ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-26-2013, 05:55 PM   #31
MelissaToBeMe OP
Adventurer
 
MelissaToBeMe's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Oddometer: 97
Again, thanks for all the info on here guys...

My focus has shifted slighty since I've been looking heavily into these two different units. My concern to have a compatible unit and the ability to talk to my friends who are current Sena owners has diminished, and here's why.

Neither of these is "cheap" (like a set of gloves or something), and being that I want to make this purchase one time and get it right, why not go with the best one out there? After everything I've looked at, the G9 IS a little more $$, but it is far ahead of the pack in almost every aspect.

I love the headphone jack idea on the Sena, but until they change that design I can't jump into something knowing that it's going to fail/break. I've also seen a bunch of comments about the connection pins sticking/breaking as well as the tab on the bottom snapping...... I mean every products got it's faults but really??

All I seem to keep finding is people talking about how the SMH10 is aaallmost as good as the G9 (followed by some drawn out reason why). It looks like a d@mn fine unit, and had I not learned more about the alternative I would have jumped right in. But like I said, this is a one-time purchase (at least for awhile!) and I want the best.

I still can't find anything the SHM10 does that the G9 doesn't (or doesn't do better), and that certainly can't be stated the other way around.

I recommend you all check out this link I found regarding the interface of a G9 to the Cardo Community. I think somebody mentioned above that Sena's equivalent is a suggestion page or a forum or something like that...? Again, huge difference between these two:

http://blog.motorcycle-tourer.co.uk/...rdo-community/



Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
To me, this is way over complicated for such a simple task and would get old quickly. IMOP, the Sena's simplicity over your music control has this beat by far.
How does it get any easier than just talking to it!? Complicated!? lol! I get that the Sena is a push and a twist... definitely not hard to do, but trying to say that it has just using your voice "beat by far"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
Pairing up people on the Sena's is pretty straight forward. Its a last come, first served setup and getting a 4 way conversation is simple and it works, unlike what we struggled with on the Scala's.

Now I haven't used the G9's and watching that video, I'm actually not impressed by the voice control over the music. That just seems like it takes way too much time overly complicates a simple process. So I have to find a little button on the side of my unit, press it, wait for the beep and the unit to answer me, say my command, hear it read it back to me, and then the action takes place if it understood me the first time otherwise I get an action I didn't want or have to start all over again! So something as simple as changing a track tune takes 5 seconds.

On the Sena, all I do is reach up, do a quick push in and turn on the jog dial at the same time and my next track comes up instantly. Its simple and it works every time I do it.

The voice recognition to choose who you want to speak to is pretty cool, but when it remembers 8 different people, they had to put in something like that, other wise it would have been way too complicated. As someone mentioned though, you have to take the time to set that up ahead of time.
I can't imagine a pairing process easier than just bumping them together:

http://youtu.be/uP6jb_Xd0QM

As for the voice command- that feature alone makes me feel like these other companies have some serious catching up to do. I don't think they "had" to do it so it could reach 8 riders, I think they "could" do it so they did. Furthermore, they seem to be the only ones who can. I got a different impression from that video than you did; he says he's using the button as an alternative- in looking further into it it is in fact completely hands free. This tells me I can do everything you're doing with the dial without ever touching anything. Win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
Intercom is a simple push in of the jog dial to start, another push in to end. You can even do this with your shoulder. Music functions are controlled by a push in and a quick turn of the dial to change tracks or a push in and hold for 2 secs to pause or play. Phone function is initiated with the button on the back of the unit.

Other functions or menu's are enabled by how long you hold in the jog dial. Intercom Pairing is holding the jog dial for 5-7 seconds.
Its simple and it works.
Or you can just talk to it and bump them together. Now THAT's simplicity
MelissaToBeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:49 PM   #32
StuartV
Motorcyclist
 
StuartV's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Bristow, VA
Oddometer: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaToBeMe View Post
Neither of these is "cheap" (like a set of gloves or something), and being that I want to make this purchase one time and get it right, why not go with the best one out there? After everything I've looked at, the G9 IS a little more $$, but it is far ahead of the pack in almost every aspect.

