Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2013, 06:29 AM   #31
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLARider1 View Post
I went with the Joe Rocket UFO 2.0 because overall the jacket has more lighter colors. I have the blue and white, all white on the shoulders!!! Plenty of mesh and air flow and for the me the less black the better!!! And to me, yes the lighter colors make a huge difference!!!!

I have the Olympia Airglide 3 pants and they are awesome!!!! Again, get the lighter colors, the silver is great, I can wear them all day long in the summer, no problems, along with the UFO 2.0 jacket. If and when I replace the UFO 2 I would probably look at the airglide 3 jacket because if the pants are that good I would have to think that the jacket is also.
That UFO 2.0 sure looks better, stylish-wise, than my Joe Rocket Phoenix, but geekiness aside, I'd put the Phoenix 5.0 jacket up against any of them for coolness. If it gets below 70 degrees I can't wear my Phoenix jacket without the liner or I get too cold.

I don't like the looks of the jacket, but this is the color scheme I have mine in, and I'm just left wishing there was less gray and black on it.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:16 AM   #32
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
That UFO 2.0 sure looks better, stylish-wise, than my Joe Rocket Phoenix, but geekiness aside, I'd put the Phoenix 5.0 jacket up against any of them for coolness. If it gets below 70 degrees I can't wear my Phoenix jacket without the liner or I get too cold.

I don't like the looks of the jacket, but this is the color scheme I have mine in, and I'm just left wishing there was less gray and black on it.

The black on the shoulders is why I didn't choose the Phoenix!! I have the blue/white UFO, shoulders are all white!! The blue is kinda dark, but its no where near as warm as the black.

The UFO is chilly below 70 also. I only have 15 miles to work, so most times I suck it up and ride without the liner because I know its gonna be warm for the afternoon ride home. Under 60 and I have the BMW Rallye 3 on!!@!!!

oh..Mambo....you ever gonna come by and check out the DR with the seat concepts seat mod on it???????????????

I looked real hard at the Phoenix, but with the colors and then I think Motorcyle Superstore had UFO on sale so the UFO won!!
FLARider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:06 AM   #33
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Quote:
The black on the shoulders is why I didn't choose the Phoenix!! I have the blue/white UFO, shoulders are all white!! The blue is kinda dark, but its no where near as warm as the black.

The UFO is chilly below 70 also. I only have 15 miles to work, so most times I suck it up and ride without the liner because I know its gonna be warm for the afternoon ride home. Under 60 and I have the BMW Rallye 3 on!!@!!!

oh..Mambo....you ever gonna come by and check out the DR with the seat concepts seat mod on it???????????????

I looked real hard at the Phoenix, but with the colors and then I think Motorcyle Superstore had UFO on sale so the UFO won!!
Dang, dude... yeah, I meant to do that, but my current job has me working either 5 days a week with no consecutive days off, or 6 days a week, so I don't even get to think about heading out anywhere as much as I do just trying to catch up on stuff that needs done.

But at this point, with limited time and seeing how I believe the cheap foam that Suzuki used - that seemed fine with 2400 miles on it when I bought it last year - has broken down and is now only good for 50 miles or less now (at 8000 miles), I'm probably going to order a Seat Concepts package without having sat on one.

Know anyone who has a good air stapler down here?

Shoot me a PM some Friday or Saturday when you know you'll be available on a Sunday (otherwise, I have off every other Thursday), and I will ride down just to meet ya! buy ya a beer, and... to see that seat :-)
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Old 03-31-2013, 08:23 AM   #34
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Dang, dude... yeah, I meant to do that, but my current job has me working either 5 days a week with no consecutive days off, or 6 days a week, so I don't even get to think about heading out anywhere as much as I do just trying to catch up on stuff that needs done.

But at this point, with limited time and seeing how I believe the cheap foam that Suzuki used - that seemed fine with 2400 miles on it when I bought it last year - has broken down and is now only good for 50 miles or less now (at 8000 miles), I'm probably going to order a Seat Concepts package without having sat on one.

Know anyone who has a good air stapler down here?

Shoot me a PM some Friday or Saturday when you know you'll be available on a Sunday (otherwise, I have off every other Thursday), and I will ride down just to meet ya! buy ya a beer, and... to see that seat :-)
I don't know anyone with an air stapler and all the ones at Lowes, Home Depot etc were for like roofing staples. I used an electric with a solid board behind the edge of the seat. If I had to do it again I would get it the cover installed, you can get it from Procycle.....

Sorry we hijacked your thread!! >>>>>>>> oops!!
Old 03-31-2013, 10:17 AM   #35
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Quote:

Sorry we hijacked your thread!! >>>>>>>> oops!!
We didn't hi-jack no thread, yo!

If anyone brings up "Summer" in regard to the heat and humidity, we south Floridians are allowed chime in about anything. It's in the Constitution (somewhere).

Say... is the Seat Concepts kit cooler or hotter than the standard one in the summer?

