Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2013, 07:57 PM   #16
El Gato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Been using a Sena since they came out with the earbud adaptor and can't imagine something better. My music sounds better playing on my phone, through my custom plugs and the Sena than it does straight through the phone. No one will ever know you're on the bike when you talk on it. It really does do what they say. Buy with confidence!
This. I originally tried using earbuds instead of helmet speakers because the ear pockets in my helmet were too shallow and the BT speakers would press on my ears and hurt after a while. I got the Sena earbud adapter and some custom-molded earbuds, and was astonished at how much better the sound quality is. I'll never use helmet speakers again.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:08 PM   #17
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,970
Quote:
Been using a Sena since they came out with the earbud adaptor and can't imagine something better. My music sounds better playing on my phone, through my custom plugs and the Sena than it does straight through the phone. No one will ever know you're on the bike when you talk on it. It really does do what they say. Buy with confidence!
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gato View Post
This. I originally tried using earbuds instead of helmet speakers because the ear pockets in my helmet were too shallow and the BT speakers would press on my ears and hurt after a while. I got the Sena earbud adapter and some custom-molded earbuds, and was astonished at how much better the sound quality is. I'll never use helmet speakers again.
Well Damn! I didn't even know they had that. Gonna have to pick up the adapter kit, or whatever it is.
I love these things.
Someone quote me so he can see my response
Quote:
Originally Posted by POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!
GI_JO_NATHAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:17 PM   #18
El Gato
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GI_JO_NATHAN View Post
Well Damn! I didn't even know they had that. Gonna have to pick up the adapter kit, or whatever it is.
I love these things.
http://senabluetooth.com/products/acc_SMH-A0304.php

Old 03-25-2013, 08:34 PM   #19
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gato View Post
Sweet thanks! Just looked on RocketMoto, I think I like this one. It has the same mic as my current set, which works great. Only $36 to.
http://www.rocketmoto.com/index.php/...icrophone.html
Someone quote me so he can see my response
Quote:
Originally Posted by POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!
GI_JO_NATHAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:36 PM   #20
BobPS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
I just bought Sena SMH10 last week. So far I've only used it during commuting, and only to listen to music. I paired it with my iphone 4, and if I'm not mistaken, I can use the iphone's voice control feature with Sena. For instance, I can push the phone button on the sena unit, which activates the voice control and then make a phone call ... or tell the phone to start playing music.

El Gato, the sena earbud adapter, does it come with the earbuds? Or do we supply our own earbuds?
BobPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:38 PM   #21
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by GI_JO_NATHAN View Post
Sweet thanks! Just looked on RocketMoto, I think I like this one. It has the same mic as my current set, which works great. Only $36 to.
http://www.rocketmoto.com/index.php/...icrophone.html
That's the one I have. It's my second one. The little thing thst you plug your buds into will break. This latest version is better than the original, but it's still not up to the task. I went to Home Depot and got some of that plastic JB Weld stuff in a 3" cylinder. I stuck it on my clamp and its solid as can be. You've been warned. That clamp will break. It works great though.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:38 PM   #22
some call me...tim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
I have a Sena and I've been very pleased with it. I primarily use it for listening to music when I ride, second to that, bike to bike communications with my buddy, and only very occasionally use it for phone calls. Wind noise has occasionally been a problem when I've tried talking, but literally a millimeter or two of movement inside the helmet can make a huge difference in how the wind hits it, and the boom mic is easily adjustable. When I'm riding with my buddy and one of us sounds garbled, all it takes is a nudge of the mic and its crystal clear again.

Probably the one complaint I have is the lack of range it has compared to other products. Most of the time when I'm riding with my friend, we're in sight of each other, but occasionally we'll get separated, and have to resort to the old-school "where the fuck did he go?" u-turns. (You get spoiled by intercoms real quick.)

Also, I suppose if you're into group rides, having more connections available is an advantage, but I'm not really into them, so that's not a factor for me.

I'm really pleased with the battery life though, and the ease of the jog dial. Although, now that I think of it, that would be my other complaint about it, but it's more my fault than the unit's. A lot of times when I try to turn the volume up or down on the dial, I accidentally push the dial in, and the unit tries to ping my non existent riding partner, and I'll get Ms. Sena's voice telling me "Intercom failed." I always tell her to shut up, but she never listens.