I love the headphone jack idea on the Sena, but until they change that design I can't jump into something knowing that it's going to fail/break. I've also seen a bunch of comments about the connection pins sticking/breaking as well as the tab on the bottom snapping...... I mean every products got it's faults but really??
If you want the best SOUND, there is no competition. The Sena with custom earmolds is IT. The custom earmolds block out a lot of wind noise and the sound you want to hear is between that sound blocker and your ear drums. Even the best quality helmet speakers and external amp will not sound right when listening to them through ear plugs. Ear plugs do not attentuate sound in a flat way. They cut more of some frequencies and less of others.

Personally, I like being able to talk on the intercom to my g/f and/or my riding buddies. But, my biggest requirement is to have good sound for listening to music. Thus, there is NO WAY I would buy another intercom that didn't let me use custom earmolds.

I have also seen a fair number of posts from people having problems with pins sticking or contacts needing to be cleaned. And also people with the earbud helmet clamp having the earbud jack break off. All I can say is, when there are a lot of people using a particular product, you're going to read a lot more reports of problems with that product, as compared to a product that almost nobody uses. Between me and my riding buddies we've had 4 of the SMH-10 for about a year now and used them a lot and none of them have had a single problem. As for the earbud helmet clamp thing, there's a couple of obvious answers. One, buy a spare and carry it, just in case. They're pretty cheap. Or, two, read the SMH-10 Hack thread and modify a regular clamp so that you have the attached speakers and you can also use the Aux In jack as an Earbud Out jack instead. I modded my g/f's helmet clamp that way, so she has the speakers in her helmet, but can also plug in earbuds into the Aux In jack, when she wants more noise damping and better sound. I think this is a good idea, anyway, just to have the attached speakers in there as a backup. I have had an earmold speaker fail before.

I totally agree with an earlier poster about the value of using voice control on the intercom to handle the basic stuff. I think that's a gimmick. ESPECIALLY, it it works as described, where you have to say your command then listen to it repeated back to you, then confirm that that's what you want. The Nav in my g/f's 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee can be used that way and it absolutely SUCKS! Even if it gets it right every time, just the time it takes to tell it, listen to it repeated back, then confirm is annoying as heck. But, the fact of the matter is, it does not always get it right. And then the loop of trying again, etc., just makes it totally unusable, in my opinion. The Sena jog wheel plus the Phone button (on the SMH-10) works great. It's simple. It's easy to use even with thick gloves on. It's quick. If another unit had all that AND had a voice control feature, I would sure be game to try it. But, there is no way I'd trade what absolutely works for something that sounds nifty on paper and is guaranteed to take longer, even if it works perfectly. In other words, yeah, I'd agree with the statement "the Sena has it beat by far". I'm thinking you may not have spent a lot of time trying to voice control things - especially in a moving car or on a bike - if you don't get that.

Lastly, just for the record, the Sena can be used to communicate with way more than 4 people simultaneously. There may not even be a practical limit. The technique for doing it is called daisy-chaining. Imagine a line of riders, numbered starting with 1 at the front. And all with the Senas, of course. Each rider is paired with the rider in front of him and the rider behind him. So, 1 is paired with 2. 2 is paired with 1 and 3. 3 is paired with 2 and 4. Etc..

1 starts an intercom session with 2. While they're chatting, 3 connects to 2. Now, it's a 3-way chat. Then 4 connects with 3. Now it's a 4-way chat. Then 5 connects with 4, and etc.. All the riders in the whole line will be in one big multi-way chat. It could be 10 riders, in a line that's a mile long ('cause each intercom only needs the range to reach the rider immediately in front and immediately behind) and everybody will still hear what everybody else is saying.

