User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2013, 05:42 PM   #1
adrenalin-junkie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
Need advice on oil light staying on .

I am in Moab , and did the poison spider trail in Moab . On my way returning to Moab after doing some trails. My oil light stayed on after starting up and riding . My oil is due for a cgange .
I have about 4000 miles since my change , and my oil level is fine .

Now , my thought us , that maybe I hit the bashplate a few times PRETTY hard . My sidestand is ok . Nothing damaged in that area . Is there 'm aybe someting else that could cause the oil light to stay on ? We are supposed to do White Rim trail tomorrow .

So any advice will be appreciated . thanks .
adrenalin-junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:04 PM   #2
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,061
Check the oil lines that run under the motor. If they've been smashed, you need to patch that or you will starve the motor of oil. Bad to do.

Also, pull the oil filter and see if it's plugged. If it is, you can pull the filter and run without it for a short time. Not really advisable, but if you have to . . . .
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:07 PM   #3
Goss
LC8 Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,341
Oil light could mean your water pump seal has caused water to migrate into the oil.

If you have the stock oil filter pull it and see if it is wavy. Water makes it swell and the pleats will become wavy. The swelling makes it tougher for the oil to get through which can cause the oil light to come on. This will at least tell you if the water pump seal is a possible cause.
Goss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:09 PM   #4
gearheadE30
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 657
Whatever you do, don't run the bike with the light on. That light is calibrated for a rather low oil pressure as it is for reference at idle. Oil pressure rises somewhat with RPM, but the level that the light triggers at is fixed, so if the light is on and you are above idle, that's especially bad. Sounds like a possible fried pressure regulator or a crimped line somewhere. You would probably be able to hear it if the pump itself had failed.
1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic Wagon sleeper tow car
3 Months Exploring the US on a 950
gearheadE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:23 PM   #5
adrenalin-junkie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Question I have the belly pan off.

I have the bellypan off . And the oil lines to the motor looks good . Nothing smashed , also no oil in the bellypan .

So , can I remove my oil filter without spilling oil all over the parking area . Another thing is , that I have modified my waterpump with the new improved CJ kit .So I am assuming it is not the water pump. The oil looks good . I ran my bije fir about 4 miles from the trail into town , but at 40 mph . Bike starts up fine , but oil light does not flicker . It just stays on .

Anymore advice ?
Old 08-26-2013, 06:57 PM   #6
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenalin-junkie View Post
I have the bellypan off . And the oil lines to the motor looks good . Nothing smashed , also no oil in the bellypan .

So , can I remove my oil filter without spilling oil all over the parking area . Another thing is , that I have modified my waterpump with the new improved CJ kit .So I am assuming it is not the water pump. The oil looks good . I ran my bije fir about 4 miles from the trail into town , but at 40 mph . Bike starts up fine , but oil light does not flicker . It just stays on .

Anymore advice ?
Very little oil should come out of the filter. Tilt the bike to the right, and none should come out.
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:14 PM   #7
Bumpaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
If your oil pressure switch comes unhooked the light will stay on. I'm just sayin'. i live by the KISS principle!
Bumpaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:26 PM   #8
nmdave7
two wheel junkie

Oddometer: 198
I know this sounds simple, but happened to me after I had the air box off. Check the wire going to the oil pressure switch. My connector came loose giving a false oil pressure light. It is located on the rear left side of the front cylinder. Single wire with a blade terminal. Good luck.
nmdave7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:26 PM   #9
adrenalin-junkie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks everyone

I decided to give it a rest , and maybe have a look tomorrow . We have a spare bike with us .So we are doing White Rim Trail . I will be using an Xr650 .

But I do think it is an oil pressure switch wire that came undone . Once agsin , thanks for the geads up .
Old 08-27-2013, 05:54 AM   #10
OlivierS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
I had the same problem last week in Spain... Oil light stayed on, engine was running ok, there was plenty of oil in the engine. Turned out to be a small leak and a faulty oil pressure sensor.
Had it fixed for 55 euro's.
OlivierS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:27 AM   #11
rburkat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
I also had the oil light stay on due to electrical or sensor issues.
It started after I checked my valves, so it meant that I had a bunch of the electrical wires moved in that procedure.

I ended up taking the sensor out, cleaning it and reassembling. That fixed it but not sure if it was an electrical connection or actually a sensor issue.

I also have had experienced oil starvation due to a clogged filter and that manifests it self in noisy cam chain at idle.
Also the light flickers more so than simply staying on.

Quick test to see if the oil filter is clogging is to, lay bike on side, pull out oil filter, and run it without the filter to see if you notice any change.
rburkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:18 AM   #12
nmdave7
two wheel junkie

Oddometer: 198
As a note if your engine wasn't making horrific noise, particularly the top end it's probably a sensor/connection issue.
nmdave7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:53 PM   #13
jas123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpaman View Post
If your oil pressure switch comes unhooked the light will stay on. I'm just sayin'. i live by the KISS principle!
Are you sure this is correct ? On my Superduke when disconnected , the light goes off.
jas123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:00 PM   #14
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,459
mmmmm the pressure switch is a "Normally Closed" switch. Meaning that IF below the low threshold pressure it will "close" and complete the circuit from the center post to the body of the switch. In the application as install on the LC8, this completes the NEG side of the oil light to the engine and in effect the NEG terminal of the battery.... current flows through and the light illuminates. When the oil pressure comes up to the point where it exceeds the threshold of the switch, it opens the circuit and the oil light turns off.

So.... there are several ways that the light can stay on, the wire that plugs into the switch has worn through the insulation and has become 'grounded'..... OR the oil pressure switch is staying in a "Normally Closed" position independent of the applied pressure.

If there is no oil pressure, the cam chains will be clattering like crazy, it will be very loud.
Head2Wind is online now   Reply With Quote