OP, one big difference you're leaving out of your comparison is the price: you can literally get 2 Senas for less than one Scala. The Scala probably is superior in most respects, but is it twice as good?
some call me...tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:52 PM   #23
El Gato
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPS View Post
I just bought Sena SMH10 last week. So far I've only used it during commuting, and only to listen to music. I paired it with my iphone 4, and if I'm not mistaken, I can use the iphone's voice control feature with Sena. For instance, I can push the phone button on the sena unit, which activates the voice control and then make a phone call ... or tell the phone to start playing music.

El Gato, the sena earbud adapter, does it come with the earbuds? Or do we supply our own earbuds?
Yes, that's right... the phone button on the Sena will activate Siri, which comes in very handy.

No, the Sena earbud adapter doesn't come with earbuds - you have to supply your own. Some folks are perfectly happy with off-the-shelf earbuds. I didn't like having the earbud sticking out of my ear and hitting the helmet, and I wanted something that was rated for hearing protection, so I got a set of custom-molded earbuds like these.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:59 PM   #24
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot View Post
I did not like the whole concept of the jog wheel on the sena .... how do you know what function your accessing? Its not like you can count the wheel rotation like a button press.
The jog dial on the Sena's is one of their best features and makes them so user friendly with gloves on. You obviously haven't used them because there is nothing you have to count for the wheel rotation. The jog dial actually has no start or end, the wheel turns infinitely in either direction. Volume is controlled at any time you aren't in a menu by just twisting the dial. When you top out volume either on the high end or lower it all the way, it beeps to let you know you reached the end. Works awesome and my favorite feature. Intercom is a simple push in of the jog dial to start, another push in to end. You can even do this with your shoulder. Music functions are controlled by a push in and a quick turn of the dial to change tracks or a push in and hold for 2 secs to pause or play. Phone function is initiated with the button on the back of the unit.

Other functions or menu's are enabled by how long you hold in the jog dial. Intercom Pairing is holding the jog dial for 5-7 seconds. The full config menu to change a bunch of settings is holding in the jog dial for 12 seconds, but once you are in there, you use the jog dial to switch functions and it talks to you while you do so you know exactly which one you are on.

Its simple and it works.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:00 PM   #25
BobPS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Thanks El Gato.
BobPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:08 PM   #26
El Gato
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
That's the one I have. It's my second one. The little thing thst you plug your buds into will break. This latest version is better than the original, but it's still not up to the task. I went to Home Depot and got some of that plastic JB Weld stuff in a 3" cylinder. I stuck it on my clamp and its solid as can be. You've been warned. That clamp will break. It works great though.
You're right - they do break after a while. I had a first-gen earbud adapter plate with the rigid plug and it broke, but I didn't think to warranty it. I bought a replacement one with the newer flexible plug, and it also broke after about 6 months. I e-mailed Sena and they immediately issued an RMA. I sent the unit in and they shipped me a replacement the same day - had it in my hands the next day. They carry a 2 year warranty, so I figure I'll get a few warranty replacements in that time. I'm sure if enough folks file warranty claims they'll redesign that plug again. Not sure why they even have the 3.5mm plug sticking out on a little plug instead of just putting the plug flush with the plastic body of the bracket. It's the only real flaw in an otherwise great product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPS View Post
Thanks El Gato.
You're welcome!
Old 03-25-2013, 09:09 PM   #27
bumbadeeda
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Sena user chiming in

Haven't tried others but use my Sena for all it was designed for with great satisfaction. Set it up several times on a set of ear muffs for the folks that back me up on trackdays as pit coms. Works great to and from my racebike on a 2 miles track and I can tell you that it was good enough to be annoying. listening to your pitcrew burping after the lunch break can really screw with your mid-corner drive...
bumbadeeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:15 PM   #28
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

My wife and I started as Scala Q2 users back in 09 and used them for about 3 years with good success. We were happy with them except for the fact they didn't have bluetooth music streaming which came out later in the pro model. Sometime while we owned the Q2's my Dad got the Scala G4 which was backwards compatible with the Q2's. I was honestly ready to update to the G4 until he got his and started getting frustrated with it and how it worked. The G4 was supposed to act as a bridge between the Q2's to allow a 3 way conversation, but what a pain it was to get that working. My dad constantly struggled with keeping things paired up and connected.