I'm not saying you'd WANT to do this. I'm just saying you CAN - with the Senas. I don't know about the Scala.
__________________
- Stu
'09 R12GS, '05 GSX-R1000
Iron Butt # 4999, WERA/CCS EX # 666 (currently, expired), AMA Life Member
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:20 PM   #33
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion
 
BlueLghtning's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Newnan, GA
Oddometer: 4,841
It really doesn't matter to me what unit you buy, its not like either decision is going to affect me. I just know as a user of BT headsets for 4+ years now, I've made some observations over that time that I wanted to pass on. Maybe they help, maybe they don't? The features you keep focusing just to me don't seem that big of deal. Cool it would be neat to have it, but it certainly isn't a deal killer one way or the other. As long as the unit does what its supposed to, is simple and easy to remember how to use, and works every time, I'm happy.

I guess when you get down to the nitty gritty, the Scala G9's do seem to have more fancy "technology" in them with all the voice control but in the end both units do exactly what you need. They provide intercom, multiple connections, music, and access to your cell or GPS. You really can't go wrong with either unit since they both do all these things well. People find a favorite they like and that's who they go with, others are more persuaded by what their friends use so they can talk to them. I do agree the voice control on the Scala's sounds pretty cool, but I also know how much I've struggled with voice control on my various cell phones over the years and other devices. If it works, its great, if it doesn't it extremely complicates a simple process and in this case I'm not sure it always simplifies things like you expect and certainly doesn't make it faster. It definitely takes longer to do a simple task with voice control. You seem pretty attracted to that, so I guess you'll have to see if it works for you as you expect. I'm just telling you that raising my hand to change a song really isn't that bad or to start an intercom isn't that bad. In fact, the Sena's have voice activated intercom also, but I turn it off because I find I prefer not to have it engaged.

It does seem kind of strange though that even though you admit that most of your riding friends have the Sena, you'd rather not talk to them and get the G9 because you feel it excels over the Sena? That's certainly your choice, but I guess that means that listening to music and being able to answer your phone which is something you can do on either unit is more important than actually chatting with your friends? You are right that both units are expensive and I wouldn't want to buy both.

My main reason for having a BT communicator is being able to chat with my wife while we ride and other friends, but I do also like the music & phone control. I think so far the Sena's have the best sound for music even with their speakers, but if I really want good sound, I use my ER-6i's in the earplug jack. So yeah any unit we both choose could have worked for us. We were early adopters of the Sena in our group and most have followed suit, so that worked in our favor although it certainly could have gone the other way. If I had to replace our units tomorrow though, I'd still replace them with Sena's because it is nice to chat with my friends.

To address some of the short comings you mentioned with the Sena's. The early headphone jacks did break and they redesigned them with a stress relief. Yeah, they probably still can break, but it really comes down to how you take care of it. Personally I think adopting the MP3 input into a headset jack would have been way more robust, but I guess they didn't want to give up that connection? Some people have actually modified their own bases to use the MP3 input as an headphone jack instead and giving them the option of speakers or headphones in one base. I've certainly heard of people breaking or bending pins too, but IMOP, its self induced and they are either trying to snap the unit on and not paying attention to what they are doing or forcing it when they shouldn't be. The broken clamps are also self induced when people over tighten the clamps and it snaps them. The back plate is metal, the unit base is plastic. People put way to much torque on the little plats and break them, and then blame Sena for a poor design. The plastic is going to give before the metal, you just need it snug enough to hold it. Maybe these are weak links for Sena, but I think all 3 can be attributed to user issues for the most part.

So I just watched the video you linked on bump pairing the four G9's. So yeah, they make that look pretty simple with the units off their mounts and on a flat service. What happens though when you run into a friend on a ride, you both have your helmets on, and you want to sync really quick? Do you both need to pull your units off their respective basis to do that or is there another way to sync? I suspect there should be other ways to sync, but just little things like that come to mind? The most important thing to know is just how to sync your unit out there on the field when you want to pair with another rider so you can do it.

You said you couldn't find anything the Sena does better than the Scala and I'll tell you what it it is for me. It is the Jog dial. That to me is what makes the Sena so user friendly and my favorite part of it. No finding little buttons to adjust the volume, its easy to reach and operate with gloves and there is no way for me to hit other buttons around there. Besides the jog dial, there is the phone button on the back of the unit and once again, nothing around it. There are 2 buttons on the Sena total and that's all you have to remember. Its simple, easy, and it works every time!

