User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 06:28 AM   #16
HotChilliColdBeer
Human Swizzle Stick

Oddometer: 289
My thoughts (apart from the crack about it was gonna explode);

After weeks of mental debate and research, I bought a RT knowing all the 'horror stories'. I only wish I had done it sooner and avoided all the anguish of the research and mental debate.

And, I've had zero problems with the BMW that some seem to think will puke parts at random.

Charlie
HotChilliColdBeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:07 AM   #17
yorgo OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChilliColdBeer View Post
My thoughts (apart from the crack about it was gonna explode);

After weeks of mental debate and research, I bought a RT knowing all the 'horror stories'. I only wish I had done it sooner and avoided all the anguish of the research and mental debate.

And, I've had zero problems with the BMW that some seem to think will puke parts at random.

Charlie
The RT was the bike I was originally looking for. I test drove a 2011 one saturday morning when the local BMW dealer was having their weekend cookout. Sales guy noticed my interest in the RT and offered a test drive.

I freakin fell in love with that bike. Not at all what I thought it would feel like. A bit tall for me but that can be fixed, way more powerful then I ever thought an aircooled twin could be, smooth as glass while moving, and very solid around turns.

Ever since then I've been on the lookout for an RT. That's when I happened to see the GT this guy had for sale. Turns out it's very similar to the RT but adds 50 more horses, is watercooled, and a bit heavier. Yesterday I stopped by the BMW dealer to get their techs opinion on the GT. The sales manager knows me and walked up and says "hey man, i finally traded my 2008 RT in for a new R. It's there if you want it" It's an 08 RT, 16K miles, he's taken great care of it, is blue, has the factory lowered suspension, etc.. perfect, yes, the perfect BMW for me as far as I know. They're asking $12999 I think so I may head over there when I get back from my trip next week.

My real problem is that I want 20 different bikes but also want to keep the HD.
yorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:20 AM   #18
Disco Stu
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

Oddometer: 5,346
I've had bmw's, never had a single rear-diff problem. The only problem I've had on any of them are a leaking clutch slave cylinder on an 1150GS and I just had to replace the o-ring and rear main seal on my '02 K1200RS. We've got 4 other bikes in the garage that I commute on, but I was really missing the K bike and have ridden it that last 4 days after doing the rebuild myself. The smooth linear power is intoxicating.

I've been to 37 states on my GS and I love it, but I'll probably take the K bike on my next couple of multi-state trips.
Disco Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:57 AM   #19
ezrdr55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
The transmission on my '07 GT shifted so bad I had to get rid of it. My '95 Wide Glide shifts way better. I took it back to the dealer and of course I got the old "they all do that". Some owners compensate by putting a little pressure on the shift lever before pulling in the clutch. This helps some but for the $$$$$ the damn thing should shift itself.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:29 AM   #20
cycleman2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 521
Sounds to me that you are letting the price of the K bike influence you. The big thing with any BMW bike is that they are fairly maintenance intense and certain things have to be done or you will have issues.

Having owned R bikes, they are simpler to work on and my choice would be the RT over the K bike. You can do most if not all the maintenance yourself on an R bike.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:42 AM   #21
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 636
Buy a FJR 1300 or a Honda ST.. problem solved.
Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:45 AM   #22
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 33,398
BMW did a lot of Lemon Law buybacks on the GT due drivability issues. I know a guy who had two bought back before he bought an FJR. There is also the

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:51 AM   #23
Disco Stu
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleman2 View Post
Sounds to me that you are letting the price of the K bike influence you. The big thing with any BMW bike is that they are fairly maintenance intense and certain things have to be done or you will have issues.

Having owned R bikes, they are simpler to work on and my choice would be the RT over the K bike. You can do most if not all the maintenance yourself on an R bike.
the R bike is easier to work on. In R bikes I've had: R90/6, R100S, R1100R, R1150R, R1150RT and a couple of R1150GS's. But for sportiness and fun, I'd say there's no comparison between the R1150RT I had and the K1200RS I currently had. The RT was like sitting in a car with no doors, the K bike is like a rocket-propelled escape-pod. IMO, the 1150RT had just as much tupperware in the way as the K-bike does.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:59 AM   #24
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnich77 View Post
Buy a FJR 1300 or a Honda ST.. problem solved.
There's an 09 FJR for sale on the FJR forum with 5000 miles or so being sold as the owner has serious health issues, and asking about the same price as the K-GT..

The K1200GT had some serious mechanical issues... I know a local guy who had one and traded it in just before the warranty ran out cuz he couldn't afford to keep fixing it on his own dime.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:48 AM   #25
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
There's an 09 FJR for sale on the FJR forum with 5000 miles or so being sold as the owner has serious health issues, and asking about the same price as the K-GT..

The K1200GT had some serious mechanical issues... I know a local guy who had one and traded it in just before the warranty ran out cuz he couldn't afford to keep fixing it on his own dime.

