User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2012, 05:57 PM   #1
apexal OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Best Weather in the Atlantic Provinces

I'd like to do a trip from here in New Hampshire to the Atlantic Provinces, probably to Nova Scotia and Newfoundland. Can anybody suggest the best time to go weather-wise? I don't mind cold, I'm just not crazy about rain and fog. I'm thinking about this August or September since I'd guess that October might be a bit late for such a trip.

I'm thinking about 10 or 11 days for this trip. Is that adequate?

Thanks!

2011 BMW R1200GS
2012 BMW R1200RT
apexal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:39 PM   #2
Slowphil
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexal View Post
I'd like to do a trip from here in New Hampshire to the Atlantic Provinces, probably to Nova Scotia and Newfoundland. Can anybody suggest the best time to go weather-wise? I don't mind cold, I'm just not crazy about rain and fog. I'm thinking about this August or September since I'd guess that October might be a bit late for such a trip.

I'm thinking about 10 or 11 days for this trip. Is that adequate?

Thanks!
In Nova Scotia August and September are usually very nice travelling weather months, Warm days, warm nights in August, warm days and cool evenings in September. If your going to stay in hotels or bed and breakfasts even until the end of October can be excellent weather with the changing of the colours of the trees. I've ridden right until the end of December in beautiful weather but October on can be a crap shoot.

September is past the tourist season so prices will be better for accommodations

If you only have 11 days Newfoundland will really be pushing it, 1 day to Nova Scotia each way and 1 day on the Newfie ferry each way doesn't leave you much time. So much to do and so little time, my suggestion is just plan on Nova Scotia for this trip.

I'd invite you to stay at my place for a night or two BUT I will be on my way to South America then

Have a good trip, Cheers Philip

Slowphil screwed with this post 07-02-2012 at 07:41 PM
Slowphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:04 PM   #3
apexal OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowphil View Post
In Nova Scotia August and September are usually very nice travelling weather months, Warm days, warm nights in August, warm days and cool evenings in September. If your going to stay in hotels or bed and breakfasts even until the end of October can be excellent weather with the changing of the colours of the trees. I've ridden right until the end of December in beautiful weather but October on can be a crap shoot.

September is past the tourist season so prices will be better for accommodations

If you only have 11 days Newfoundland will really be pushing it, 1 day to Nova Scotia each way and 1 day on the Newfie ferry each way doesn't leave you much time. So much to do and so little time, my suggestion is just plan on Nova Scotia for this trip.

I'd invite you to stay at my place for a night or two BUT I will be on my way to South America then

Have a good trip, Cheers Philip
I'll probably shoot for September then. I'll bring camping gear and will either camp or stay at some sort of lodging, depending on where I am.

Okay, I can save Newfoundland for another time. If I have time after touring Nova Scotia I can always see a bit of New Brunswick or PEI.

Thanks for the feedback and enjoy your trip to South America!

2011 BMW R1200GS
2012 BMW R1200RT
Old 07-05-2012, 07:03 PM   #4
West Isles
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Yeah, September is the month....stop in on the way by
West Isles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:55 PM   #5
Happycamper
Have bikes, will travel

Oddometer: 549
Thumb Fyi

I am looking do go to NS starting the Friday before Labor Day for 10 days (leaving from Boston). I am planning on camping most nights, but would motel a bit if I can split costs. Plan on going for the scenery/history, hitting some well maintained unpaved roads and eating lots of seafood. Will be taking the ferry from Saint John to Digby one way (have not figured out which yet).

If you are interested in riding part/all of the trip with me let me know.

2007 G650 Xchallenge
2009 F800GS

Happycamper screwed with this post 07-09-2012 at 12:55 PM
Happycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:30 PM   #6
apexal OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Isles Foo Foo View Post
Yeah, September is the month....stop in on the way by
It looks like I'll be heading up on Sept 7th. I'll send a PM about your offer to stop in, okay? Thanks!

2011 BMW R1200GS
2012 BMW R1200RT
Old 07-19-2012, 05:39 PM   #7
apexal OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycamper View Post
I am looking do go to NS starting the Friday before Labor Day for 10 days (leaving from Boston). I am planning on camping most nights, but would motel a bit if I can split costs. Plan on going for the scenery/history, hitting some well maintained unpaved roads and eating lots of seafood. Will be taking the ferry from Saint John to Digby one way (have not figured out which yet).

If you are interested in riding part/all of the trip with me let me know.
Thanks for the offer but I'm not going to be leaving here until Fri, Sept 7th. If your dtaes change or if anybody else is interested in joining me, then get in touch. I'm thinking about camping/motelling about 50/50. My interest is riding on great roads through beautiful landscape and making an adventure of it.

2011 BMW R1200GS
2012 BMW R1200RT
Old 07-27-2012, 07:00 AM   #8
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,471
I want to do this trip as well, I to live in New Hampshire. Probably next year...don't have the finances or time this year. My questions is, assuming you go in September what is the lodging situation? With out reservations can I hope to find decent accommodations? I don't really want to camp but will do it in a pinch. Whats the average cost of as lodging??

