User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 11:24 AM   #1
pdxmotorhead OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 559
Battery and tool box location swap.

Battery box location.. I was thinking that my fascination with electrical farkles will eventually cause me a problem... So would like to put a bigger battery in the 950 (I would like more engine off safe electrical capacity..) I have a Oddesey 535,, and it fits perfect in the tool box under the seat. So I'm thinking of putting a watertight box to go where the stock battery box is and trading their riding positions around!

I know there have been heat issues on some models of the 950/990 from the exhaust,, If you have aftermarket and ditch the silencers with cats,, think that would keep from over heating the battery?

Any other pitfalls?

Cheers
Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:41 PM   #2
Zombie025
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
It's still very hot in there (my experience with 990R+Akras) and you add a lot of weight on top of the bike... and to get to the toolbox you still need tools to unmount the engine guard that are inside there Unless you change sth...
Another thing: is it stable enough to handle 3kg? or more? I think the ABS etc, weighs less and it's only soft plastic there...

Why not using one of the Lipos, that with bigger capacity still fit down there?

But anyhow, my major concern is only the handling, so go ahead
Zombie025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:58 PM   #3
roookie1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Battery in toolbox

Hi Zombie, im thinking about doing the same. Its pretty easy to test if it will affect handling, just two wires to the battery, and Your are ready for a testrun.

If You make a toolbox in the old batterybox, get these for easy access, or make them youself:

http://sigutech.com/index.php?option...1&lang=english
Old 03-26-2013, 03:02 PM   #4
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,309
put in an Earth-X ETX 36 that weights 3lb 11oz .. much higher cranking performance than stock and water tight. only disadvantage is it's $$$ pricey... saves 8lb over the Odyssey PC535 and way outperforms in cranking performance.

more info in LiFePO4 battery testing thread... link in sig

size comp... Shorai LFX36 next to Earth-X ETX36 .. both deliver solid 200amp cranking performance

_cy_ screwed with this post 03-26-2013 at 03:08 PM
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:23 PM   #5
gozirra
Spam?

Oddometer: 140
The Adv I bought has the battery under the seat but unused space where the battery was.
I think it is an oddy battery and the cables are just run to it from the right hand side of the bike.

It works, but do I think it is the best option? No. I would much rather drop in a smaller batt in the stock location and carry a spare fuel pump and air pump in the bottom area. Makes more sense that only large items that I should not need would be on the bottom and outfit my tools and such under the easy to remove seat.
I plan on making those changes, just not right now.

I can try and get shots of how things are run if people need ideas, again not my work but willing to share.
gozirra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:59 PM   #6
Roland44
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
put in an Earth-X ETX 36 that weights 3lb 11oz .. much higher cranking performance than stock and water tight. only disadvantage is it's $$$ pricey... saves 8lb over the Odyssey PC535 and way outperforms in cranking performance.

more info in LiFePO4 battery testing thread... link in sig

size comp... Shorai LFX36 next to Earth-X ETX36 .. both deliver solid 200amp cranking performance
Any idea on how much those babys cost?
Roland44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:43 PM   #7
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland44 View Post
pretty darn expensive! that why I normally recommend AGM, unless saving weight is more important and saving $$$. then depending one how 990 is used... will determine how big a LiFePO4 battery to go with .

generally if your 990 is to be used for Adventure duties ... far away from support... go with largest LiFePO4 battery you can fit into available space.

which would be Earth-X ETX36 ... visit this thread for more info on this exact topic concerning 990 batteries being waterproof, etc: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=869909

for Starbuck duties, always leaving from a heated garage...a smaller LiFePO4 battery can be used.

LOTS more technical info in LiFePO4 testing thread... link in sig
Old 03-26-2013, 10:34 PM   #8
pdxmotorhead OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 559
Good thoughts..

It was kind of a accidental question, I was working on the bike and the battery was sitting there... :) I used it to run the bike while checking my work after running the standard battery down. At full charge it winds the ol 950 over better than the standard Yausa..

I can't convince myself that any battery is worth 350 bucks..

We'll see how the Yausa hold up...

Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:56 AM   #9
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead View Post
Good thoughts..

It was kind of a accidental question, I was working on the bike and the battery was sitting there... :) I used it to run the bike while checking my work after running the standard battery down. At full charge it winds the ol 950 over better than the standard Yausa..

I can't convince myself that any battery is worth 350 bucks..

We'll see how the Yausa hold up...

Dave
hey I thought all you KTM folks are always buying farkles .. getting your bike just right..

doesn't KTM=Keep Throwing Money?

check out this 2009 950 for sale in flea ... $3,500 in farkles with only 4k miles
2009 KTM 950 Super Enduro Erzberg Edition...heavily farkled!

_cy_ screwed with this post 03-27-2013 at 02:03 AM
Old 03-27-2013, 04:17 AM   #10
ABuck99

Oddometer: 488
You might consider running a second parallel LiOp battery underseat in the tool box- switched or inline as your back up starter battery, and using the heavier Agm down low in the orig. location. Small size of LiPo still leaves some room for tools. Using some Lavamat to line the box with. I've used this underneath fuel tanks and other areas to shield heat.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:35 AM   #11
John_L
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 527
EarthX Batteries at CJ Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland44 View Post
Support a huge supporter if you are thinking of buying.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=873728
John_L is offline   Reply With Quote