Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2013, 07:24 PM   #46
yorgo OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetpilot5 View Post
Ultimately, I think this is the best advice in the whole thread. You can argue back and forth whether they're reliable or worth the risk/money but in the end bikes aren't usually rational purchases. I research motorcycle purchases to death before I buy and I've had many Japanese bikes and now two BMW's. In all cases, the bikes I liked the best, owned the longest, and put the most miles on were the ones that pushed the right buttons.
That's the truth. I kept an old sportster longer then I probably should. Loved the simplicity of the bike, the feel, the look, etc... loved it. I do all wrenching myself, including tire mounting, fork seals, clutch packs, etc.. whatever it takes to get it back on the road. BTW the K1200GT is still for sale. Now that I'm back from my ride to OBX I'm going to contact the seller again. I know if I go see the damn thing again I will end up getting it.
yorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:52 AM   #47
Crabenho
NOOBish

Oddometer: 603
I'm posting because I'm tired of guys that have never owned or even ridden a BMW forming opinions based on failure posts. My guess is that most major failures wind up vented into an Internet post while the guys (like me) who are perfectly happy and logging tons of miles aren't as likely to post. I racked up 53,000 miles on my BMW touring North America and never had a single problem. Oil changes, valve adjustments and tons of smiles. My BMW experience was fantastic. I got an itch for something different and went to a Honda which I loved for different reasons. Now I'm considering trying another BMW for a while.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:46 AM   #48
roadstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 362
Laugh

What I have said was from years of talking to BMW mechanics. My K1100LT has 75, 000 almost trouble free miles , & the RT has 16, 000 trouble free miles. LT is so much fun to ride that's the reason for low miles on the RT.
roadstar is offline   Reply With Quote