Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2015, 10:46 AM   #1
Hx214 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
1995 WR250z Headlight Options

Hey guys,

New around here and newer to the sport. I picked up a 1995 WR250z the other day off of my old buddy craigslist. Paid to much for it and don't really care, love that two stroke smell.

I'm looking to add a headlight to her. When I google WR250z some of the pictures has what look to be a stock headlight but I don't think this model came with a headlight, so I am wondering what headlight that might be. Was that light made for this bike and sold as an add on? Did Yamaha make another bike around that era with that headlight?

I would like to buy a headlight that would pass inspection if I ever wanted to try to plate this bike. I think I should be able to do it in Ohio without to much trouble, but I don't want to buy a light that isn't for street use. Any recommendations? Anybody put a headlight on this bike that has any suggestion?
Hx214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 12:01 AM   #2
Rot Box
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
I think all WR 250's and 500 2T's came from the factory with a lighting coil although they did not come with a headlight. Only the WR200's had the headlight for whatever reason. If I'm not mistaken there should be a yellow wire coming from the stator side of the engine in the wire loom under the fuel tank. That is your power from the lighting coil.

As for the pic it kinda sorta looks like an older Acerbis style shell but it's hard to tell. A DOT legal headlight from Baja Designs, trail tech or Acerbis etc.. would work great for what you're doing.

Depending on the output of the coil you may need a rectifier to go from AC to DC voltage. Hopefully someone will chime in on that. You will need a voltage regulator and an on/off switch as well.

I've ran these street legal kits in the past with good results. In your case I'd have the bikes lighting coil power just the headlight and use the supplied battery pack to power the blinkers/brake/tail light/horn etc. (The battery lasts quite awhile between charging): https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...%20legal%20kit

Hope this helps. Those WR's are a lot of fun
Old 01-13-2015, 06:44 AM   #3
Hx214 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Appreciate it Rot Box,

After I looked around some more, it does seem like one of the aftermarket companies made a light that looked a lot like the one in the picture.

I will do some more reading and research what I need to pick up.

Thanks for the advice. I'll try to update this thread when I get everything hooked up.
Hx214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 11:59 AM   #4
JeffS77
cheap bastard

Oddometer: 3,372
The headlight is the pic looks a lot like an old acerbis to me ...pretty sure only the wr200 came from factory with a headlight. But your bike does have a lighting coil so you should able to use just about anything.

JeffS77 screwed with this post 01-13-2015 at 05:02 PM
JeffS77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 02:51 PM   #5
Baja Designs
Baja Designs

Oddometer: 616
HX214,

We do offer a few options for your '95 WR250z !

Our Lighting Kit, Enduro HL/TL/Niss-Blue works on 89-97 WR250 Two Stroke

Kit includes a Baja Designs headlight in blue, LED taillight, Nissin hydraulic brakeswitch, handlebar mounted high/low/off switch, voltage regulator, and custom plug-in wiring harness with incorporated taillight power leads.

http://www.bajadesigns.com/ProductDe...umber=310035BU

We also offer a more advanced Dual Sport Kit, EZ Mount Kit.

Kit includes a Quick Release style headlight assembly in white, LED taillight assembly, turn signals (front pre-mounted to headlight assembly) , High/Low/horn switch assembly, hydraulic and mechanical brake switch, license plate bracket, and an EZ mount Wiring Harness!
Detailed instructions included.

http://www.bajadesigns.com/ProductDe...umber=121300WT

Send me a message or give us a call 1-800-422-5292 ext. 114 and I'll be happy to assist you in finding the products you need!

Thank You,
Bailey , Baja Designs
Baja Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 02:55 PM   #6
Baja Designs
Baja Designs

Oddometer: 616
Note: The Stator output is 45w stock. This will get you to pass most state inspections w/ the bike off and lights on. If you plan on doing a lot of night riding we do offer a 70W stator rewind for $120.00. This will be optimal to keep your battery from running down and causing the light system to stop working.
Baja Designs is offline   Reply With Quote