Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 09:52 PM   #1
dirtynerd OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
BMW 2013 F700GS shopping advice

Hey y'all,

I just got my first bike - BMW 2013 F700GS - and am loving it, but it's harder to find stuff that works for it than I thought (apparently certain things made for the F800 or F650 models don't just also work for the new F700). I'm a small chick (5'2", 110lbs), which makes it more challenging to find stuff that works best for my size (lightweight, smaller/shorter, etc.).

I'm looking for a couple things:

1) High windscreen
2) Side bags

I've done tons of research and here's where I've netted out. Help?

F700 High Windscreen
- Options I've checked out - Touratech (reviews weren't impressive), BMW stock (BMW dealer service guy didn't recommend them - he said there were just a couple inches taller), Zteknik (not avail yet), Wunderlich (looked like the best option since they are adjustable, but they aren't avail yet)
Are there any other windscreens you suggest?

F700 Side Bags
- Options I've checked out - BMW (don't like side opening Vario bags, aluminum bags seem like a good option), Jesse's (sound like the most durable, but also $$$$...worth it?), Caribou (not a fan of side opening bags), Touratech (Zega Pros seem like a good option)
- Overall - I'm trying to decide between BMW's, Jesse's, and Touratech's. If I want something lightweight, durable (long x-country trips), and not super big (I travel light)...what would you suggest?

Thanks in advanced. This is all new to me
dirtynerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:32 AM   #2
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,712
Hi dirtynerd,

Congrats on the bike and welcome to Advrider! Be sure to check out the forum for the F-GS bikes:

http://advrider.com/forums/forumdisp...c&daysprune=-1

Sarah
Old 03-27-2013, 08:01 AM   #3
lakota
Geeser

Oddometer: 2,978
I got the BMW Adventure cases on my 700. Had them previously on my F800 and find them just what I want for trips. (I too am not a fan of side opening bags). Did not get a top case this time but will go with a duffle when I need more carrying capacity.
I bought the bike with the F800 touring screen, which so far works for me. Not sure how that would work at your height.
Enjoy the bike - I know I am enjoying mine
IBA #42016

my ride reports

follow my ride

lakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:49 AM   #4
sealsam
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,727
Welcome to ADV, and congratulations on the new bike. Just a couple of more sources...

http://www.happy-trail.com/default.aspx

http://www.amotostuff.com/
sealsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:01 AM   #5
syaufu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
bags

look at some of the soft bags..Giant Loop etc much lighter..easy to use..also won't break your ankle..lower leg as easily when you tip over..much cheaper also..have used the GL on many trips around the world and would not consider hard cases..bj
syaufu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:04 PM   #6
moe.ron
Mom says I'm special

Oddometer: 2,528
Cee Bailey has windshields. I have the sport shield on mine, at your height it would work really well. I love mine, its cheap and screws on in 5 minutes.

http://www.ceebaileys.com/bmw/bmw_f700gs_ws.html
Old 03-27-2013, 12:38 PM   #7
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,621
If you are touring, Jessie's can't be beat. They will outlast your bike. A little heavy for dirt, but you won't even notice them on gravel and forest road type stuff because they can be adjusted forward and low.
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:32 PM   #8
kuip
n00b

Oddometer: 3
shopping advice

Congratulations on your new F700GS

What about the Madstad windshield as an option.
They are not the prettiest but look to be very adjustable and workable.
As a bonus, they appear to have a 90 day return policy

Just a thought

Ken
kuip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:35 PM   #9
terraunbound
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuip View Post
Congratulations on your new F700GS

What about the Madstad windshield as an option.
They are not the prettiest but look to be very adjustable and workable.
As a bonus, they appear to have a 90 day return policy

Just a thought

Ken
Looks like a very nice windshield. However, it is my understanding that the bracket for the F700 is different than the F800 or F650... so all of these windshield manufacturers are needing to create a new bracket. (see thread on windshields and another thread on windshields)

terraunbound screwed with this post 03-27-2013 at 08:41 PM Reason: just being ... me
terraunbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:11 PM   #10
puckinet
Safety third

Oddometer: 346
BMW sells an adapter plate for the old style screens part number 77338531603

08 KTM 450 EXCR
2010 BMW F800GS
Rick
puckinet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:58 PM   #11
dirtynerd OP
n00b

Thx for the feedback so far!

