Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2011, 11:14 PM   #1
ThatGuy OP
Brownie

Oddometer: 4,493
Alaska Side Roads

I have traveled to most cities with roads but I have no clue of the many side
dirt roads that are out there. I know many here are aware of some of these roads where we can get a bike across and/or have scenic views. The places below are places I plan to visit this summer. Help me and the other out! Please feel free to add any places I left out.

Copy and paste with the roads:

Anchorage

Valdez

Homer

McCarthy/Kennicott

Hope

Palmer

Wasilla

Fairbanks

Glennallen

Tok

Seward

Kenai/Soldotna
Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.
ThatGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 05:43 AM   #2
mitch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,317
Question

They tell me that the Milepost is your friend.
06 GSA . SE. will try to stay away from pickups.
Well it was a car this time #L/tib & fib in the same place as the previous F wit crushed it
Ducati making mechanics out of riders for 50 years
mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:58 AM   #3
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,841

Anchorage

Valdez: You used to be able to take the loop along the old highway at the base of the mountains just before crossing the Tiekel River. Not sure if anyone has carved a new path along there since the flood washed out the first part of the road.

Homer

McCarthy/Kennicott

Hope

Palmer

Wasilla

Fairbanks: Manley Hot Springs, Circle (would like to do the latter myself this summer)

Glennallen: Klutina Lake Road. But it has some really nasty clay that can wipe you out if it has been raining.

Between Glennallen and Tok there's the Nabesna Rd. It ends just past the residences at Devil's Mt, about 42 miles back in. Very scenic in clear weather.

Tok: Another old highway loop, takes off where you first get to the Little Tok River and comes back to the new highway just past the second bridge.

Seward

Kenai/Soldotna
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:36 AM   #4
ThatGuy OP
Brownie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch View Post
They tell me that the Milepost is your friend.
Yes it IS your friend if you want mile-by-mile listings. I am looking for side roads that we locals have been on and seen that are not listed anywhere. There are numerousn trails around here but some may take you to the barrel of a loaded gold miner's gun or off a cliff.

opy and paste with the roads:

Anchorage

Valdez: You used to be able to take the loop along the old highway at the base of the mountains just before crossing the Tiekel River. Not sure if anyone has carved a new path along there since the flood washed out the first part of the road.

Homer

McCarthy/Kennicott

Hope

Palmer

Wasilla

Fairbanks
:

Manley Hot Springs, Circle (would like to do the latter myself this summer)

Glennallen:

Klutina Lake Road. But it has some really nasty clay that can wipe you out if it has been raining.

Between Glennallen and Tok there's the Nabesna Rd. It ends just past the residences at Devil's Mt, about 42 miles back in. Very scenic in clear weather.

Tok:

Another old highway loop, takes off where you first get to the Little Tok River and comes back to the new highway just past the second bridge.

Seward

Kenai/Soldotna
Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:02 AM   #5
AKmud
Muddy Gruver

Oddometer: 927

Anchorage

Homer

McCarthy/Kennicott

Hope

Palmer

Farm Loop road, Buffalo Mine and Soapstone roads are fun with some twisties.

Wasilla

Big Lake

Follow S. Big Lake Road out to Burma then over to Pt. McKenzie and back on KGB or keep going out S. Big Lake to the end (long dirt road).

Willow

Long Lake road is a fun back country road which meets up with Nancy Lake parkway to the South or head North and come back to the Parks hwy by the Deshka landing and Willow creek.

Fairbanks:

Glennallen:

Klutina Lake Road. But it has some really nasty clay that can wipe you out if it has been raining.

Tok:

Another old highway loop, takes off where you first get to the Little Tok River and comes back to the new highway just past the second bridge.

Seward

Kenai/Soldotna

Old 06-09-2011, 12:23 PM   #6
Solarmoose
electric

Oddometer: 648
great idea this

Anchorage

Homer

McCarthy/Kennicott

Hope

Palmer

Wasilla

Big Lake

Follow S. Big Lake Road out to Burma then over to Pt. McKenzie and back on KGB or keep going out S. Big Lake to the end (long dirt road).

Willow

Long Lake road is a fun back country road which meets up with Nancy Lake parkway to the South or head North and come back to the Parks hwy by the Deshka landing and Willow creek.

Fairbanks:

Murphy Dome Rd - 22 miles to top of dome and great view, first 8 are paved, then another 10 or so miles of dirt to Chatanika river.

Glennallen:

Tok:

Seward

Kenai/Soldotna

Old 06-09-2011, 01:30 PM   #7
JagLite
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 928
Cool2 Adventure roads

Anchorage

Homer

McCarthy/Kennicott

Hope

Palmer

Hatcher Pass to Willow. Fun dirt road with paved ends and some great views. Have lunch at the Hatcher Pass Lodge, make it a round trip for twice the fun.

Wasilla

Big Lake

Willow

Fairbanks:

Murphy Dome Rd - 22 miles to top of dome and great view, first 8 are paved, then another 10 or so miles of dirt to Chatanika river.

Glennallen:

Tok:

Seward

Kenai/Soldotna

Ordeal and Adventure
James
JagLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 04:47 PM   #8
dmasliah
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Mineral Creek Road ,Valdez

I'm not sure how far back it goes. We had to head back to catch the Ferry.
My first water crossing...Does it count if the bike is rented???
dmasliah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 04:59 PM   #9
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmasliah View Post
I'm not sure how far back it goes. We had to head back to catch the Ferry.
My first water crossing...Does it count if the bike is rented???
The road continues on for another mile or two at least. I didn't take my Gold Wing much farther than that creek crossing - it was starting to get high centered on the larger rocks.
Haul Road Primer
Old 06-09-2011, 05:18 PM   #10
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Anchorage

Valdez
You used to be able to take the loop along the old highway at the base of the mountains just before crossing the Tiekel River. Not sure if anyone has carved a new path along there since the flood washed out the first part of the road.

