Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 11:05 AM   #46
MelissaToBeMe OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gato View Post
No insult intended, but you're really starting to sound like someone that's trying to sell something you have no first-hand experience with. I get that you've seen a bunch of Youtube videos and have become infatuated with the G9. Reality seldom mirrors the Marketing.
Touché. And I agree with you, all I have to base anything on is what I've seen and read. Just trying to spark conversation because these two do seem to be quite different. I'll spend so time using them on the bike once I pick them up and report findings on here later.... Cheers!
MelissaToBeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:10 PM   #47
scootertrog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Wind noise being picked up can be caused by several factors not shown in a video:

1. Chin vent open or closed.
2. Visor cracked open.
3. Mic position or helmet bottom opening shape.
4.... I'm sure there are lots other reasons.

Has Scala EVER given their users a special factory deal on upgrades? Sena has. All the original users had the opportunity to upgrade to the new style for about $50 if I recall. That was a truly impressive campaign on Sena's part.

Sena has regular firmware updates that are very easy to load, or unload, if you don't like the change.

I ride an evil naked bike with hi-perf cans, if anyone knows about wind and noise I have a good idea, lol. Wearing ear plugs, I've never wanted more volume from the Sena. If you need something louder - you DO have a hearing problem.

I do not have any experience with the latest Scala. Do you really think you'll gab with 7 other folks on a trip? Time to hop on a tour bus if there's going to be that much conversation, lol.

The Jog Dial is as stupid-proof as it could get. I've only seen 1 system that is simpler in operation - Autocom. But Autocom comes with wiring headaches and the umbilical cord.
scootertrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:23 PM   #48
kingby
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
I am just looking into these units as well. One thing I know from experience is having 4 or 5 voice command items at home/work, I never use them with voice command. No matter how much I envision using them, or would like to use them, when I am in a hurry and need to use the devise, I just start pushing buttons.

Iphone 5 - rarely use Siri
My car Nav system - ughh stop repeating yourself
Wife's car Nav system - seems to understand me better, if I use some foreign accent.
Macbooks and PCs - never

The technology is there in all of these devices (some better than others), but its the tactile easy to use interfaces that win people over. A big part of Apple's success is due to there intuitive touch and swipe motions. Everybody has copied them since.

I think I am a jog dial guy and the Senna is looking on top right now. Couple that with ability to use my Shure IEM's and I get quiet along with great sounding music, ability to use my phone (in an easy way), flexibility and reliability in pairing with others. All for less than the G9 too.

Although the Cardo community seems appealing, I would bet you my bike that once I set the thing up the first time, I would never go back to using it, so all those features would be wasted.
kingby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:48 PM   #49
Cerberus83
The Wingman

Oddometer: 142
Sena smh10

I would highly recommend SENA SMH10 (even over the new SMH10R). Though I have not tried (or seen) R in person, keep in mind that in order to have that thin profile you have a separate battery pack that you have to stick to your helmet (I'll pass on that).

I have been using SENA for about a year now and I only have positive things to say about it:
-super user friendly
-very easy to pair devices (I've been streaming Pandora via my Driod w/o problem)
-I recently added Zumo 665 and works perfectly
-volume is quite loud (cannot listen to it on max if I don't have earplugs)
-cell features (placing/receiving calls) works perfectly (in fact, people have no idea I'm riding while talking to them and tried this at 30-60-80mph on Ducati 848 and MTS1200)
-firmware upgrades!! SENA just released it's new fw v4.2 (because THEY LISTEN TO THEIR CUSTOMERS!)
-in addition to manual setup, you can also enable/disable features using the device manager on your PC
-voice commands work on Android* (can call my wife / parents w/o a problem)
-I definitely prefer the jog dial feature (beeps when min/max volume is reached; you press and turn to change songs; glove-friendly)
-battery on this thing is insane (I think I listened to Pandora for about 10-11hrs straight on a single charge)

*this depends on your phone and which voice prompt app you're using (tired native Google app, but had better luck with Vlingo)

I don't have any cons, but if I had to pick one it would probably be the boom mic that comes with the set (I will replace it with the kit that was provided on the first/second page of this thread). Maybe the size of the unit, but it's light and it's not noticeable once your helmet is on (in fact, this is probably a pro in my book b/c it's easy to use with your gloves on).

I haven't used VOX or community (range) features so no comment on that.

Read the unbiased review.

Yes, get SENA!
Cerberus83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:37 PM   #50
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaToBeMe View Post

I'm starting to feel like a BlueRay salesperson talking to a group of proud VCR owners.

"Well, my VCR plays movies just fine, why would I use all that other stuff??"

"Ummm.....I'm sure it does. You're right sir; they do both play a movie."

