Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2013, 07:25 AM   #16
terraunbound
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtynerd View Post
Hey PatrickM - Funny, I'm actually from San Jose, but my bike's in Nashville b/c I'm in the middle of an x-trip. With the lowered seat, inseam is 29" I think (I remember this being the only sub-30 option). Even with the lowered suspension/seat combo, I can't flat foot it. Both feet can at least touch the ground.

Maybe this pic will give you an idea re: height (remember, I'm 5'2"). I'll post a side one when I have it.
You pic is listed as being private - I'd like to see what a lowered bike with lowered seat looks like!
terraunbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:22 AM   #17
dirtynerd OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by terraunbound View Post
You pic is listed as being private - I'd like to see what a lowered bike with lowered seat looks like!
Oops. Here you go. Hope it works this time. :)

F700GS pics - with lowered suspension & low seat (~29" inseam)
  1. Side view
  2. Rear view
  3. Misc view - on a tow truck
dirtynerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:16 AM   #18
jkbeaudin
n00b

Oddometer: 8
F700GS Shield & saddle Bags

Saw your pics - nice bike. I have the 700 and did get it with the BMW plastic bags - wish I didn't. Pulled them off when riding in dirt because I feel I will ruin them forever if/when I fall down! Now I am looking for soft bags which will at least cushion the fall. I like the wolfman luggage. Already got their tank bag and it fits just fine on the 700.

For Windshield I have the Cee Baileys. They have made a new knee brace bracket that fits perfectly for the 700 windshield that they have now in several sizes. I am 6 ft and have the 22" high shield. they have an 18" high that would be great for you. Neither my handlebars nor mirrors come in contact with this new windshield. Cee Baileys is great!

Hope these ideas help.
jkbeaudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:49 AM   #19
BELSTAFF
ADV NOMAD

Oddometer: 1,090
Some help maybe

First
Jesse bags unbeatable for touring the tarmac,& unnoticed on FR & groomed dirt trac(county rds & bi-ways) besides they make the F-series bike look soooo tough

Now, wind screen, check out Britannia Composite Fairings (out of Canada) has an adjustable wind screen & fairing combined & they are world class plus look Killer on the F-series bikes

Ck out the ride here on adv w/the two gals that took 2 Triumph 800s to Alaska,They used Jesse luggage for the trip & when they got back bought 2 new BMWS & installed Jesses first thing---Sophe will give you the straight skinnie on them from the female point of view

Arizona OHV Ambassador
BELSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:46 PM   #20
dirtynerd OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbeaudin View Post
I like the wolfman luggage. Already got their tank bag and it fits just fine on the 700.
jkbeaudin - Would you have a pic of the Wolfman tank bag on your bike? Also looking for one that isn't too small (currently have Cortech's Micro tank bag - only okay for a few things) or too big (tried BMW's standard tank bag for the F700...massive IMHO).
Old 03-30-2013, 08:30 PM   #21
terraunbound
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELSTAFF View Post
First
Jesse bags unbeatable for touring the tarmac,& unnoticed on FR & groomed dirt trac(county rds & bi-ways) besides they make the F-series bike look soooo tough

Now, wind screen, check out Britannia Composite Fairings (out of Canada) has an adjustable wind screen & fairing combined & they are world class plus look Killer on the F-series bikes

Ck out the ride here on adv w/the two gals that took 2 Triumph 800s to Alaska,They used Jesse luggage for the trip & when they got back bought 2 new BMWS & installed Jesses first thing---Sophe will give you the straight skinnie on them from the female point of view
As much as the Brit wind screen is nice... $500 is a bit rich --- unless I miscalculated $495 + price of bracket...

The Jesse cases are nice and durable. For weight savings, the dry bags are really good too

terraunbound screwed with this post 03-30-2013 at 08:31 PM Reason: oops
Old 03-30-2013, 10:09 PM   #22
BELSTAFF
ADV NOMAD

Get what you pay for

The TT high shield is $221.70, Wunderlich shield at $255.00 Add a lip deflector another $129.00 & The TT Desierto3 is a whopping $804.00 all purchased from brand name big companies once you've spent the big bucks is there any support after the sale?

Ian has a customer system that in some cases he has honored years after the sale. I'll spend my money w/ fellow Adv Rider & know there is service after the sale.

Arizona OHV Ambassador
Old 03-30-2013, 11:29 PM   #23
PatrickM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtynerd View Post
Hey PatrickM - Funny, I'm actually from San Jose, but my bike's in Nashville b/c I'm in the middle of an x-trip. With the lowered seat, inseam is 29" I think (I remember this being the only sub-30 option). Even with the lowered suspension/seat combo, I can't flat foot it. Both feet can at least touch the ground.

Maybe this pic will give you an idea re: height (remember, I'm 5'2"). I'll post a side one when I have it.
Haha, awesome!

Thanks for the pictures, the first was great, but the rest just look like the regular bike.

When I was at SJ BMW, that bike looked SMALL, too small to be a F700 so I even went in and incredulously asked and got the answer.

I have short friends who don't have riders permit and would like to pick your brain if you don't mind?

Being 5'2", were there any other options you looked at? How is the confidence when stopped at the lights? Does the bike feel good (ergos, handlebar distance when on the highway, peg distance, seat comfort, etc)?

I'm of the mind that if you're putting the highway miles on (x-trip being a great example) you'd want a 600cc or larger. But all of the shorter bikes (stock, not custom for other readers) seem to be smaller dispacement engines.

Have you dropped it yet? The tow truck and dirt... How did it feel to try and right?

And saw the CA plates, I'm supposing you're going "the long way around", so how is the journey? San Jose is a favorite stop of mine (work, family and friends!)
PatrickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:02 AM   #24
terraunbound
Gnarly Adventurer

BELSTAFF: Hearing that Britannia Composites are from an inmate is a +1 for me - thanks for that info. The Mirage2 does not specific state whether it will fit the F700 so I'll drop them a line!