Thanks
Old 07-27-2012, 07:24 AM   #9
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offcamber View Post
I want to do this trip as well, I to live in New Hampshire. Probably next year...don't have the finances or time this year. My questions is, assuming you go in September what is the lodging situation? With out reservations can I hope to find decent accommodations? I don't really want to camp but will do it in a pinch. Whats the average cost of as lodging??

Thanks
Since the ferries stopped running from Portland and Baa Haaba, there is little problem finding accommodations even in high season. The tourist economy took a real hit when the ferries stopped.

By US standards, rooms tend to be moderately expensive, as are campgrounds. I'd allot $70 -- $100 per night for a motel. The rooms may be advertised for less, but once you add in the tax, count on another 20%. I've stayed at private campgrounds with minimal facilities for as little as $12/night (and all the mosquitoes I could eat,) to the Provincial and Federal campgrounds, which tend to run around $25 plus taxes for a place with flush toilets and showers. Some of the campgrounds are only staffed until August, however. I don't know what the deal would be later in the season, although I expect some of the locals can provide that info.

By US standards, meals tend to be more expensive than we're accustomed to, as is buying food at the grocery stores. There are some real bargains to be had, though. I bought about a half-bushel of fresh mussels for $5.00 last time through. I've purchased excellent fresh fish from a cooler in the back of a guy's truck on previous trips. If you like seafood, the Maratimes are a remarkable place.

Dual Sport Luggage Racks for: DRZ-S, SM and E, DR 650 and KLR650: http://www.moto-racks.com
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:36 AM   #10
apexal OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offcamber View Post

Thanks
I'd prefer a motel/hotel as well but that could really cost a lot for the entire trip. So I'm thinking about camping 50% of the time and a motel/hotel the other 50%. But I think that some sort of cabin could be a great alternative to hotels or camping.

I guess that I'll figure it out as I go. I don't want a set schedule. Most of the time I don't have an exact destination when I ride, I tend to go wherever my front wheel goes!

2011 BMW R1200GS
2012 BMW R1200RT
Old 08-01-2012, 07:40 AM   #11
apexal OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
Since the ferries stopped running from Portland and Baa Haaba, there is little problem finding accommodations even in high season. The tourist economy took a real hit when the ferries stopped.

By US standards, rooms tend to be moderately expensive, as are campgrounds. I'd allot $70 -- $100 per night for a motel. The rooms may be advertised for less, but once you add in the tax, count on another 20%. I've stayed at private campgrounds with minimal facilities for as little as $12/night (and all the mosquitoes I could eat,) to the Provincial and Federal campgrounds, which tend to run around $25 plus taxes for a place with flush toilets and showers. Some of the campgrounds are only staffed until August, however. I don't know what the deal would be later in the season, although I expect some of the locals can provide that info.

By US standards, meals tend to be more expensive than we're accustomed to, as is buying food at the grocery stores. There are some real bargains to be had, though. I bought about a half-bushel of fresh mussels for $5.00 last time through. I've purchased excellent fresh fish from a cooler in the back of a guy's truck on previous trips. If you like seafood, the Maratimes are a remarkable place.
Thanks for the great information!

As far as camping goes, I'm a semi-retired mountain climber and normally do a climbing trip out west every year in September, so camping simple and light is familiar to me.

2011 BMW R1200GS
2012 BMW R1200RT
Old 07-04-2013, 01:36 PM   #12
apexal OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I never made it to Nova Scotia last year so I'm looking to do it this year. So my question this time is July any good or is it too hot and/or too crowded in summer? I'm chomping at the bit to do a trip real and don't want to wait until September. While I'm at it, if I wanted to do Newfoundland how much time should I allot for such a trip? I'm thinking that Newfoundland might be a bit cooler and less crowded than Nova Scotia.

2011 BMW R1200GS
2012 BMW R1200RT
Old 07-04-2013, 05:54 PM   #13
TOTim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
I am leaving Toronto around July 13 down through the US on a similar trip. I was planning on June departure but was delayed due to work. Like you I am now itching to get going. One of my first goals is to visit Mt Washington before heading
north for Nova scotia. If you want a riding partner let me know. Hoping for some good weather and great scenery.
TOTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:28 PM   #14
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 2,523
I'll try to answer a few questions in one post.
August-Sept are great times with august being a little busier. Sept the nights will be cooler with 12+ temps overnight. Campgrounds will run you 16-26 bucks, hotels/motels 60-120, gas is 1.30 a litre. Food is pricier in a grocery store, but you will find good deals on fresh seafood as you travel. Beer will be triple to what a US person would be familiar with. A bundle of wood will be 6-7 bucks if you want a fire.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:23 PM   #15
apexal OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOTim View Post
I am leaving Toronto around July 13 down through the US on a similar trip. I was planning on June departure but was delayed due to work. Like you I am now itching to get going. One of my first goals is to visit Mt Washington before heading
north for Nova scotia. If you want a riding partner let me know. Hoping for some good weather and great scenery.
PM sent.

2011 BMW R1200GS
2012 BMW R1200RT