Honest question, does the Sena offer anything even close to that? Like a visual representation of your unit? Or is it all through the "dial menu"? I know they both have menus for on the fly changes......but the ability to type in the FM stations I want (I think the Sena's just got FM....way to go!) , SEE who I'm paired with (all 8 of them), pair with people over the internet for a ride coming up on Sunday, upgraded my software, sync my changes, etc.; it makes that SMH10 look like something from a museum!

scala rider needs to add an earbud option baaaaaaaaad, because that seems to be one of the big key difference that's hard for anyone to see past.
You're (mostly) talking about stuff that happens when you're sitting at your computer. I don't give a rip about what happens with my Sena when I'm sitting at my computer. I plug it in every now and then to update firmware and, other than that, it has nothing to do with my computer.

If you need to make frequent changes to your intercom, then I'd say there's something wrong with your intercom.

My Sena does not do FM radio and I don't care about that. I use my iPod Touch or my Android phone as my music source and I either listen to my own MP3s, Pandora, or the SiriusXM radio app. When I'm riding, I'm not likely to be able to pick up the same FM station for the whole ride - or even much of the ride. Same reason I virtually never use FM radio in my car or truck. Nothing there I want to listen to.

You keep focusing on (useless or gimmicky) features and what you can do with it when you're sitting at your computer. The rest of us, who are actually using intercoms, will keep focusing on how well they work for us when we're actually out riding. You already stated, earlier, that you don't care so much about talking to your friends (who have Senas), so I definitely don't see why you keep making a big deal about how you can pair up with people so easily online and then connect to them with voice. YOU don't have a use for that (especially since you said your friends have Senas), and WE are telling you WE don't have a use for it, either.

If you want to use the Blu-ray/VHS analogy, I think you are the VHS salesman, not the Blu-ray salesman, here. "This VCR will let you program it to automatically pause your movie every 45 minutes so that, if you fell asleep, it will wait for you to hit Play when you wake up, so you can resume watching!" Neat! Useless!! "This VCR will let you control it with your voice. You can Play, Pause, Fast Forward, and Rewind, all without ever picking up your remote!" Neat! Useless!!!

Blu-ray offers a superior (by far) picture. THAT is the compelling reason to use it over VHS. These intercoms don't do video. They only do audio. And the Sena offers a superior (by far) sound quality - via custom earmold speakers.

Buy a VHS tape player if you want. I'll stick with my Blu-ray that "only" lets me pair up with 3 other people and forces me to remember which one is 1, 2, and 3.
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:40 PM   #51
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,163
true story.

I have a sena shm10

I was riding up hwy 33 on my sportbike with louder aftermarket exhaust.

got a phone call and answered it. talked about 5 minutes. asked my friend if he knew I was riding on my motorcycle and he said no!

I use my sena for BT comms with 2 other Sena users. one is running the original model without firmware update capability. We have been on 8-9 hour rides without battery charging.

I have it synced to my iPhone but I rarely listen to music.

one thing that does bother is I got the SENA sm10 to pipe my radar detector into my headset. I can't seem to get comms AND the SM10 to work together. I get one channel or the other.
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:52 PM   #52
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,586
Ok guys, I've read the pros and cons of both. I'm interested in something in this order... Most important, music quality and volume. I'm half deaf already and want to wear ear plugs and still hear my music at 70+ mph. Second is Bluetooth pairing for phone calls on an iPhone 4. A distant third would be bike to bike communication, no one I know of has or would ever think about using something like this. Maybe some point in the future my wife on the back would like a unit but even that is unlikely.

Which one do I go with? Leaning towards the SMH10.
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:19 PM   #53
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,898
Quote:

Honest question, does the Sena offer anything even close to that? Like a visual representation of your unit? Or is it all through the "dial menu"? I know they both have menus for on the fly changes......but the ability to type in the FM stations I want (I think the Sena's just got FM....way to go!) , SEE who I'm paired with (all 8 of them), pair with people over the internet for a ride coming up on Sunday, upgraded my software, sync my changes, etc.; it makes that SMH10 look like something from a museum!

scala rider needs to add an earbud option baaaaaaaaad, because that seems to be one of the big key difference that's hard for anyone to see past.
Not sure if anyone answered this above. The Sena's have a firmware upgrade program that does show you settings like VOX, High Fidelity A2DP, error correction and a few other things I can't recall. So yes it has a small visual screen. Its not nearly as in depth as the Scala one, but it does allow you to set pretty much all your settings via a computer instead of via the menu if that's your main concern. I only hook mine up to the PC when I need to do a firmware update. So its been hooked up maybe 2-3 times so far and that's it.

The Sena doesn't show you anything like who's paired to you and certainly doesn't have that entire "community" like the Scala, but I don't think I'd use it if it did?
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here

BlueLghtning screwed with this post 03-27-2013 at 07:25 PM
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:21 PM   #54
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorTroy View Post
Ok guys, I've read the pros and cons of both. I'm interested in something in this order... Most important, music quality and volume. I'm half deaf already and want to wear ear plugs and still hear my music at 70+ mph. Second is Bluetooth pairing for phone calls on an iPhone 4. A distant third would be bike to bike communication, no one I know of has or would ever think about using something like this. Maybe some point in the future my wife on the back would like a unit but even that is unlikely.