PatrickM: Yesterday I had a chance to sit on the factory lowered F700 (with perhaps the low seat). With about a 30-inch inseam and thick-soled Red wing boots, my knees were slightly bent when sitting on the bike. (wow - that has never happened to me before!). On the regular sized F700, with the regular seat, I'm on tippy toes; with the low seat, I can touch with the balls of me feet.

There are lots of options in shorter bikes if one wants to stay on paved roads; take a look at The Shortypants Thread - lots of fantastic info for us inseam challenged DS riders.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:30 AM   #25
slowpoke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
How about Happy Trails if you're set on hard cases.
http://www.happy-trail.com/BMW-F650GS-F800GS-Twin.aspx
I don't have Happy Trails, but my friend does and he loves how they are thinner than most panniers out there but still able to haul a good amount of stuff.

You think about soft bags?
http://wolfmanluggage.com/index.cfm?

slowpoke screwed with this post 03-31-2013 at 09:37 AM
slowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:37 AM   #26
puckinet
Safety third

Oddometer: 346
Congrats on the bike you will love it. My option on bags are, the Jessie bags are a good bag but I don't care for the look of the bag just hangs too low for me. I have the BMW adventure bags fits the bike nice and is higher, keyed to the bike for me was huge. My other choice would be the hepco solid bag. Wind screen Cee Bailey is really nice have one on my girlfriends bike but is most likely coming off. It's a nice looking screen but with hand guards on they hit and the screen is sloped back too far. I think she will be going with the touratech. Good luck on picking stuff a lot of choices out the.

08 KTM 450 EXCR
2010 BMW F800GS
Rick
puckinet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:12 AM   #27
slowpoke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=415604
slowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:40 AM   #28
dirtynerd OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELSTAFF View Post
Ian has a customer system that in some cases he has honored years after the sale. I'll spend my money w/ fellow Adv Rider & know there is service after the sale.
BELSTAFF - Sorry if I'm already confusing posts. Are you recommending a fellow ADV rider for the windscreen or side bags?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickM View Post
Being 5'2", were there any other options you looked at? How is the confidence when stopped at the lights? Does the bike feel good (ergos, handlebar distance when on the highway, peg distance, seat comfort, etc)?

I'm of the mind that if you're putting the highway miles on (x-trip being a great example) you'd want a 600cc or larger. But all of the shorter bikes (stock, not custom for other readers) seem to be smaller dispacement engines.

Have you dropped it yet? The tow truck and dirt... How did it feel to try and right?

And saw the CA plates, I'm supposing you're going "the long way around", so how is the journey? San Jose is a favorite stop of mine (work, family and friends!)
PatrickM - Being that I was going for a dual sport bike, with lowered options, I didn't really have many options to choose from :) I would have loved the F800GS, but lowering it wasn't a (recommended) option. ABS and roadside assistance (really good from my experience) comes standard with BMW bikes, so those were also reassuring points. Comfort/ergonomics - I haven't had much riding experience relatively, but the bike has felt great so far on the trip. i got Rox Risers so that I don't have to try to reach as far and it's definitely made a difference. They're pretty easy to adjust too if needed. Seatwise, the stock seat is okay for now, but I feel like there could be more comfy/plush options. That'll be a later upgrade.

And yes, I've dropped it tons of times as a noob (no deathly emergencies yet), and it's held up great. I'm adding Alt Rider's upper crash bars for the next part of the trip for extra safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
How about Happy Trails if you're set on hard cases......You think about soft bags?
http://wolfmanluggage.com/index.cfm?
SLOWPOKE - I have thought of soft bags, but now that I use a Wolfman as a tailbag, I realized I like having easier access to stuff. Hard bags are a nice solution...plus they do look much more bad ass in my opinion. I haven't checked out the Happy Trails yet...will do some more research. And thanks for that thread! I appreciate organization :)
Old 04-01-2013, 11:33 AM   #29
BELSTAFF
ADV NOMAD

Dirtynerd:
Both actually, Al Jesse is a veteran RTW rider having ridden Africa back when it was safe to do so. AL is also a friend and neighbor, I live less than a hour from his shop. Al will go the extra mile with you to make sure things are right and that you are satisfied w/ your gear

I follow Ians thread in the vendor section of ADV Rider----Britannia Composite--- & his responses to his customers leads me to believe that he too is an honest purveyor of adv equipment to the moto public just as much so as another Canadian group that you will want to check out when you put on your skid plate and luggage rack That being Overland Moto Development

I have talked to, dealt with and purchased products from all of the above and am completely happy w/ the equipment I purchased from all them.

I would, however, suggest that you NOT take my word , but do your own homework and ck out these or any future purchases, call talk to them, Email them, get a "feel" from them, you will know. Like talking to Kurt & Martha at Black Dog Cycle Works, the enthusiasm for the sport & products they sell just jumps out at you, you just know that they will stand behind the products they sell because they use them themselves

There are really good people on here so get busy "farkling" that ride & if I can be of any help PM me as I too have the same bike

Jeff

Arizona OHV Ambassador
Old 04-07-2013, 05:26 PM   #30
LoffKat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
i'm about the same height as you

I just got a F700GS as well. i'm 5'3" and 125 lbs. I have a 29" inseam as well. I bought the standard suspension with ESA and a low seat and am comfortable on it. I got my windscreen from Cee Baileys and the Zega Pro panniers in bare aluminum (cheapest at 1199). LOVE the bike! so excited there is finally dual purpose bike for shorties! about time BMW!!!! now everyone needs to work on adventure clothing for women.
LoffKat is offline   Reply With Quote