In that time the Sena SMH10's had come out and I started watching them very closely. I was very impressed with how Sena was listening to their customers on their suggestion page and adding new features, the jog dial and 1 phone button was a much more simple design than Scala's 5 button setup on the G4.

Eventually, we all ditched the Scala's and went to the Sena's and couldn't be happier. Battery life is better, music sounds better, and they work like they should. Pairing up people on the Sena's is pretty straight forward. Its a last come, first served setup and getting a 4 way conversation is simple and it works, unlike what we struggled with on the Scala's.

Now I haven't used the G9's and watching that video, I'm actually not impressed by the voice control over the music. That just seems like it takes way too much time overly complicates a simple process. So I have to find a little button on the side of my unit, press it, wait for the beep and the unit to answer me, say my command, hear it read it back to me, and then the action takes place if it understood me the first time otherwise I get an action I didn't want or have to start all over again! So something as simple as changing a track tune takes 5 seconds.

On the Sena, all I do is reach up, do a quick push in and turn on the jog dial at the same time and my next track comes up instantly. Its simple and it works every time I do it.

The voice recognition to choose who you want to speak to is pretty cool, but when it remembers 8 different people, they had to put in something like that, other wise it would have been way too complicated. As someone mentioned though, you have to take the time to set that up ahead of time.

I mostly just ride with my wife, so the voice recognition is really not a big plus to me and I like the simplicity of just pressing in the jog dial to reach her. Heck, If I'm really lazy, I can just dip my head to the left and hit the jog dial on my shoulder. Once in awhile, we might have a 3rd or 4th person connected and in that case, its just another button push or two to get to them. Still fairly easy.

I do think the Scala's had a little bit better noise cancelling than the Sena's, but that video of his Sena seems way louder and "broken up" than ours ever do. We regularly ride at 75-80mph on the interstate and we can hear each other just fine and carry on a conversation like we are sitting next to one another in a car. We frequently ride our our DS bikes with no windscreen's and my wife's Ducati Monster is a naked bike with no windscreen either.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:37 PM   #29
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaToBeMe View Post
Really good input thank you in advance! I've been doing some serious digging around since posting just trying to wrap my brain around these things. I hope everyone checked out the videos at the top of this thread 'cause those are what I'm referencing...

The guy in the "voice command" video is playing it through what has to be at least an iphone 4 (impossible to tell if 4S or not), and it's suprisingly loud I thought!? Controlling start/stop/tracks and all that jazz is still very attractive to me, having a hard time getting over that one.....
To me, this is way over complicated for such a simple task and would get old quickly. IMOP, the Sena's simplicity over your music control has this beat by far.

Quote:
This is a plus in the Sena catagory.... very cool option to have. Hmmmmm.
I have a couple of the ear phone jacks and they are nice with a good seat of speakers or custom ear plugs. It is a shame Scala has yet to make a mount with that option.

Quote:
I don't think the G9 has been out for that long? Maybe previous model?
I did find this about the settings for the G9, and it seems that VOX can be adjusted..
Talking about firmware updates, I think this is where Sena Kills Scala. Scala had very few firmware updates to the G4 and abandoned it in short order to focus on the G9. Sena has been supporting the SMH10 for a long time and continues to support it. Way more features have been added in along the way too

Quote:
Sounds like for what you're using it for it's perfect. I don't get the tapping of the button for other riders though? Is it a "cycle through" type deal?
Same source (YouTube/Cardo) for this video, but they make it look like the programming is pretty friendly..
Sena pairing works as last paired becomes 1st rider and each other rider bumps out one. If you already had 4 paired, last guy gets bumped out. Push once for rider one, twice for rider 2, etc. Very easy to remember.

Quote:
Does anyone know if the SMH10 has the same type of "customization" online as the G9? Like a "Cardo Community" equivalent?
Not familiar with the Cardo Community, but Sena has a forum and a suggestion page where you can request new features and find out about stuff on their forum.

