality. Saying a name would be very cool - although programming in that functionality? The downside to the the Scala's from what I understand is getting them programmed. Even reading the book on the Sena can be a slight bit daunting...and I'm an IT Engineer. I decided that I would pick the functions I needed and set that as my programming goal and put all the other features out of my mind.
Sounds like for what you're using it for it's perfect. I don't get the tapping of the button for other riders though? Is it a "cycle through" type deal?
Same source (YouTube/Cardo) for this video, but they make it look like the programming is pretty friendly..

http://youtu.be/vSZCmFknv9w

Does anyone know if the SMH10 has the same type of "customization" online as the G9? Like a "Cardo Community" equivalent?

Why is there SUCH a difference in wind noise from those two units under the same conditions in the videos at the top of this thread???

I'm trying hard to want this unit because it's what my friends have. But seriously.... the differences are truly starting to stack up:

Range- almost double with the G9
Riders- 4 on the SMH10, over 8 with the G9 (not that I ever ride with that many, but still)
-Controlled by your voice
-Huge difference in wind noise
-"bump" pairing
-this whole "cardo community" deal

I DO wish they would let you plug your own speakers in...

What else? Anybody find any videos of the SMH10 kicking the G9's a$$?
MelissaToBeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:52 PM   #15
Poptorture
n00b

Oddometer: 1
We bought a pair of G9's for a trip we did last year. They were used for two separate bikes (not pillion to driver). The range on them is impressive, the wind noise is nonexistent (even with the visor propped open a little), no problems pairing them to our phones (both iphones), and we could hear each other very clearly (even with earplugs in). The speaker quality for music sucks and it would be nice if they has an option for your own headphones. I've heard that people have spliced their own headphones onto the existing wires but I haven't looked into that. The vocal commands never worked for us. I'm going to check the controls next time I plug them into my computer and see how much adjustment is there. I also love that you can program your radio presets online. Over all, they are nifty little devices. I don't know that we wouldn't have been equally as impressed with any brand though.
Poptorture is offline   Reply With Quote