The Scala has 3 little buttons on its side separated by a small ridge between them and 2 more buttons on the top of the unit. 5 buttons you are expected to find by touch with heavy motorcycle gloves on. That's why they had to add voice control because finding the buttons isn't as easy as you would think. I would assume that the Scala's haven't changed since we had them and when you connect via voice or VOX, you are only connecting for about 30 seconds or until the unit doesn't hear you talk. So if you want to "manually" connect and stay connected, you have to press the A or B button to manually open that channel and then it stays open until you close it. So you still have to use the buttons even with voice control?

Anyway, as I said earlier. You can't go wrong with either unit. They both are popular for a reason because they both work. People enjoy them and both companies have built a great product. If what you feel are better features on the Scala and features you'll find useful to you, then go for it. I think if you really have that many friends that use the Sena's in the end you'll miss talking to them?
__________________
BlueLghtning - Follow me on my SPOT Messenger
Mine: 09 DL650, 08 WR250R,
Hers: 07 Ninja 650R, 13 CRF250L,
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here

BlueLghtning screwed with this post 03-26-2013 at 07:33 PM
BlueLghtning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:24 PM   #34
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion
 
BlueLghtning's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Newnan, GA
Oddometer: 4,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartV View Post
If you want the best SOUND, there is no competition. The Sena with custom earmolds is IT. The custom earmolds block out a lot of wind noise and the sound you want to hear is between that sound blocker and your ear drums. Even the best quality helmet speakers and external amp will not sound right when listening to them through ear plugs. Ear plugs do not attentuate sound in a flat way. They cut more of some frequencies and less of others.

Personally, I like being able to talk on the intercom to my g/f and/or my riding buddies. But, my biggest requirement is to have good sound for listening to music. Thus, there is NO WAY I would buy another intercom that didn't let me use custom earmolds.

I have also seen a fair number of posts from people having problems with pins sticking or contacts needing to be cleaned. And also people with the earbud helmet clamp having the earbud jack break off. All I can say is, when there are a lot of people using a particular product, you're going to read a lot more reports of problems with that product, as compared to a product that almost nobody uses. Between me and my riding buddies we've had 4 of the SMH-10 for about a year now and used them a lot and none of them have had a single problem. As for the earbud helmet clamp thing, there's a couple of obvious answers. One, buy a spare and carry it, just in case. They're pretty cheap. Or, two, read the SMH-10 Hack thread and modify a regular clamp so that you have the attached speakers and you can also use the Aux In jack as an Earbud Out jack instead. I modded my g/f's helmet clamp that way, so she has the speakers in her helmet, but can also plug in earbuds into the Aux In jack, when she wants more noise damping and better sound. I think this is a good idea, anyway, just to have the attached speakers in there as a backup. I have had an earmold speaker fail before.

I totally agree with an earlier poster about the value of using voice control on the intercom to handle the basic stuff. I think that's a gimmick. ESPECIALLY, it it works as described, where you have to say your command then listen to it repeated back to you, then confirm that that's what you want. The Nav in my g/f's 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee can be used that way and it absolutely SUCKS! Even if it gets it right every time, just the time it takes to tell it, listen to it repeated back, then confirm is annoying as heck. But, the fact of the matter is, it does not always get it right. And then the loop of trying again, etc., just makes it totally unusable, in my opinion. The Sena jog wheel plus the Phone button (on the SMH-10) works great. It's simple. It's easy to use even with thick gloves on. It's quick. If another unit had all that AND had a voice control feature, I would sure be game to try it. But, there is no way I'd trade what absolutely works for something that sounds nifty on paper and is guaranteed to take longer, even if it works perfectly. In other words, yeah, I'd agree with the statement "the Sena has it beat by far". I'm thinking you may not have spent a lot of time trying to voice control things - especially in a moving car or on a bike - if you don't get that.