Quote:
Why is there SUCH a difference in wind noise from those two units under the same conditions in the videos at the top of this thread???
As I posted above, I think the sound clip on the Sena video above isn't very impressive in that video, but ours don't sound that bad either. There is some noise, but nothing overwhelming and certainly not to the point of distorting the voice as you hear in the video. I do think the Scala's did a bit better job noise cancelling, but its not like the Sena's are obnoxious or anything. Even on the Sena's if I take a phone call, the people on the other end aren't usually aware that I'm on a bike.

Quote:
I'm trying hard to want this unit because it's what my friends have. But seriously.... the differences are truly starting to stack up:
If your friends all have the Sena, and you want to talk to them, it really makes the most sense to stick with what they have since they can't talk to each other. We have a lot of friends with the Sena's now and its nice to be able to quickly pair and chat with them on a ride.

Quote:
Range- almost double with the G9
I'm not sure I'd really believe the exact range that is posted. That is ideal conditions at best. Range on our Sena's is good and in general I've found that on any BT intercom, its about line of sight. If you can see them, you can talk to them. On any units, get a hill, curve or buildings in between you, and the distance drops dramatically. I'm not sure if the G9's have improved on this since the Q2's or G4's, but one huge advantage I've seen with the Sena's is how fast and consistently they re-sync with each other if you have gotten out of range. My wife and my Dad and I struggled big time with the Scala's any time we got out of range and then back into range. Even if you were next to each other, you'd get the "tone" that the other rider wasn't available. If you went out of range several times in a row, it was almost like they stopped looking for each other and you had to power cycle a unit for them to re-find each other. Total PITA. The Sena's on the other hand seem to find each other right away and allow you to re-establish a conversation as soon as you see each other again. This was one of the most frustrating aspects we struggled with on the Scala's and in the end our main reason for getting rid of them. Let's say one rider stops for some reason and the other rider rides out of range and we start looking for each other. We could be riding towards each other and trying to connect to talk and nope, no way, not going to happen. They would never connect in time and you'd be long past each other still trying to connect. On the Sena's as soon as we see each other, they connect and we can talk!

Quote:
Riders- 4 on the SMH10, over 8 with the G9 (not that I ever ride with that many, but still)
Keep in mind both units are only capable of a 4 way conversation max. The G9 just has the advantage of remembering up to 8 connections while the Sena only remembers 4. Unless you regularly ride with a group of over 4 riders that always communicate, I don't see this as a big issue. Its so easy on the Sena to pair with a new rider anyways. Of course its easy on the G9 too, but it remembers more.

Quote:
-Controlled by your voice
-Huge difference in wind noise
-"bump" pairing
-this whole "cardo community" deal
I think the only true advantage of the G9 here would be if you were regularly in a group of 4+ riders that always communicated and they all had the same headset, then the +1 goes to the G9 for the voice control of intercom and remembering up to 8 riders. Other wise everything else is just minimal differences.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:05 PM   #30
Riot
Tiger Rider

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
The jog dial on the Sena's is one of their best features and makes them so user friendly with gloves on. You obviously haven't used them because there is nothing you have to count for the wheel rotation. The jog dial actually has no start or end, the wheel turns infinitely in either direction. Volume is controlled at any time you aren't in a menu by just twisting the dial. When you top out volume either on the high end or lower it all the way, it beeps to let you know you reached the end. Works awesome and my favorite feature. Intercom is a simple push in of the jog dial to start, another push in to end. You can even do this with your shoulder. Music functions are controlled by a push in and a quick turn of the dial to change tracks or a push in and hold for 2 secs to pause or play. Phone function is initiated with the button on the back of the unit.

Other functions or menu's are enabled by how long you hold in the jog dial. Intercom Pairing is holding the jog dial for 5-7 seconds. The full config menu to change a bunch of settings is holding in the jog dial for 12 seconds, but once you are in there, you use the jog dial to switch functions and it talks to you while you do so you know exactly which one you are on.

Its simple and it works.

Your right I have never used a sena, unfortunately no one seems to stock them around me.
I was not prepared to buy something like this off the internet without at least tring the features and functions. The Scala sales network is strong - unlike their support centre if you have an issue. They expect a "full reset" cures everything.... but sometimes not. Crackling music, 2 full lockups and the useless VOX (regardless of sensitivity level).
Riot is offline   Reply With Quote