Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Alaska
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2013, 07:03 AM   #1
lopaca OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Question Hotel Res Needed July Ride Calif to Alaska?

We are riding up to Alaska from So. Cal. leaving on July 13. We did the ride 2 years ago, but in September.

For the Sept. ride, we had no reservations for hotels - prefer not to camp (don't be haters) - and had no problems finding hotels/motels. (Yes we always carry tents and bags for the uh ohs.)

Reading a few books in preparing for this year's trip, we are starting to get spooked about hotel/motel availability in July through Canada and into Alaska.

Were we just lucky that we did the last one in September or do we need to be worried and secure hotel reservations? Just makes the trip itinerary a little tighter - o.k. a LOT tighter. Naturally, our preference is to just ride until we find a place to stop. I hate the idea of having to make reservations and hope you make each one as planned.

Any input from those that have done the ride in the July time frame would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Signed,

Starting to Worry
Old 04-09-2013, 07:20 AM   #2
KHuddy
Big Sky Country

Oddometer: 2,702
We've made the trip 6 times in the past two years; 3 times on bikes and 3 in a cage (we recently moved from AK to MT). On some trips we wanted to camp most of the time, on others we never camped. We tend not to make reservations and have never failed to find a room. It's been close a couple of times, but in the end we always found one. One exception about reservations; if you plan to stay in Whitehorse then make a reservation. That town hosts many regional conferences and often is fully booked. The other hint I'd offer is to end your day early when searching for a room; no later than 4 PM. Rooms fill-up pretty quickly after 4. But if you absolutely want to be sure you get a room, then make reservations.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:55 AM   #3
nuttynu
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 912
i would call like two days ahead just to check for rooms..it can be a hit or miss. once in Anchorage, you shouldn't have any issue, plenty of motel/hotel.

my first first tour trip from anch to Fairbanks, (eitherjuly or August) i had nothing but me and my bike and cash, and once i arrived to Fairbanks i was bummed out, every motel was book, i ended sleeping at the school'ls park, then woke up finding there was a cemetery nearby ! yikes.

i'll be doing this in reverse in June, have fun !!

nuttynu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:56 AM   #4
Solarmoose
electric

Oddometer: 681
I agree with Kevin, that's been our experience too. I rarely do reservations and have never done so on the Alcan but have been close to not getting a room in the towns, especially Whitehorse even in May. I assume you know rooms will be a bit on the costly side? In May of 2012 the most expensive place we stayed at was the Rocky Mountain Lodge (nice place) at Muncho Lake for $160. Airdrie AB was $157, Airdrie had cheaper places but there was a hockey tournament in town and I was too tired to continue north. Dawson Creek was $89, and Whitehorse was $134. Have stayed at Ida's in Beaver Creek in 2011 for $117. Sometimes we carry a tent as backup and sometimes not. David
Solarmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:39 PM   #5
lopaca OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Thumb Muchas Gracias Amigos!

Thanks for input. I think we will be able to relax a little more now - much appreciated.