Just over the top of the pass - second parking area - there's a trail that takes off across the top of the ridge. Gives a great view down into the Lowe River valley and the upper end of Keystone Canyon.

Homer
Skyline Drive, with a fantastic view out across Kachemak Bay. It connects with Diamond Ridge Rd, which will bring you back to the highway around Anchor Point.

McCarthy/Kennicott
Across the footbridge and on up to the Kennicott Mine. Also - ride out to the airstrip. Good scenery 360 from there.

Hope
Surprised no one has mentioned the Palmer Creek Rd. Been many, many years since I was up that way.

Palmer
Hatcher Pass to Willow. Fun dirt road with paved ends and some great views. Have lunch at the Hatcher Pass Lodge, make it a round trip for twice the fun.

Wasilla

Big Lake

Willow

Fairbanks

Glennallen
Lake Louise Rd. Starting around Mile 3 there are sections of the old road that are fun on a dualsport. Heavy brush on both sides, so make plenty of noise to avoid coming around a tight bend to find yourself face-to-face with a moose or bear.

Delta Junction
There are loads of dirt/gravel roads all over the "agricultural center" of Delta.

Tok

Seward

Kenai/Soldotna
Skilak Lake loop

How about the Tustemena Lake Rd?
Haul Road Primer
Old 06-09-2011, 06:08 PM   #11
bug67
Hazard Avoidance

Oddometer: 715
Anchorage: Arctic Valley is fun for a short blast up hill. Nice views of the Anchorage Bowl from up there. Be nicer if the military would open up the road to the old Nike missile site.

Homer

McCarthy/Kennicott

Hope:
Palmer Creek Rd.

Palmer

Wasilla

Big Lake

There is much, MUCH to explore in this area. All kinds of off shoot along Burma Rd. Be sure to check out Cameo Dr.

Willow

Fairbanks:

Glennallen:

Tok:

Seward

Kenai/Soldotn
a: Swanson River Rd. Lots to explore.
Check it out: http://www.vegetablesandwich.com
"If you are going through hell, keep going." -Winston Churchill
bug67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:17 PM   #12
ThatGuy OP
Brownie

Anchorage:
Arctic Valley is fun for a short blast up hill. Nice views of the Anchorage Bowl from up there. Be nicer if the military would open up the road to the old Nike missile site.

Homer

McCarthy/Kennicott

Hope:

Palmer Creek Rd.
Found "Wagon Wheel Trail" a couple of years back. Only runs about two mile in town. It starts right across the rental cabins on the main drag. Its a muddy mess when wet and has thick foliage on both sides. It later gravels out and opens out.

Palmer

Wasilla

Big Lake

There is much, MUCH to explore in this area. All kinds of off shoot along Burma Rd. Be sure to check out Cameo Dr.

Willow

Fairbanks:

Glennallen:

Tok:

Seward

Kenai/Soldotn
a:
Swanson River Rd. Lots to explore.

Tustemena Lake Rd

ThatGuy screwed with this post 06-09-2011 at 06:23 PM
Old 06-09-2011, 10:28 PM   #13
marbee40
Some Fear is Good

Oddometer: 1,077
RE: Trails

Anchorage:
Arctic Valley is fun for a short blast up hill. Nice views of the Anchorage Bowl from up there. Be nicer if the military would open up the road to the old Nike missile site.

Homer

McCarthy/Kennicott

Hope:
Palmer Creek Rd.
Found "Wagon Wheel Trail" a couple of years back. Only runs about two mile in town. It starts right across the rental cabins on the main drag. Its a muddy mess when wet and has thick foliage on both sides. It later gravels out and opens out.

Palmer

Farm Loop road, Buffalo Mine and Soapstone roads are fun with some twists.

Clark/Wolverine Road. One way in/out. Glenn to Old Glenn (Arctic) in Palmer. Turn right on OG, down about 3-4 miles. Left onClark/Wolverine. Goes about 10-12 miles, nice twists and views of lower Mat-River. Turns gravel about 5 miles in. Turns to nasty trail that dumped my poor Hundin last year!

Sutton
Just south of Sutton is Mile 58 Road (Goes up to Palmer Correctional Center-PCC). Take up to just before PCC, turn right to 17 Mile Lake. Go around lake to dirt road at base of southbound bluff (can't miss it!). Trail around bluff has large dinosaur eggs which can be navigated easily (Hundin!) in 1st gear. Trail dumps you out at west side of Jonesville Mine rec area. Jonesville Mine Road takes you back to the Glenn in the heart of lovely downtown Sutton!

Wasilla

Big Lake

Willow

Fairbanks:

Glennallen:

Tok:

Seward

Kenai/Soldotna:

Tustemena Lake Rd

marbee40 screwed with this post 06-09-2011 at 10:37 PM
marbee40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:47 PM   #14
AK_Troyer
Not AKTroy

Oddometer: 143
Anchorage:

Homer: Old Sterling from Anchor Point south is paved twisties.

McCarthy/Kennicott: McCarthy Road

Hope:
Palmer Creek Rd.
Hope Road is fun
Palmer

Wasilla

Big Lake

Willow

Fairbanks:

Glennallen:

Tok:

Seward: Crown Point Mine trail

Kenai/Soldotna:
Cooper Landing: Quartz Creek Road, Snug Harbor Road, Skilak Lake Loop

Tustemena Lake Rd
Old 06-10-2011, 06:25 PM   #15
KHuddy
Big Sky Country

Oddometer: 2,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan Rider View Post
....... I didn't take my Gold Wing much farther than that creek crossing -