User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2013, 04:21 PM   #1
AdventurePoser OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,964
Puerto Penasco MX worth checking out?

The pretext for a big ass tour of the west will be visiting one son and family in Boise, and son number two and family in Maricopa AZ. I'm noting Rocky Point isn't that far from his place.

Is it worth going down there for a couple of days? Any decent camping and restaurants?

cheers,
Steve
Old 03-29-2013, 09:48 PM   #2
AZKomet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Rocky Point

RP is a somewhat over rated in my opinion. It has some appeal to us AZ folks for the beach being closer than San Diego by about 2.5 hrs. However, the water is not that great and the ocean is not like the clear waters of CanCun.
If you like the nightlife it is plentiful. Hotels are not too pricey and there are water sports in the daytime. The area has a lot of sand in the town and on a windy day it is quite unpleasant due to the blowing sand.
The Mexican police can be a PITA due to them wanting $$ for allowing you to go without a true traffic ticket even though you have not committed an infraction. It is a typical thing there.
Border crossing is good at the AZ port but can be a lengthy wait on the week-end returns to the US.
Have a passport, DO NOT bring a weapon as you can and will go to prison if caught. Hide $$ somewhere on your person or on the bike. Get insurance PRIOR to going into Mex. A lot of places can sell it to you in AZ.
Above all else be careful while on the open roads. Bandits prey on solo folks of ones who have vehicle issues.
I would pass it by myself...Only cuz I have been there. If one wants a tiny bit of Mexico then go ahead and try it. It is about 3 hrs form Maricopa AZ. If you get to Phx give me a shout. I am good for a free cup of joe if interested. Anything else? PM me and I will try to help ya out a bit more.
Best, Dave

BTW if ya go to Wa Wa's leave the lady at home! ;)
AZKomet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:24 AM   #3
AdventurePoser OP
Beastly Adventurer

AZKomet,

I'll be in Maricopa next weekend. Your analysis of PP is kinda what I was thinking after doing a bit of reading. I do like the ride down, what is it, AZ 86? (Don't have a map in front of me right now...) In fact, I was at that tiny little crossroads at Why, AZ sitting on a bench when that large earthquake took place a few years ago. It was strong enough to make me think somewhere, somebody's gonna be hurting.

I've also been to Lukeville after visiting the Organ Pipe area. Someone told me there was an excellent Mexican restaurant right across the border, but I didn't have my passport...

Maybe I'll go check out Puerto Penasco for a day or two, but maybe not. It seems underwhelming to me.

Let's meet for a cup next week.

Steve
Old 03-30-2013, 02:11 PM   #4
AZKomet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Sounds good!

Sounds good.

From Maricopa you can take the 238 to Gila Bend and then to the 85, not 86 and head south to the border and Organ Pipe. From Maricopa you can head Casa Grande and then to Indian 15 which is less traffic and will take you to Why AZ . 85 is a great road in many ways though, although heavily patrolled by the DPS and USBP. I will shoot ya my cell # if you wanna so you can connect up.

Best, Dave
AZKomet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:40 PM   #5
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZKomet View Post
I would pass it by myself....
What he said.
It's just tourist BS.
And the town does well by that.

They offer t-shirts, booze, and food.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:31 PM   #6
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,582
Not worth the hassle of paying for Mexican insurance and waiting in a long line to cross back over, IMO. Prices are going to be same as U.S. since its a tourist spot and it's also a popular spring break destination. Personally, I'd rather spend the extra couple of hours and ride down to San Felipe.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:51 PM   #7
going south
hero & Zero...

Oddometer: 958
Ya I'd pretty much skip it, and go a little further south.... YMMV.....

Never Lost! Just Don't know where I am!

"Don't worry about your money, let your money worry about you" Jorge González
going south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:50 PM   #8
booger1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 805
I agree, Rocky Point is over rated. But if you need a Mexican adventure.
Go a little farther west, cross at Mexicali and go to San Felipe, however same condition coming back, long lines.

booger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:22 AM   #9
CaptUglyDan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Long lines

From what I gather, He's riding his bike, So lines won't be an issue, Bikes are allowed to filter to the front returning back from Mexico
CaptUglyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:12 AM   #10
AdventurePoser OP
Beastly Adventurer

Hi guys,

Yep, I am riding my bike around southern Arizona-son lives in Maricopa, so I have a convenient base to explore the area.

From what I'm gathering from those who've been there, PP isn't really worth the trip-maybe I'll just do Sonoita, Bisbee, Douglas, Patagonia, Tombstone. There is a very cool dirt road between Sonoita and Patagonia that crests a hill and sweeps through a magnificent valley...Great views, not a power pole in site-the way the west used to be. When I did this road a couple of years ago I met a couple of ICE guys who agreed it was beautiful, but to be off it at night.

Serene in the daytime, but up for grabs between the DTOs and human traffickers when the sun sets.

To those who suggest San Felipe, I agree...it's a pretty cool place. It's a shame that people don't visit there like they used to. I was in El Nido, an excellent steakhouse enjoying dinner one recent evening. The waiter begged me to tell my "American friends" to come visit...

Cheers,
Steve
Old 03-31-2013, 09:41 AM   #11
CaptUglyDan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
+1

I haven't been to PP, but San Felipe is great, and the road south to Gonzaga is awesome as well
CaptUglyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:22 PM   #12
booger1
Studly Adventurer

Yep, if you can only spend a day or 2 in Mexico, make it Baja and I guarantee you'll be begging for more.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:37 PM   #13
AdventurePoser OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by booger1 View Post
Yep, if you can only spend a day or 2 in Mexico, make it Baja and I guarantee you'll be begging for more.
Yep, I am fortunate enough to be in Mexico in 4 hours from my place. Makes a ride to San Felipe very easy. But my favorite town in Baja is San Ignacio.

Steve
Old 03-31-2013, 09:08 PM   #14
booger1
Studly Adventurer

I'm not to far either. So far I don't have a favorite place, but I'm starting to feel the need to get back down there.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:25 PM   #15
redninja
Will ride 4 scenery

Oddometer: 400
My Rocky Point Experience....

The "campground" was a fenced-in asphalt parking lot. No picnic table....welcome to sitting on the ground. Fireworks and loud parties all night (deafening!) Beach loaded with wandering "vendors". Not that there's anything wrong with someone wanting to make a buck, but I had no interest in buying anything, and they kept coming around. Beach was rocky. This was I guess in the "downtown" area. We ended up relocating to a new condo building on the beach a ways from this area. Pricey, but after not sleeping for 2 nights, we didn't care. The beach there was sandy. But we did see what looked like sharks circling near shore, right where we had been in one of those tiny rental sailboats.