Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-28-2013, 08:29 AM   #16
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,072
I don't think there's any way it will be cheaper than the Sprinter. Ford pricing has moved to the premium side of every class they are in since Alan Mulally took over, and with an engine needing to be shipped over from another country, there's no reason to expect that to change.
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:12 AM   #17
Ko
Observant as never

Oddometer: 1,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post
Like the concept, hate the nose. It reminds me of this:
It's inevitable, the concept in itself is ugly, not just one brand. The old vans, they look good with a short nose because proportion wise they fit- look in the pics above, the van looks better in the low roof configuration. The new style, with the oversized cargo space just doesn't fit- and there's no way someone gonna add a bigger nose just to please the eye
Once inside, who the heck cares as long as it drives nicely.

And no worries, Ford, unlike MB (who has a bad rep in Europe rust wise too), had solid bodies. Will it last 10 years plus like my current one with no rust? Time will tell...

I hope they didn't touch the engine (talking about the 3.2 duratorq , don't care about the other ones), it works just fine on other markets- mileage in other markets goes up to 28mpg. Same with the van, it's not like we're talking about a new vehicle, just new to NA.

Ko

Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:08 AM   #18
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko View Post
It's inevitable, the concept in itself is ugly, not just one brand. The old vans, they look good with a short nose because proportion wise they fit- look in the pics above, the van looks better in the low roof configuration. The new style, with the oversized cargo space just doesn't fit- and there's no way someone gonna add a bigger nose just to please the eye
It's not the length of the nose, it's that ugly-ass grille.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:10 AM   #19
Going_Commando
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
This config looks pretty good:

Has a decent cargo height (if it is the same as the promaster with a 100.8" roof height should be right @ 6' for cargo bay height), decent proportions, and with the ecoboost or diesel should have plenty of power. Me likey. Being Ford, I imagine these are going to be significantly less money than the Sprinters, or at least they better be, considering Ford is the staple of industry along with the GM Express/Savana.
Going_Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:40 PM   #20
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 8,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
Not sure about the RV industry, it's a unibody so wouldn't that be a lot of work to keep it together/stong while putting a new body pretty much on it.
Sprinter is a unibody too.
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:46 PM   #21
DUNDERHEAD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Ford will price the Transit $ 200 below MB.
DUNDERHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:11 PM   #22
ktrout01
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 705
Anyone know towing capacity ? I couldn't find it on the Ford web site.

2003 BMW F650GS
ktrout01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:34 PM   #23
DUNDERHEAD
Gnarly Adventurer

Total Ford Transit and Connect sales in Europe to date - 10,900 units.
Not a large market. This is for the 19 European countries. Ford has roughly 7 percent of the entire market. Add a new diesel engine into the mix, I think I'll wait a couple model years.
But at least they are headed in the right direction.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:56 PM   #24
koncha

Oddometer: 10,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiaz View Post
I don't think there's any way it will be cheaper than the Sprinter. Ford pricing has moved to the premium side of every class they are in since Alan Mulally took over, and with an engine needing to be shipped over from another country, there's no reason to expect that to change.
They did ok with pricing on the Explorer when it had a German engine and a French transmission.
koncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:51 PM   #25
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post
Sprinter is a unibody too.
If you go to the Ford website, they show a cutaway version for sale.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:33 PM   #26
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiaz View Post
Again, I have to think that going after fleet sales will be enough reason to price them aggressively. They're not going to sell tens of thousands of vans to large companies just because it looks euro and the fleet purchaser likes the smell of diesel.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:43 AM   #27
Hardware02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,133
These are/will be avail in Canada...saw a brochure for one at the local Nissan dealer when I had Mrs. H's Rogue in for a service.

Hardware02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:13 AM   #28
DUNDERHEAD
Gnarly Adventurer

The problem with Nissan is their fuel mileage. Terrible !
Old 03-29-2013, 09:33 AM   #29
STANIMAL
SUPPORT THE SECOND

Oddometer: 2,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware02 View Post
These are/will be avail in Canada...saw a brochure for one at the local Nissan dealer when I had Mrs. H's Rogue in for a service.

Yeah , but thats Canada .Thats like a whole different country .
I'm ignorant, but happy---steyr_scout308
STANIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:06 AM   #30
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer View Post
Again, I have to think that going after fleet sales will be enough reason to price them aggressively. They're not going to sell tens of thousands of vans to large companies just because it looks euro and the fleet purchaser likes the smell of diesel.
I really like the short wheelbase, low roof version of this to replace my E series van. First, the E series vans suck for leg room in the front seats and first row. My field crews bitch all the time. Second the mileage sucks in every model. Third every one I have ever driven including my current 2010 E-350 drives like crap.

So I am glad this is finally here. The E series was getting pretty long in the tooth. We have already replaced our compact trucks with Transit Connects. Our crews like the way they drive and really like the room inside compared to compact trucks. I like that TC's are dirt cheap and get better mileage than compact trucks.

So, hopefully this will be priced just as aggressively as the TC and get decent mileage with a V6 gasser. No oil burners for me since that introduces fleet fueling issues.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: