Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 07:47 AM   #46
TuefelHunden
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagesk View Post
Ladies and Gentlemen,
Thus, we, here in the Mother of all Oil Threads, need to figure out what the Official GSpot FAQ Recommandation should be.

Now, I am not very interested in what you personally think is the best oil. Or if Redline worked well in you '74 Commando, but rather what BMW requires for the '10 camhead and the new wethead.

you will notice that a particular producer is "suggested". If you know anything at all about oil, you will carefully refrain from dragging the producer into this. We want to advice our fellow travelers on the requirements, not some local producer.

[TaSK]
Look at the last few posts. We are getting right into the middle of specific brands.
BMW RECOMMENDS and does NOT REQUIRE!
So we put our recommendation into a sticky topic like we were given direct access to God about which oil to pick????
Old 04-02-2013, 09:13 AM   #47
Racegun
Single Track Mind!

Oddometer: 2,458
Laugh if you know of better, produce evidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
Cause they sell it at PepBoys, right?

Not interested in Spectro, Royal Purple, and various boutique oils. Bigger is better when it comes to engineering staffs.
Kent have you researched RP?
Pepboys, I never have nor will i ever step foot there. I as a tribologist, and after spending many hours at university studing same, simply wanted to share what I KNOW is better than any ICE lube. Say what you want, be condescending if you must thats is all fine. For the few who look into RP, they will find what took me years of skepticism to over come ( i used to work for mobil and sold Mobil 1). All lubricants are made opposite the way way RP is made.

If you have done years of research and know something I do not........ lets hear it. After all this is the place to discuss such things. I personally could care less what ICE lube people use. I only wanted to shine a light on a dark and secretive subject. Thank you for your comment
Racegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:31 AM   #48
lkchris
Albuquerque

Oddometer: 956
And for yours--learned some things.
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:41 AM   #49
billdonna
Ex Coelis

Oddometer: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racegun View Post
Kent have you researched RP?
Pepboys, I never have nor will i ever step foot there. I as a tribologist, and after spending many hours at university studing same, simply wanted to share what I KNOW is better than any ICE lube. Say what you want, be condescending if you must thats is all fine. For the few who look into RP, they will find what took me years of skepticism to over come ( i used to work for mobil and sold Mobil 1). All lubricants are made opposite the way way RP is made.

If you have done years of research and know something I do not........ lets hear it. After all this is the place to discuss such things. I personally could care less what ICE lube people use. I only wanted to shine a light on a dark and secretive subject. Thank you for your comment
Splendid insight into biker ritual behaviour and pack purchasing mentality. Well done sir!

That anthropology/tribalist degree was money well spent! Even landed you a gig selling oil too I see. Pray tell, when you worked for Mobil selling oil, was it at the gas station at 5th and Main?
Old 04-03-2013, 05:53 PM   #50
justinallen03
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
I studied tribology as well in my grad work. Pretty interesting subject that really never gets touched in much undergrad mechanical engineering work.

Admittedly, the lubrication classes I took and research I was involved in was related to turbomachinery, so I don't know everything about auto applications. I know the manufacturing process for royal purple is different than most other synthetic oils, but I am interested to know why it is better (other than, what I believe, is that it doesn't involve the use of fossil fuels to create).

justinallen03 screwed with this post 04-03-2013 at 05:58 PM
justinallen03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:27 PM   #51
Gun Smoke
Banned

Oddometer: 312
My 08 GS gets walmart brand 10-40 every 25 or 30 thousand miles just like the 1150 did. Both bikes have run flawlessly. I imagine I'll do the same with the LC exchanging for 5-40. My 1150 had the valves adjust once in the 80+ thousand miles I owned it. Neither bikes have ever seen the inside of a BMW service center.

My point. You guys worry too damn much. If it blows up buy another. You'd have a hard damn time blowing one up though imo.
Gun Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:30 PM   #52
cjack
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun Smoke View Post
My 08 GS gets walmart brand 10-40 every 25 or 30 thousand miles just like the 1150 did. Both bikes have run flawlessly. I imagine I'll do the same with the LC exchanging for 5-40. My 1150 had the valves adjust once in the 80+ thousand miles I owned it. Neither bikes have ever seen the inside of a BMW service center.

My point. You guys worry too damn much. If it blows up buy another. You'd have a hard damn time blowing one up though imo.
Well, I think it is true that most bikes die of built in QC issues which have nothing to do with what/how/when kind of oil you use in them. I think 25K intervals is a bit too long though :)
RA & MOA #224
cjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:36 PM   #53
Gun Smoke
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjack View Post
Well, I think it is true that most bikes die of built in QC issues which have nothing to do with what/how/when kind of oil you use in them. I think 25K intervals is a bit too long though :)
I've got a john deere lawn mower I've used nine years that's never had an oil change. I check the level maybe once a year.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:55 PM   #54
Racegun
Single Track Mind!

Oddometer: 2,458
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdonna View Post
Splendid insight into biker ritual behaviour and pack purchasing mentality. Well done sir!

That anthropology/tribalist degree was money well spent! Even landed you a gig selling oil too I see. Pray tell, when you worked for Mobil selling oil, was it at the gas station at 5th and Main?
OH! Wise guy hey.....whoooop whooop NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

It was out of the back of my broke back mountain covered wagon...you silly boy
Racegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:48 AM   #55
tagesk OP
Tuscan rider

Oddometer: 3,198
After four pages we have still not settled the following:

On the wethead, cay an owner safely use
  • 10w-40?
  • 15w-50 (in summer, say above 35C?)
  • 20w-50 (in summer, say above 35C?)
The only reasonable answer, so far, is "No on all accounts, because the manual says 5W-40".

All other answers must be qualified!

If we're unable to settle this now, just imagine the number of oil-threads we will have
the coming years

[TaSK]
Proud contributor to Wisdom and GSpot FAQ and European Ride Report Index.
IBA: 33616
tagesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:24 AM   #56
El Gato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 608
While I love a good oil thread as much as the next guy, I'm not sure what sort of resolution you're hoping to reach. There is only one definitive source of information at the moment (the owner's manual) and it's not very definitive. Anything else posted here will be even more speculative than that. You can choose which of the speculations you're most comfortable with, but that will hardly be a resolution to your questions.

El Gato screwed with this post 04-04-2013 at 05:57 AM
El Gato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:24 AM   #57
cjack
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagesk View Post
After four pages we have still not settled the following:

On the wethead, cay an owner safely use
  • 10w-40?
  • 15w-50 (in summer, say above 35C?)
  • 20w-50 (in summer, say above 35C?)
The only reasonable answer, so far, is "No on all accounts, because the manual says 5W-40".

All other answers must be qualified!

If we're unable to settle this now, just imagine the number of oil-threads we will have
the coming years

[TaSK]
Use the 5W40 which works well in my K12S.
As far as settling this, I don't think that'll ever happen. Folks just like to talk about oil. I do.
RA & MOA #224
cjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:41 PM   #58
Gun Smoke
Banned

BMW had to use the word suggested because some dumb ass; probably one of the idiots fretting over this thread would run their bike bone dry rather than using a 10w if 5w wasn't available where they are. The whole discussion is ridiculous. They recommend 5w. What's the big fucking deal.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:31 PM   #59
fabiox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
is it this the one?

this is the one for 1150Gsssssss

http://www.worldsbestoil.ca/amsoil/1...rcycle-oil.php

fabiox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:15 AM   #60
TuefelHunden
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjack View Post
Use the 5W40 which works well in my K12S.
As far as settling this, I don't think that'll ever happen. Folks just like to talk about oil. I do.
I agree with what you said. There is one thing that I hear quite often in these threads which triggers a rhetorical question, "how do you know it works well?" For that matter, how do you know that it isn't shortening the life of your engine by thousands of miles? I do know that some oils will make your transmission shift smoother and some oils will make your clutch slip, but most of the time you have no indication of what it is doing. I know of guys who did religious oil analysis. Most just saw what they wanted to see, because most guys I know don't put crap oil into their beloved MC just to run an oil test. Picking an oil is a lot like religion. It is based more on faith than facts.