My sister did the exact same thing with her BMW 330ci...lol. Seems to me that BMW can build a magnificent motor that will run forever, and create all kinds of useful farkle... but the always seem to screw something else up... or so I have noticed over the years. But, I am also a Honda loyalist and have NEVER had a serious mechanical problem(not bad for 25 years on two wheels and a motor)
Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:48 PM   #26
HotChilliColdBeer
Human Swizzle Stick

Oddometer: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by yorgo View Post
My real problem is that I want 20 different bikes but also want to keep the HD.
Motorcycle lust - That's not really a problem. I mean, like hookers and blow can be a problem......

Charlie
HotChilliColdBeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:10 AM   #27
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
If I wanted a sport tourer, I would definitely go with a Japanese bike. Their reliability and quality is a given, their parts are less expensive, and while I dislike all dealers, if you do need service I would rather deal with a Japanese dealer than a BMW dealer.

Of all the different brands of bikes out there, the one I would avoid due to quality and reliability problems is BMW. And I have never even ridden one. But horror stories abound, way more of them than with other brands. And they are more expensive to buy, maintain, and repair. From everything I have heard, from many different sources, modern BMWs ride and feel much like Japanese bikes.

I can understand the attraction of a Ducati (though I can't ride one) and a Harley, even though they do have issues most Japanese bikes don't have, But I just don't get the thing about newer BMWs. It seems they are simply more expensive, harder to maintain, less reliable versions of Japanese bikes.

Bikes from different countries, and different cultures, like Italian, German, Japanese, and American, all have their own distinct flavors. It just seems BMWs come a lot closer to Japanese bikes than other brands. I know for a fact that is the case with Mercedes. I cannot tell a Mercedes from a Toyota Camry, in either looks or feel.

And yes I know this is mostly a BMW site, but I still don't get it.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:31 AM   #28
Disco Stu
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
If I wanted a sport tourer, I would definitely go with a Japanese bike. Their reliability and quality is a given, their parts are less expensive, and while I dislike all dealers, if you do need service I would rather deal with a Japanese dealer than a BMW dealer.

Of all the different brands of bikes out there, the one I would avoid due to quality and reliability problems is BMW. And I have never even ridden one. But horror stories abound, way more of them than with other brands. And they are more expensive to buy, maintain, and repair. From everything I have heard, from many different sources, modern BMWs ride and feel much like Japanese bikes.

I can understand the attraction of a Ducati (though I can't ride one) and a Harley, even though they do have issues most Japanese bikes don't have, But I just don't get the thing about newer BMWs. It seems they are simply more expensive, harder to maintain, less reliable versions of Japanese bikes.

Bikes from different countries, and different cultures, like Italian, German, Japanese, and American, all have their own distinct flavors. It just seems BMWs come a lot closer to Japanese bikes than other brands. I know for a fact that is the case with Mercedes. I cannot tell a Mercedes from a Toyota Camry, in either looks or feel.

And yes I know this is mostly a BMW site, but I still don't get it.
Maybe try riding one?
Old 03-29-2013, 08:03 AM   #29
yorgo OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Stu View Post
Maybe try riding one?
Absolutely, take one for a test ride. You'll quickly realize you want one badly. This is the problem I'm having. Jap bikes are perfectly fine and very reliable. I could just get an ST1300, Connie 14, or FJR but .....boring and not the same.

ST1300 feels like a Honda accord
FJR is like driving a Dodge Journey
Concours 14 would be like a really fast Dodge Journy.

Just going by experience here

RT to me feels like a Mercedes S class
GT like a Masaratti - Quattroport
GS - haven't done a test ride but I'm sure it's like a Range Rover.

The BMW motorcycles just have this very additive ride quality. It's really like once you try one all others are junk. I just don't care for having to spend $4000 for an out of warranty FD or $10,000 if the engine blows. It's very similar to Range Rovers. I had a RR sport and loved the way the thing drove. Nothing compared to the quality, build, looks, overall feel of the machine. Problem was it was constantly in the shop with MAJOR repairs. Thankfully all under warranty. Traded it for a VW before the warranty expired.
yorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:06 AM   #30
Haroon
RIDE for PASSION

Oddometer: 544
Been a long time BMW R1100/1200 boxer owner and love the BMWs for their comfort & handling. For past 1 year have been looking at adding an I-4 sport tourer and while the K1300GT has been on my radar, the C14/GTR1400 and FJR are a close second. Although the only BMW dealer is about 1000kms away, I was still tilting to the K bike. But this morning on a ride out with a buddy who last week got his K1300S back from the BMW dealer after 'routine 10K km maintenance', two of the idiot lights (brake light & engine warning light) have started blinking on the dash. The bike starts, runs and brakes fine, and we 'could suspect' its a small issue since it has just been thru a full service. But with a dealer 1000kms away he is definitely not at peace to ride it comfortably till those lights stop blinking. Besides, he just spent a good amount on 2-way shipping of bike and may have to do it again, which is in addition to the specially blessed BMW service charges he already paid without getting into the discussion if the dealer screwed up or not.

Notwithstanding my continued love for BMWs in the riding/handling dept, I guess I will prudently stay with C14 or FJR which has a good dealer support closer to my home.

Exploring the world on 2-wheels...little at a time
RIDE for PASSION

www.rideforpassion.com

Haroon screwed with this post 03-29-2013 at 08:21 AM
Haroon is offline   Reply With Quote