Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 01:28 PM   #1
Vankaye OP
n00b on the move

Oddometer: 216
Summer Jacket?

Hey FFs,
I have a JoeRocket Phoenix 2.0 that has seen better days. All the armor is dried and crumbled and the jacket is pretty well worn. Maybe time for a new jacket.

But before I run out and buy another Joe Rocket Mesh Jacket, any of you guys had good luck with another brand? I'm in the Tampa Bay area. It's HOT. It's hot with a mesh jacket - hell it's hot with a t-shirt.

Tell me how awesome your mesh jacket is... and what brand/type
Vankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:54 PM   #2
OtownMike
Electron Pusher

Oddometer: 281
Ive got an Icon (I think, not at home now) silver mesh jacket. Havent been down in it so cant vouch for the protection value. Its not too bad in the summer, esp when moving. I think the key is stay away from dark colors that absorb heat.
OtownMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:03 PM   #3
Mugwest

Oddometer: 5,884
I wore a couple of Gericke Timbuktu AIR meshies for sev years. I could commute in hottest part of day & do stop/go shit in the dead of FL summers OK as long as i got airflow going after a few minutes.

But:
my mesh-wearing career came to a halt the day i was trying to shortcut through a parklot and washed out in thin gravel. Ultra-slow lowside, i flopped over to the floor more than 'crashed'. The mesh sleeve's elbow armor simply rotated out of the way, from elbow position to, oh, bicep position as the entire sleeve was pushed back past the elbow. In one second at like zero miles an hour my "armored jacket sleeve" disappeared and was replaced by my bare forearm/elbow. Only got a raspberry out of the deal so no big, but it zapped me on how useless mesh would be in a Real Event.

Try and find a model that you can cinch the hell out of the bicep and forearm parts of the sleeve to keep the armor clamped to yr arm as best as possible.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:23 PM   #4
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugwest View Post
I wore a couple of Gericke Timbuktu AIR meshies for sev years. I could commute in hottest part of day & do stop/go shit in the dead of FL summers OK as long as i got airflow going after a few minutes.

But: my mesh-wearing career came to a halt the day i was trying to shortcut through a parklot and washed out in thin gravel. Ultra-slow lowside, i flopped over to the floor more than 'crashed'. The mesh sleeve's elbow armor simply rotated out of the way, from elbow position to, oh, bicep position as the entire sleeve was pushed back past the elbow. In one second at like zero miles an hour my "armored jacket sleeve" disappeared and was replaced by my bare forearm/elbow. Only got a raspberry out of the deal so no big, but it zapped me on how useless mesh would be in a Real Event.

Try and find a model that you can cinch the hell out of the bicep and forearm parts of the sleeve to keep the armor clamped to yr arm as best as possible.
...or eat powdered steroids with your wheaties, in between sets of bench and curls.

Actually, I just ordered an Acerbis Cosmo protection jacket. It's complete chassis is mesh, but the armor can be cinched and adjusted AND the chest/back/kidney armor can be worn separately. I'm probably just going to be using the chest/back/kidney protection under my Tourmaster mesh Sonora jacket most of the time, but the armor can be worn with just a T-shirt if you choose. I plan to do that for the dirt in hot weather, with separate elbow/forearm armor. I have hi-viz T-shirts to wear under the armor for riding to/from the dirt.

My Tourmaster Sonora mesh jacket is a touring 3/4-length, and it gets a little warm when stopped in the heat. It cools off really nice once I'm moving above 20-30MPH though. It has a rain/wind liner and a thermal liner, and it's fairly comfortable for me from below freezing to above 90F while I'm moving. I treated it with ScotchGuard and CampDry. It now sheds dirt and water better than most hi-viz jackets I've seen. It also has front pockets that can hold chest armor. I'm also wanting to pick up an Icon Hooligan 2 Mil-Spec orange mesh jacket, for a shorter length and different color.

Kommando screwed with this post 03-26-2013 at 02:34 PM
Kommando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:29 PM   #5
Vankaye OP
n00b on the move

The JoeRocket jacket actually cinches up pretty good in the arms... But I have no experience with any other mesh jacket. I pretty much rode in t-shirt until I started reading on this site. You guys talked me into ATGATT.

I did wear a buddies Gortex jacket with heeps of zipper vents and that thing was way too hot. I'm convinced mesh is the only thing that is do-able in the Florida summer heat.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:43 PM   #6
Vankaye OP
n00b on the move

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
...or eat powdered steroids with your wheaties, in between sets of bench and curls.

Actually, I just ordered an Acerbis Cosmo protection jacket. It's complete chassis is mesh, but the armor can be cinched and adjusted AND the chest/back/kidney armor can be worn separately. I'm probably just going to be using the chest/back/kidney protection under my Tourmaster mesh Sonora jacket most of the time, but the armor can be worn with just a T-shirt if you choose. I plan to do that for the dirt in hot weather, with separate elbow/forearm armor. I have hi-viz T-shirts to wear under the armor for riding to/from the dirt.