All -

Thanks for all your advice! Definitely am loving the bike.

So far, I'm still not sure about the 'perfect' windscreen (if that exists), but WRT side bags, I'm now leaning towards the Jesse's (checked out an old thread on Jesse's v. BMW's and Jesse photos).

For my particular situation, I emailed some follow up questions to Jesse today. Maybe you already know these answers. If not and are curious, I'll follow up with their answers :)
  1. Compared to the BMW aluminum panniers, how much more narrow (width-wise) are the side bags? What are the capacities of each side bag?
  2. My bike has lowered suspension and a lowered seat to accommodate my height. Because of this, I'm worried that the side bags will fall lower to the ground than regular stock bikes. Should I be concerned and/or do you have luggage that work with lowered bikes?
  3. Is only one key needed for both side bags?
  4. From the pictures on http://www.jesseluggage.com/f650-800gs.html and the FAQ video page, it looks like you just have to lock it in the back (quick lock), but I also see hinges on the side (unlike BMW's). How does it open/close?
  5. The site also says, "Our lids are packable as well, with our life packer holding your gear inside safely." Can you elaborate? Not entirely sure what this means.
  6. How long would it take between order and delivery (Nashville, TN)?

Thx again for your help so far. When I figure out more about high windscreen options, I'll post more stuff.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:39 PM   #12
PatrickM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
I do like my soft bags (Ortliebs) as they're not only water proof, but light and come right off (when I want them to). When you accidentally scrape things, you don't feel bad because they're not going to leave a mark (lane splitting gone bad) nor get damaged/wrecked when you fall sideways. Plus they're cheap.

Questions: With the lowered suspension and seat (OMG, I saw one in San Jose and it was LOW) how are you liking it? What is your inseam? Can you flat foot and/or feel comfortable when working low speeds?
PatrickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:01 AM   #13
73datsun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
I'm in no way associated with Happy Trails. Nor have I used them.

But they do offer multiple sizes, widths and heights. And they also have demo pictures on an F700, so it can provide you with a bit of a frame of reference.

http://www.happy-trail.com/BMW-F650GS-F800GS-Twin.aspx
73datsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:28 AM   #14
lakota
Geeser

Oddometer: 2,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtynerd View Post
All -

1. Is only one key needed for both side bags?
  2. From the pictures on http://www.jesseluggage.com/f650-800gs.html and the FAQ video page, it looks like you just have to lock it in the back (quick lock), but I also see hinges on the side (unlike BMW's). How does it open/close?
  3. The site also says, "Our lids are packable as well, with our life packer holding your gear inside safely." Can you elaborate? Not entirely sure what this means.
1. One key will work for both Jesse bags. For the BMW bags the ignition key also locks the bag

2. the BMW bags open from back to front. The Jesse bags open from side to side,

3 The Jesse's have a wire mesh (for want of a better word) insert that fits in the lid and hold small items
IBA #42016

my ride reports

follow my ride

lakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:06 AM   #15
dirtynerd OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickM View Post
Questions: With the lowered suspension and seat (OMG, I saw one in San Jose and it was LOW) how are you liking it? What is your inseam? Can you flat foot and/or feel comfortable when working low speeds?
Hey PatrickM - Funny, I'm actually from San Jose, but my bike's in Nashville b/c I'm in the middle of an x-trip. With the lowered seat, inseam is 29" I think (I remember this being the only sub-30 option). Even with the lowered suspension/seat combo, I can't flat foot it. Both feet can at least touch the ground.

Maybe this pic will give you an idea re: height (remember, I'm 5'2"). I'll post a side one when I have it.