Makes me wonder if S.C. has any white-ish seat cover material, lol.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Old 03-31-2013, 06:45 PM   #36
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,728
I have tested the Tourmaster mesh jacket at 45 mph in an unmarked construction zone. I got some nice tearing on my unprotected legs but though the jacket was torn in the shoulder an d various bits of sleeve I was unscratched. A thousand bucks later and two weeks wait and the bike was roadworthy again, though I did wobble it home 25 miles from the crash site.

Some days in summer I commute in shirt sleeves, September and October in the Keys can be still and hot and even mesh feels suffocating...

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:12 AM   #37
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchscooter View Post
Some days in summer I commute in shirt sleeves, September and October in the Keys can be still and hot and even mesh feels suffocating...
that ain't no lie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! even 5 minutes stopped with traffic is brutal!!!
Old 04-01-2013, 03:13 AM   #38
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
We didn't hi-jack no thread, yo!

If anyone brings up "Summer" in regard to the heat and humidity, we south Floridians are allowed chime in about anything. It's in the Constitution (somewhere).

Say... is the Seat Concepts kit cooler or hotter than the standard one in the summer?

Makes me wonder if S.C. has any white-ish seat cover material, lol.

ROFLMMAO!! Its black.....of course its hot!!!
Old 04-01-2013, 10:38 PM   #39
Flashdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Joe Rocket Trench coat. It's a Phoenix 5 that comes with a removable insulated vest, a waterproof trench coat, and waterproof overpants. I found it online about two months ago for $129 discounted from $259. I'm moving back to Florida in two weeks and I figure it's the perfect jacket to replace my 11 year old Phoenix. (the original) The build quality is excellent and the I love the fit.
Flashdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:55 AM   #40
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashdog View Post
Joe Rocket Trench coat. .
Very interesting.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Old 04-02-2013, 11:30 AM   #41
Vankaye OP
n00b on the move

Oddometer: 211
Quote:
Very interesting.
Great deal. Too bad it only comes in black. That would make the heat problem worse for me. Plus, during the heat of the day the radiating heat from the road blurs the image of the rider enough to make a rider dressed in black to be camouflaged into the color of the asphalt. Now that's invisible!!!!
Vankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:39 AM   #42
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankaye View Post
. Plus, during the heat of the day the radiating heat from the road blurs the image of the rider enough to make a rider dressed in black to be camouflaged into the color of the asphalt. Now that's invisible!!!!
Yet another interesting point. Who knew a summer jacket thread could be so informative?!

I love the trench-coat idea as that's really how motorcyclists used to dress decades ago. It's not that I'm in any way a trench-coat fan in as far as fasion, but in as far as wind, rain and dust protection - if I lived in a cooler climate (and rode something like a Harley) I'd seriously start looking into just what armored, possibly old-school leather, trench coat options existed for motorcyclists.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Old 04-02-2013, 02:30 PM   #43
Vankaye OP
n00b on the move

Oddometer: 211
Quote:
Yet another interesting point. Who knew a summer jacket thread could be so informative?!
The summer heat is almost here!!!

At this point I think I will spring for the Hi-Viz BMW jacket. I have a BMW leather jacket that I am super happy with. The JoeRocket Phoenix didn't hold up well for me, but it was a good jacket for the $150 I spent on it. I think the protection will be much higher with the BMW quality fabrics and the BMW pads.

I'm just ready for it.
Vankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:22 PM   #44
YJake
Roaming

Oddometer: 301
Vanson Vent Max 4. It's a very light silver color and air flows through it like you're wearing... nothing at all In fact it feels cooler than wearing just a t-shirt because it blocks the sun but breathes freely. I wear a Large but this jacket fits tight for a Large, which is fine because the pads stay in place very well without using the adjusters. It also has leather patches in the elbows/shoulders for extra abrasion protection.

The jacket is form fitting enough that I wear it under my Barbour International in the fall/winter for protection. (And I use this combo for light trail riding too)

It has served me through 2 FL summers in gridlock I-4 traffic so far and has another summer or two left in it

http://www.vansonleathers.com/prod-V...ries-615.aspx?

-Jake
Old 04-02-2013, 07:11 PM   #45
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJake View Post
Vanson Vent Max 4. It's a very light silver color and air flows through it like you're wearing... nothing at all In fact it feels cooler than wearing just a t-shirt because it blocks the sun but breathes freely. I wear a Large but this jacket fits tight for a Large, which is fine because the pads stay in place very well without using the adjusters. It also has leather patches in the elbows/shoulders for extra abrasion protection.

The jacket is form fitting enough that I wear it under my Barbour International in the fall/winter for protection. (And I use this combo for light trail riding too)

It has served me through 2 FL summers in gridlock I-4 traffic so far and has another summer or two left in it

http://www.vansonleathers.com/prod-V...ries-615.aspx?

-Jake
Finally - something even uglier than my Phoenix 5.0 jacket!
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR