User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 03:09 AM   #1
yorgo OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
K1200GT will it explode?

About the pull the trigger on a used 2008 K1200GT. Have been mulling it over for days now. Went to see it yesterday, it's a private seller. It is in perfect, conditions in my unexperienced opinion. I mean I sort of know what to look for. Have been riding and wrenching for 30 years but this will/may be my first BMW.

Problem is I currently have a 2010 HD UC I love and I hate depending on the day of the week. I can't afford to keep both so I will have to go eventually. I'm more of a sport touring guy but have, over the last 2 years gotten used to the fat harley.

So, I'm just thinking out loud here. 2008 K1200GT super clean bike, 40,000 miles, "no FD drain hole model" doesn't mean anything. PO took care of it even though he can't produce service records, will take $9,000. Resale is about $11K. I dont' know if I should get it or not.

Ok get the K, which will drop my savings account balance in half. Sell the HD and get that money back and then some. Still, what if K bike's FD fails, what if cam chain tensioner comes apart.... if it's lasted 40,000 miles and looks this good it must be reliable right?
yorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:02 AM   #2
HotChilliColdBeer
Human Swizzle Stick

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by yorgo View Post
.... if it's lasted 40,000 miles and looks this good it must be reliable right?

Either that, or it's about to explode.....

Charlie
HotChilliColdBeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:21 AM   #3
ramon
weezin' the juice!

Oddometer: 1,095
Just buy the thing and ride it. Every bike has internet troll issues, trying to convince readers that said bike sucks. If BMW's failed as much as internet hype had you to believe, they would have been out of business years ago! The KGT has been a proven reliable platform for years. No bike is perfect, but if you are going to constantly worry about it to the point of not enjoying the ride, perhaps you should look elsewhere. I have been riding BMW's for many years and many thousands of miles. Some have been fabulous and others have been questionable, but none have ever left me stranded.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:45 AM   #4
yorgo OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramon View Post
Just buy the thing and ride it. Every bike has internet troll issues, trying to convince readers that said bike sucks. If BMW's failed as much as internet hype had you to believe, they would have been out of business years ago! The KGT has been a proven reliable platform for years. No bike is perfect, but if you are going to constantly worry about it to the point of not enjoying the ride, perhaps you should look elsewhere. I have been riding BMW's for many years and many thousands of miles. Some have been fabulous and others have been questionable, but none have ever left me stranded.
Good points. Like they say you only hear about the bad experiences on the internet.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:52 AM   #5
tundra61
I wish I had a title

Oddometer: 994
I had a k1200gt and it was a great bike. I wouldn't worry about it having any problems past those that any bike COULD have.

So, feel good about the bike - but I do think the price is a tiny bit high. Maybe it's splitting hairs but I think the price should be closer to 8k.

I love those bikes so have been keeping an eye on prices for a long time, and anybody selling an 08 w/40k miles for $11k will have the bike for a long time unless they come across a very willing buyer.
tundra61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:08 AM   #6
Disco Stu
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

Oddometer: 5,250
buy it.
Disco Stu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:22 AM   #7
yorgo OP
Adventurer

Doesn't help that I'm leaving this weekend on a 2200 mile round trip ride. The pressure is on. Gotta stop thinking so far into the future. Sure would make an excellent test drive though. Heated grips, heated seat, adjustable windscreen. I wonder how the wind protection compares with a Ultra Classic Electra Glide.

If only I had won that damn powerball this would not be an issue for me.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:28 AM   #8
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,855
FWIW, I have been looking at this bike on the Washington, DC Craigslist:

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/d...698698879.html

It is not the bike for me but seems like a good deal if the location is right for you.

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:30 AM   #9
elementalg20
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Sounds like you need to buy it and take that 2200 mile trip. You'll know when you get back which one will be going up for sale.

Gone...1998 Triumph Trophy 1200 2000 KTM Adventure 640, 1994 BMW R1100RS, 2002 BMW K1200RS,1999 VFR800, 1996 VFR750, 1985 Maxim X, 198x 250LTD
elementalg20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:17 AM   #10
yorgo OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riteris View Post
FWIW, I have been looking at this bike on the Washington, DC Craigslist:

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/d...698698879.html

It is not the bike for me but seems like a good deal if the location is right for you.
Holy hell it's the same bike, except the shark graphics (+30K miles)
Old 03-27-2013, 09:50 AM   #11
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,691
Isn't that the one they forgot to tighten all the rod bolts on? Definitely would go in and torque those to spec.
larryboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:39 PM   #12
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,613
Of course I have to be different. If you love the Harley, I would keep it. Harleys have some issues just like any other bike, but they are well known. The only issue I know about with a 2010 is the cam chain and tensioner, but if checked/replaced once in a while, it should last well past 100,000 miles.

I admit I am a cruiser rider, and therefore biased toward the Harley. I have no personal experience with BMW, but I have heard a lot of horror stories about them, way more than most other bikes. The "way more than most other bikes" means something to me. You just don't here of so many problems with Harleys or Japanese bikes.

I suspect (but don't actually know) that someone's loyalty to BMW is based on the brand, just like Harley, not the reliability. If you want max reliability, go Japanese. You hardly ever hear of Japanese bikes exploding.

I don't know what the cost of a FD failure is on a BMW, but have heard it is insanely expensive.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:20 PM   #13
yorgo OP
Adventurer

Don't get me wrong I know I will absolutely love the GT but my problem is that I cannot keep both bikes due to lack of room in the garage and in my bank account.

The Harley has its issues as well of course. Just like anything mechanical something will get worn out and need replacing. The comfort with this bike is that it's pretty much known that the cam chain tensioner will need replacing between a specific time. The drive belt won't last forever either. Fork seals, brake pads, oil and tires. Not much else. Unless abused there are no $4000 parts that can suddenly fail. The BMW, as much as I would love one, just seems a bit too unpredictable to me.

Reliability and being able to DYI fix to get it back on the road quickly and cheaply is important to me since I hit 100,000 miles every 4 to 5 years.

I'll wait and watch a bit longer before I make any decisions I may regret later.

yorgo screwed with this post 03-27-2013 at 04:32 PM
Old 03-27-2013, 05:52 PM   #14
roadstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 362
I myself own a BMW (R1200RT) & it is always in the back of my mind of all the problems others have had in the same & different BMW models. Poor dealer network & terrible customer service & service prices (wow lookout). I traded in a super reliable 07 Yamaha FJR for the RT & yes somedays i kick myself in the ass for doing so. I have gone from cruisers to sport tourers & havn`t looked back , but remember the K1200GT is a SPORT tourer , as the FJR & ST1300 are more sport TOURERS. I would start reading here on such models http://www.i-bmw.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35 & good luck if you do buy.
roadstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:58 AM   #15
yorgo OP
Adventurer

Still can't get that GT out of my mind. I am more of a sport-tour guy as well. I'm not a cruiser guy, never really was, never cared for cruisers and grew up telling myself I would never own a POS Harley.

History - 82 Interceptor 750, 90 GSXR1100, 91 ZX11C, 84, FJ1100, ... started having kids, wife said no more sport bikes you are too crazy on them... so.., Intruder 800, HD VRod, 04 Sportster, HD FXD superglide, KLX250S, 97 ZX11D, Kan-o-tuna 600, HD Ultra Classic.

I always kept at least 2 bikes at one time in the garage. Last 10 years its always been a combination of my daily commuter + a Cruiser. My last commmuting bike was the ZX11D, fantastic machine. Comfortable, fast, fair mpg, fast, fun, fast, awesome, loved it. The Ultra classic sat next to it waiting for its twice a year ride to North Carolina. Thats it.

Loooong story short - Had to sell the ZX (with Givi luggage) due to a crises with my 17 year old. Had to get him something he called his own and learn to ride on. Sold ZX and got him a Katana 600, great move b/c it literally saved my kids life.

Now, my commute is on the huge fat twice a year ridden harley. I'm ok with that and I do like certain things about it but truly miss the sporty position, handling, power, flickability of a sport-/sport-touring bike. This recent GT caught my eye, checked it out and just about fell in love with it. And so my reasoning kicked in about reliability and all the BS going through my head.

Ok sorry for the long boring script. Feel better now that I'm putting it out there, maybe I'll be better understood. The seller of the GT won't hold the bike but tells me if it has not sold when I return from my road trip next week we can sit and negotiate some more.