Lastly, just for the record, the Sena can be used to communicate with way more than 4 people simultaneously. There may not even be a practical limit. The technique for doing it is called daisy-chaining. Imagine a line of riders, numbered starting with 1 at the front. And all with the Senas, of course. Each rider is paired with the rider in front of him and the rider behind him. So, 1 is paired with 2. 2 is paired with 1 and 3. 3 is paired with 2 and 4. Etc..

1 starts an intercom session with 2. While they're chatting, 3 connects to 2. Now, it's a 3-way chat. Then 4 connects with 3. Now it's a 4-way chat. Then 5 connects with 4, and etc.. All the riders in the whole line will be in one big multi-way chat. It could be 10 riders, in a line that's a mile long ('cause each intercom only needs the range to reach the rider immediately in front and immediately behind) and everybody will still hear what everybody else is saying.

I'm not saying you'd WANT to do this. I'm just saying you CAN - with the Senas. I don't know about the Scala.
+1. Well said Stuart! You covered a lot of what I did in my above post and I really feel the exact same way about the Voice command. I just don't think its really all that useful.

I was going to mention about the Daisy chaining effect, but decided not to, but it very well could work if you wanted it to.

I'm not trying to persuade the thread starter one way or the other, but I think they keep focusing on things that won't really matter in the real world use?
__________________
BlueLghtning - Follow me on my SPOT Messenger
Mine: 09 DL650, 08 WR250R,
Hers: 07 Ninja 650R, 13 CRF250L,
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here

BlueLghtning screwed with this post 03-26-2013 at 07:34 PM
BlueLghtning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:44 PM   #35
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer
 
GI_JO_NATHAN's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Middle GA.....Aparently....
Oddometer: 2,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaToBeMe View Post
Neither of these is "cheap"
Sounds like you've put a lot of thought and research into this.
However, if you haven't already, I would also recommend you contact RocketMoto on here, and see what kind of price he can give you on the Sena, so you exactly what the deference is.

Good luck
__________________
Jonathan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Someone quote me so he can see my response
Quote:
Originally Posted by POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!
GI_JO_NATHAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:03 PM   #36
MelissaToBeMe OP
Adventurer
 
MelissaToBeMe's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartV View Post
ESPECIALLY, it it works as described, where you have to say your command then listen to it repeated back to you, then confirm that that's what you want.
Hold on, I'm gonna go watch that video again.....not sure if that's how it works or not...
MelissaToBeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:21 PM   #37
BobPS
Gnarly Adventurer
 
BobPS's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
Oddometer: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaToBeMe View Post
(snip)
Neither of these is "cheap" (like a set of gloves or something), and being that I want to make this purchase one time and get it right, why not go with the best one out there? After everything I've looked at, the G9 IS a little more $$, but it is far ahead of the pack in almost every aspect.
(snip)
It's not cheap for me either. To me that's the reason I went with Sena. I read more positive reviews from users of Sena, than users of other brands.

And being in Indonesia, returning a merchandise purchased, is out of the question. I mean, you guys in the US have the luxury of returning stuffs you purchased and doesn't meet your expectation. I can do that too but only for stuff/merchandise purchased from the US ... it will not be practical and costly though. However I can't return merrchandise I bought locally.

So I have to be more careful than you guys in the US when buying something, cause if I made a wrong purchase, I wil have to keep it, no way to return it.

Go with which ever you think will fits your needs better. If you get Scala, don't forget to write review.
BobPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:00 PM   #38
MelissaToBeMe OP
Adventurer
 
MelissaToBeMe's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Oddometer: 97
Okay, so it looks like you tell it what to do, and then it tells you what it's doing. No need to confirm command....thank god! That would really suck and I'm glad that was brought up!

Skipping tracks and changing presets, you just say and it does it (and it seems to capture really well)... no confirmation language. Confirms intercom names and I like that (make sure your going to the right helmet! lol).


Wow we've done some serious typing here eh? I think there's great points being made all around. StuartV, I totally agree with the benefit of in-ear speakers versus helmet speakers. No "loss" in sound, plus a little inherent blockage pertaining to wind noise inside the helmet. Win win.

