ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Alaska
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-25-2013, 12:49 PM   #1
hannes vg OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: belgium
Oddometer: 61
belgium/alaska

hello,

about one year ago i started to ride a motorcycle.
from the first minute on it i was hooked.
i could not believe i waited so long to buy a motorcycle.
words cannot describe the feeling i get when i'm on my bike, just riding in to nowhere.

a couple of months ago, i got the opportunity to quite my job for 3 months.
after some short thinking i decided to go to canada and alaska.
the 2 country's on my to see list.
trying to ship my own bike to canada was to expensive.
so with the help from an adv inmate i bought a bike 2003 klr650.

i'm flying 5 may to calgary to pick up the bike.
normally i'm riding alaska in june and july.
from haines to tok, tok to valdez, valdez taking a ferry to whittier, whittier to denali and back to the yukon

i'm trying to camp as much as possible to keep the cost low.
i'm pretty much a noob (first big trip on a motorcycle)
so tips are mor than welcome.
nice campsites, place's i must see.

would you recommend the ferry crossing from valdez to whittier?
somewhere along the trip i'm gonna have to change my chain and sprocket. i'll be carrying one with me but i have never done it before.
are there a lot of motorcycle shops along the way that could help me with that?

thanks
greetings from belgium
hannes vg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:27 PM   #2
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
Oddometer: 5,268
try to plan on Dawson for D2D.... June 20

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=830583

there will be plenty of advise on camp spots & sights... I'll start with the 2 biggies.... McCarthy/Kennecot mine & Denali Highway. ferry to Whittier.... meh... maybe.

you'll also find help working on your bike pretty much anywhere. we can change the chain in Dawson if need be or do it in Anchorage (800k) if you are coming that way.
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:45 PM   #3
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
Oddometer: 5,268
bump... all the advice yous guys got & nuttin for this poor belgie?
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:52 PM   #4
TonyTooTall
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Anchorage
Oddometer: 20
I just picked up a KLR650 too, i live in Anchorage, Keep in touch when you get towards Valdez, I will totally meet up with you and keep you company for a bit. Outside of Valdez is the road to McCarthy and the Kennicott mine/Glacier. Google it, really beautiful, its a 60 mile ride down a dirt road, use to be dirt been years since i have been there, But worth a look if your in no particular hurry. And your more than welcome to crash on our couch and use the garage if need be. Cheers, Tony.
TonyTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:50 PM   #5
RichAK
nOOd
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Girdwood AK
Oddometer: 19
+1 on the trip to McCarthy. The ferry to Whittier is well worth it with the wildlife and glaciers. There is a high speed and a low speed ferry so take the slow one to spend more time on the water. Free transit through the Whittier tunnel traveling east to west. From Portage it's a nice 80 miles to Seward. There is a good thread with advice for traveling AK in this section.
RichAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:28 AM   #6
Alaskahack
Adventurer
 
Alaskahack's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Wasilla
Oddometer: 505
+2 on McCarthy and the ferry to Whittier
Take your time bring a good camera and a bunch of SD cards

And have fun, keep posting and when you get closer we all can meet up
__________________
'09 R1200 GS with a DMC M72DX Sidecar

Blog: alaskapeeks.blogspot.com

Retired and Riding
Alaskahack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:30 PM   #7
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer
 
Drunk_Uncle's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Anchorage, AK
Oddometer: 2,035
I'm in on a ride McCarthy road if it times out to be a weekend ride.
__________________
"I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death"
'13 Tiger 800XC, '13 KLR 650, and a 2010 Honda NT700V for the wife.
Drunk_Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:16 AM   #8
hannes vg OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: belgium
Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichAK View Post
+1 on the trip to McCarthy. The ferry to Whittier is well worth it with the wildlife and glaciers. There is a high speed and a low speed ferry so take the slow one to spend more time on the water. Free transit through the Whittier tunnel traveling east to west. From Portage it's a nice 80 miles to Seward. There is a good thread with advice for traveling AK in this section.



thanks for the advice.
do you know how long the slow ferry takes to get to whittier?