Which one do I go with? Leaning towards the SMH10.
I think you'll be happy with the Sena. Its pretty loud, especially with the latest update and if you really have trouble hearing the speakers, you could always upgrade to the ear bud setup. Music sounds good on the Sena, even the speakers although as others have said, you can't beat noise cancelling headphones or custom ear molds.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:27 PM   #55
KiloBravo
Armchair Adventurer

Oddometer: 585
If you have hearing problems go with the molded ear buds, these low profile speakers will just disappoint you.

Someone posted about wind noise on your phone calls, move you mic directly in front of your mouth with the foam cover over it, I do business call's with folks that complain over tire noise coming through when in the car, no complaints when I'm on the bike with the Sena.
KiloBravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:33 PM   #56
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,586
Great thanks fellas
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:51 PM   #57
MelissaToBeMe OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootertrog View Post
Wind noise being picked up can be caused by several factors not shown in a video:

1. Chin vent open or closed.
2. Visor cracked open.
3. Mic position or helmet bottom opening shape.
4.... I'm sure there are lots other reasons.

Has Scala EVER given their users a special factory deal on upgrades? Sena has. All the original users had the opportunity to upgrade to the new style for about $50 if I recall. That was a truly impressive campaign on Sena's part.
Conditions for both systmes where tested under identical conditions. Half helmet test first, full face helmet second on both. They're at the very top of the thread if you want to check them out.

Pertaining to the comment on upgrades, I didn't know that and it's definitley very cool of them. I know if I went to Apple an iPad 2 looking for a deal on a current model they would roll over laughing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus83 View Post
-firmware upgrades!! SENA just released it's new fw v4.2 (because THEY LISTEN TO THEIR CUSTOMERS!)

Read the unbiased review.
WebBikeWorld, looks like they named the scala rider G9 intercom of the year for 2012.
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...-g9/review.htm

Sena's firmware upgrades list for SMH10:
http://www.senabluetooth.com/downloa...0_V4.2Beta.txt
These "frequent updates" that keep being mentioned are comprised mostly of things to fix problems and catching up with other companies!? Just got 4 way conference in April!?? LOL, wow. And multi-language voice prompts, multi point, etc..... guys; these are things the G4 had. No WONDER they're so frequent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartV View Post
You're (mostly) talking about stuff that happens when you're sitting at your computer. I don't give a rip about what happens with my Sena when I'm sitting at my computer. I plug it in every now and then to update firmware and, other than that, it has nothing to do with my computer.
That is only one aspect of the G9. You'd be "sitting at the computer" just as you would when changing something on your iPod Touch through iTunes that you mentioned you have. To suggest any more frequency than that is far reached. The point being made is that you CAN do it. It's more intuitive. And Sena has nothing like it.

BUT, from what I'm seeing in those software updates it looks like Sena pretty much follows what scala rider does (once it can)....so maybe it will one day!?
MelissaToBeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:16 PM   #58
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Not that I'm trying to start a bashing thread here and I'm sure you could dig up negative posts on the Sena too, but there's a common theme when I read these linked threads below. You seem pretty set on the G9's so go pick one up and let us know how it works for you. Not everyone is in love with them though?

Common Issues Mentioned:
VOX sucks
Trouble with voice commands
Low Volume & tinny sound in the speakers
Overall frustration - Can't get the unit to do what they wanted it to
Impossible to reliably connect 3 or more people without issues.

- My Negative Cardo Scala Rider G9 Experience / Review
- Cardo Scala G9 - Read Posts 19 & 27.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:27 PM   #59
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,284
Quote:
These "frequent updates" that keep being mentioned are comprised mostly of things to fix problems and catching up with other companies!? Just got 4 way conference in April!?? LOL, wow. And multi-language voice prompts, multi point, etc..... guys; these are things the G4 had. No WONDER they're so frequent!

That is only one aspect of the G9. You'd be "sitting at the computer" just as you would when changing something on your iPod Touch through iTunes that you mentioned you have. To suggest any more frequency than that is far reached. The point being made is that you CAN do it. It's more intuitive. And Sena has nothing like it.

BUT, from what I'm seeing in those software updates it looks like Sena pretty much follows what scala rider does (once it can)....so maybe it will one day!?
I got my Senas last April (2012). In researching them, at the time, they could do a 4 way conference and the Scala at the time could not.
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:06 AM   #60
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer: 1,420
My affair with scalas ended when a unit failed and their "warranty" was to encourage me to upgrade for a fee. Yes, it was a fair deal if I wanted the more expensive newer unit; but I didn't, and it was only a deal if you compared it to full list.

Ymmv of course, but we're moving to the sena units now that we're running outta scala units.

S
Bad decisions make good stories.
Alleycatdad is online now   Reply With Quote