And BlueLghtning, you obviously have a ton of knowledge about the Sena system and I'm glad that you took the time to lay it all out there. A genuine thank you.

Also, Im beyond happy that both of these systems are upgradeable because as with anything you buy anymore, being "old news" shortly after purchase gets old quick.

As fellow riders, it ALWAYS makes me happy when I hear that someone found something that works good for them, because there is a TON of crap out there.
But, as somebody that is entering the market for the first time, and with no bias toward any product or brand, I've got to look at the facts. I've looked at every video/review out there by now. The G9 represents the greatest evolution in these types of devices thus far, and we HAVE to assume that the other brands will follow some of its footsteps. Did anyone look at that link for the Cardo Community? Here it is again:
http://blog.motorcycle-tourer.co.uk/...rdo-community/

Seriously, take a look at that when you get a chance. That is some seriously next-level stuff, and there isn't a company out there that gets even close to that kind of customization/networking/pairing with other riders all via an online "social network" if you will.

To me this has become an easy choice to make. I'll let you guys know if the reasons I'm choosing this one are validated under real world conditions!!!!
MelissaToBeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:07 PM   #39
MelissaToBeMe OP
Adventurer
 
MelissaToBeMe's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPS View Post
It's not cheap for me either. To me that's the reason I went with Sena. I read more positive reviews from users of Sena, than users of other brands.

And being in Indonesia, returning a merchandise purchased, is out of the question. I mean, you guys in the US have the luxury of returning stuffs you purchased and doesn't meet your expectation. I can do that too but only for stuff/merchandise purchased from the US ... it will not be practical and costly though. However I can't return merrchandise I bought locally.

So I have to be more careful than you guys in the US when buying something, cause if I made a wrong purchase, I wil have to keep it, no way to return it.

Go with which ever you think will fits your needs better. If you get Scala, don't forget to write review.
Wow that's interesting. With how much I looked into these things I probably would have driven myself crazy knowing the decision is finite!
Thanks for posting, and I definitely will.
MelissaToBeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:53 PM   #40
StuartV
Motorcyclist
 
StuartV's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Bristow, VA
Oddometer: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaToBeMe View Post
Did anyone look at that link for the Cardo Community? Here it is again:
http://blog.motorcycle-tourer.co.uk/...rdo-community/
I looked at it. Not a single thing there that I give a rip about. Definitely nothing that would have me even consider giving up use of my custom earmolds for sound when I ride. Nor anything that would convince me to give up near-instant, easy control of my intercom, music, or phone.

Like I said before, if the Scala offered the quick and easy one-handed control that the Sena does and ADDED voice control (and also let me use custom earmolds), I would totally want to check it out.

I have 2 helmets (plus my girlfriend's), 2 Senas, and some extra helmet clamps. A buddy flew out to go riding with me. I attached an extra helmet clamp to his helmet (took about 5 minutes) and he used my girlfriend's Sena all weekend. When I need to wear my other helmet, I just unclip my Sena from one helmet and clip it to the other. How does the G9 work for those kinds of scenarios?
__________________
- Stu
'09 R12GS, '05 GSX-R1000
Iron Butt # 4999, WERA/CCS EX # 666 (currently, expired), AMA Life Member
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:02 PM   #41
Riot
Tiger Rider
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Brisvagas, Oztralia
Oddometer: 104
G4 and G9 same same but different.

You can attach the module to multiple base units very easily.
I have a G4 but 2 of the features I wanted VOX and long term support via firmware upgrades were never delivered satifactorily.
The G4 is OK but not great, and easy to use one handed even in gloves.
It is however not worth the money charged for IMHO as promises were never delivered on, I could have got a $50 chinese knockoff and saved $250 and probably been just as happy, or bought 4 for a group ride and still have fuel and lunch money as change for the first ride.
Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:40 AM   #42
MelissaToBeMe OP
Adventurer
 
MelissaToBeMe's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartV View Post
I looked at it. Not a single thing there that I give a rip about.

I'm starting to feel like a BlueRay salesperson talking to a group of proud VCR owners.