thanks
greetings belgium
hannes vg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:38 AM   #9
RichAK
nOOd
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Girdwood AK
Oddometer: 19
Six and a half hours compared to three and a half. Checking the Alaska Marine Highway website will give you lots more info. Happy trails!
RichAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:42 PM   #10
Ducati7444
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannes vg View Post
hello,

about one year ago i started to ride a motorcycle.
from the first minute on it i was hooked.
i could not believe i waited so long to buy a motorcycle.
words cannot describe the feeling i get when i'm on my bike, just riding in to nowhere.

a couple of months ago, i got the opportunity to quite my job for 3 months.
after some short thinking i decided to go to canada and alaska.
the 2 country's on my to see list.
trying to ship my own bike to canada was to expensive.
so with the help from an adv inmate i bought a bike 2003 klr650.

i'm flying 5 may to calgary to pick up the bike.
normally i'm riding alaska in june and july.
from haines to tok, tok to valdez, valdez taking a ferry to whittier, whittier to denali and back to the yukon

i'm trying to camp as much as possible to keep the cost low.
i'm pretty much a noob (first big trip on a motorcycle)
so tips are mor than welcome.
nice campsites, place's i must see.

would you recommend the ferry crossing from valdez to whittier?
somewhere along the trip i'm gonna have to change my chain and sprocket. i'll be carrying one with me but i have never done it before.
are there a lot of motorcycle shops along the way that could help me with that?

thanks
greetings from belgium
Hi,

Orignaly from Belgium too (Liege) and will be riding from NC to Dead Horse from June 16th to end of Jully....let see if our roads cross and we will drink few beers and put dead meat on the fire...
Ducati7444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:58 PM   #11
hannes vg OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: belgium
Oddometer: 61
valdez

hi,

i'm in valdez today and taking the ferry to whittier tomorow.
anyone got some advice for whittier? just drive trough it or.....?
place to go?
after the whittier i'm going to seward.
gonna drive some backroads in valdes today maybe the kennicot trail.

the wheater is just so great, amazing here!!!!
hannes vg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:15 PM   #12
OneTraveller
Social Reject
 
OneTraveller's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: The Last Frontier
Oddometer: 123
The only way out of Whittier is through a shared railway tunnel. They stagger the openings for vehicle and rail traffic, but it's pretty simple, just don't ride into the railtrack. There really isn't much to see in Whittier, although the Ferry ride should be spectacular if the weather stays nice.

Glad you are enjoying the trip.

Mike
__________________
-2013 Multistrada 1200 S Granturismo
-2003 R1150RT - gone but not forgotten
-1987 Honda XL600R - gone
To paraphrase Antoine de St-Exupery
I ride because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things.
OneTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:53 PM   #13
AKoffroader
Adventurer
 
AKoffroader's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Chugiak Alaska
Oddometer: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannes vg View Post
hi,

i'm in valdez today and taking the ferry to whittier tomorow.
anyone got some advice for whittier? just drive trough it or.....?
place to go?
after the whittier i'm going to seward.
gonna drive some backroads in valdes today maybe the kennicot trail.

the wheater is just so great, amazing here!!!!
If you're down around Kenai, I've got a guest cabin if you need a place to stay. (907) 242-0078 cell

Greg
__________________
2006 Yamaha TW200
2008 Yamaha WR250R
2008 Suzuki DR650
2012 Yamaha XT1200Z
1978 Yamaha TT500
AKoffroader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:36 AM   #14
Full Power
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Homer, Alaska
Oddometer: 1,402
Free Camping in Homer.
... Guest shack is empty at the moment...
KLR maintenance facilities as well.
give a call when you get close to town.
.
. sent ya a PM with telephone.
Cheers.
__________________
Warm enough to RAIN is warm enough to RIDE.

Full Power screwed with this post 06-25-2013 at 11:39 AM Reason: numbers
Full Power is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:58 PM   #15
Full Power
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Homer, Alaska
Oddometer: 1,402
If you roll in town LATE, and I am closed, you are welcome to park, and pitch tent anywhere around the Full Power shop..
Off Ocean drive, on the way out to the SPIT, it will be on your left, North side of road.
little green metal building, yellow sign by the road, Blue ugly dodge flatbed pickup right next to road.
.
. Try the " Little Mermaid " on the spit for dinner or snack, little tiny shop, boardwalk on the east side of spit.
Tell Evin that Full Power sent ya....
. I will look for you in the morning.
__________________
Warm enough to RAIN is warm enough to RIDE.
Full Power is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014