My Tourmaster Sonora mesh jacket is a touring 3/4-length, and it gets a little warm when stopped in the heat. It cools off really nice once I'm moving above 20-30MPH though. It has a rain/wind liner and a thermal liner, and it's fairly comfortable for me from below freezing to above 90F while I'm moving. I treated it with ScotchGuard and CampDry. It now sheds dirt and water better than most hi-viz jackets I've seen. It also has front pockets that can hold chest armor. I'm also wanting to pick up an Icon Hooligan 2 Mil-Spec orange mesh jacket, for a shorter length and different color.
I'm expecting to sweat my ass off while sitting still which is most likely due to the helmet. As soon as the air starts to flow the sweat does what it's supposed to do - evaporates and cools... as long as the air can get in... under the back armor just stays sweaty and stinky.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:18 PM   #7
AzItLies
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankaye View Post
The JoeRocket jacket actually cinches up pretty good in the arms... But I have no experience with any other mesh jacket. I pretty much rode in t-shirt until I started reading on this site. You guys talked me into ATGATT.

I did wear a buddies Gortex jacket with heeps of zipper vents and that thing was way too hot. I'm convinced mesh is the only thing that is do-able in the Florida summer heat.
Olympia Air Glide are great, and they cinch up very well on the elbows. They don't have the "snaps" other mfgs have, it's a pull cinch, basically pull as tight as u want.

I agree with the other poster that mentions the armor can move out of the way of what it's suppose to be protecting, if the mfg doesn't design it correctly.

Someone on the site has a used Olympia AirGlide III for sale. I have one just like it, if I didn't, I'd buy it!

Cheers
AzItLies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:47 PM   #8
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankaye View Post
I'm expecting to sweat my ass off while sitting still which is most likely due to the helmet. As soon as the air starts to flow the sweat does what it's supposed to do - evaporates and cools... as long as the air can get in... under the back armor just stays sweaty and stinky.
I also use Tourmaster Flex pants. They're cool in the summer and warm in the winter. The knee/shin and hip armor works too, but I often wear separate knee/shin armor, instead of the armor in the pants, for the dirt. The Flex pants are much more protective AND comfortable than jeans for me. I treated these with CampDry too, so they shed rain well.

Check out the youtube videos for the Acerbis Cosmo protection jacket. It shows how you can wear just the armor separately. I was going to just get the Cosmo chest/back protector with the attached kidney belt, but I don't think it comes with the front vertical velcro strap that tucks into the kidney belt. With just the armor, I could wear just a t-shirt underneath and still be protected, or wear any leather or mesh jacket over and still be protected.

I ordered mine from Motorcycle Superstore. I was able to use a 10%-Off coupon they gave me from an earlier tire order. There are many brands of jackets/armor listed that the coupon can not be used for, but Acerbis isn't on that list.
Kommando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:45 PM   #9
brewmann
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 858
I wound up buying a BMW Airshell Jacket (yeah, insert remark here...), The mesh is very rigid and allows about 30% more airflow than any of the other ones I've had. Works great in the summer.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:44 PM   #10
Mugwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmann View Post
I wound up buying a BMW Airshell Jacket (yeah, insert remark here...),
No remark needed The Mothership designs exceptional gear, across the board. The bugaboo these days is the execution of their designs by their Asian production contractors.

I've had 3 pieces of BMW raingear (all China mfr), and the sewing and materials were trash out of the box. My FrogToggs lasted longer, and that's saying something in a moto application

But my City Pants II (Indonesia mfr) have been the damn Bomb. My fave armored pants ever-- excellent design, and the build qual is top-shelf. I wear them to work and if i had a couple more pair i'd wear them every day

What Vankaye brings up is the fact that no rider gear mfr has really addressed daily use gear for the heat/humidity Sandboxers commute in. Guess the commuter market isn't big enough Motos are toys, i guess. Nobody rides to work in 98F/95% humidity i guess
Old 03-26-2013, 08:19 PM   #11
Philip Kuntz
Fleasy Rider

Oddometer: 4,778
I will ride in those temps, and I am looking for new riding pants. How is the ventilation in the City Pants II? All I have ever owned were mesh pants, but I have always worn them over jeans. Now I am thinking I should ditch the jeans and just get some of these.

I was looking for more mesh pants, but your recommendation has caught my attention.
Philip Kuntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:47 AM   #12
Mugwest

Jerry, the City II's have zero ventilation. I was ref'ing them re: build quality vs some of BMW's other gear offerings.

That said, i wear them in summer heat and still like them. They do get toasty if you're just sitting, but they're lined with that football jersey stuff so they don't stick to you. In hell-heat i'll wear wicking skivvies and dust my junk w/ Gold Bond etc.

I wore them last July when Inpet and i rode the 50/50 route to Torreya to hook up w/ some Chuckleheads. That was a pretty hot day, but we were constantly moving.

Luke turned me on to the Citys years ago, and he beat and crashed the shit out of his. When i priced them they were less $$ than Dariens and looked a little less Whale Foreskin-ish. WIN
Old 03-27-2013, 07:50 AM   #13
Jack Daniel
See Ya At The Swamp

Oddometer: 12,014
Fulmer Firetrak

Bought it here in the Flea Market

The Scrub The Swamp
Jack Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:56 AM   #14
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,733
Tourmaster Flex

I've got 4 seasons on a jacket and pants, on or off road no matter
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:54 AM   #15
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK

Oddometer: 10,860
As a mesh jacket goes, I've got a Kili AIR mesh jacket that serves as my general do all. I put a liner in if it's cool, and roll without on the hot days. I'm sure everyone here has seen me in it, but....

Originally Posted by Mugwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail
You shoulda told me to do this a long time ago
My bad
Buzztail is offline   Reply With Quote