"Well, my VCR plays movies just fine, why would I use all that other stuff??"

"Ummm.....I'm sure it does. You're right sir; they do both play a movie."


Honest question, does the Sena offer anything even close to that? Like a visual representation of your unit? Or is it all through the "dial menu"? I know they both have menus for on the fly changes......but the ability to type in the FM stations I want (I think the Sena's just got FM....way to go!) , SEE who I'm paired with (all 8 of them), pair with people over the internet for a ride coming up on Sunday, upgraded my software, sync my changes, etc.; it makes that SMH10 look like something from a museum!

scala rider needs to add an earbud option baaaaaaaaad, because that seems to be one of the big key difference that's hard for anyone to see past.
MelissaToBeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:42 AM   #43
El Gato
Studly Adventurer
 
El Gato's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Los Gatos, CA
Oddometer: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartV View Post
I looked at it. Not a single thing there that I give a rip about. Definitely nothing that would have me even consider giving up use of my custom earmolds for sound when I ride. Nor anything that would convince me to give up near-instant, easy control of my intercom, music, or phone.

Like I said before, if the Scala offered the quick and easy one-handed control that the Sena does and ADDED voice control (and also let me use custom earmolds), I would totally want to check it out.
This. Paramount to me is that the BT headset has good sound and is reliable. The Sena, with custom-molded earbuds, is going to sound light-years better than a G9 through helmet speakers. No questions asked. Full stop. That's the critical differentiator in my mind. The Sena pairs easily with my buddies and maintains contact with them nearly 100% of the time, handles my music and GPS needs, is reliable and upgradeable.

Everything beyond that is just cool gee-wizardry that distracts from the intended purpose. If I want to social network I'll log onto Facebook. I don't need my BT headset to be my social network. All the bells and whistles can't overcome the fact that the G9 will still sound just mediocre compared to the Sena with earbuds.
__________________
---
El Gato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:45 AM   #44
El Gato
Studly Adventurer
 
El Gato's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Los Gatos, CA
Oddometer: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaToBeMe View Post

I'm starting to feel like a BlueRay salesperson talking to a group of proud VCR owners.

"Well, my VCR plays movies just fine, why would I use all that other stuff??"

"Ummm.....I'm sure it does. You're right sir; they do both play a movie."


Honest question, does the Sena offer anything even close to that? Like a visual representation of your unit? Or is it all through the "dial menu"? I know they both have menus for on the fly changes......but the ability to type in the FM stations I want (I think the Sena's just got FM....way to go!) , SEE who I'm paired with (all 8 of them), pair with people over the internet for a ride coming up on Sunday, upgraded my software, sync my changes, etc.; it makes that SMH10 look like something from a museum!

scala rider needs to add an earbud option baaaaaaaaad, because that seems to be one of the big key difference that's hard for anyone to see past.
No insult intended, but you're really starting to sound like someone that's trying to sell something you have no first-hand experience with. I get that you've seen a bunch of Youtube videos and have become infatuated with the G9. Reality seldom mirrors the Marketing.
__________________
---
El Gato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:55 AM   #45
some call me...tim
Gnarly Adventurer
 
some call me...tim's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaToBeMe View Post

I'm starting to feel like a BlueRay salesperson talking to a group of proud VCR owners.

"Well, my VCR plays movies just fine, why would I use all that other stuff??"

"Ummm.....I'm sure it does. You're right sir; they do both play a movie."


Honest question, does the Sena offer anything even close to that? Like a visual representation of your unit? Or is it all through the "dial menu"? I know they both have menus for on the fly changes......but the ability to type in the FM stations I want (I think the Sena's just got FM....way to go!) , SEE who I'm paired with (all 8 of them), pair with people over the internet for a ride coming up on Sunday, upgraded my software, sync my changes, etc.; it makes that SMH10 look like something from a museum!

scala rider needs to add an earbud option baaaaaaaaad, because that seems to be one of the big key difference that's hard for anyone to see past.
More like a Zune salesman. Lots of features that may be cool, but that in reality, nobody uses.
some call me...tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014