User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 12:06 AM   #1
dvebe9 OP
Blarg Honk

Oddometer: 14
3D Printers and Protective Parts?

Just curious if anyone has investigated using 3D printers to fabricate some of the smaller protective bits on a bike?

E.g. Brake resevoir's, hand guards, headlight protector etc.

Blarg Honk
dvebe9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:11 AM   #2
madefrtv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
sounds like a cool idea. I wonder if the material that you print 3d in would be useful for absorbing impact or just for rapid prototyping?

whoa, dude...
madefrtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:13 AM   #3
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,594
I think its a great idea as long as the material is tough, which I believe it is.
mousitsas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:15 AM   #4
dvebe9 OP
Blarg Honk

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas View Post
I think its a great idea as long as the material is tough, which I believe it is.

You can apparently use ABS plastic (Same stuff they make Lego out of), hence the smaller bits less likely to take a significant hit than a bash plate or crash bars.

Blarg Honk
dvebe9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:45 AM   #5
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvebe9 View Post
You can apparently use ABS plastic (Same stuff they make Lego out of), hence the smaller bits less likely to take a significant hit than a bash plate or crash bars.
These Lego are indestructible. Good info!
mousitsas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:14 AM   #6
juun
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
i've been interested in 3D printing and hopefully obtaining one someday. I guess the main issues have been types of lasers used to have the plastics dense enough to withstand abuse. Also the time it takes to print some parts can take hours or days.
juun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:17 AM   #7
munchmeister
Grow'd Up Mini Trail

Oddometer: 1,351
Old 03-29-2013, 04:17 AM   #8
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,115
Saw a video the other day where a guy made a fully functional lower receiver for an AR-15 with a 3D printer (likely one of the more expensive units )

I think the day is coming soon and may already be here for some parts ...

Depending on tolerances required it can take a long time, but for most brackets, and protective bits the tolerances can be pretty loose (from the machine's perspective) and still make a part acceptable to a guy that's going to go cover it up with mud anyway ... which speeds up process time quite a bit...

I have a buddy that built his own unit, as soon as I get my taxes done I'm gonna go pester the hell out of him about it.........

JRWooden screwed with this post 03-29-2013 at 04:28 AM
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:26 AM   #9
Plaka
Banned

Oddometer: 4,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvebe9 View Post
Just curious if anyone has investigated using 3D printers to fabricate some of the smaller protective bits on a bike?

E.g. Brake resevoir's, hand guards, headlight protector etc.
Expensive and fragile. The machines are even more expensive and very vibration sensitive, so special installations. Then you need a Solid modeler (3D CAD solids modeler) and software to translate the CAD into machine code for the stereolithography unit....

If you are making a model for a production run of a hundred thousand, yeah. One offs? No.

An injection molding machine can make 20 or more brake reservoirs in a single 45 second cycle...
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:46 AM   #10
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaka View Post
Expensive and fragile. The machines are even more expensive and very vibration sensitive, so special installations. Then you need a Solid modeler (3D CAD solids modeler) and software to translate the CAD into machine code for the stereolithography unit....

If you are making a model for a production run of a hundred thousand, yeah. One offs? No.

An injection molding machine can make 20 or more brake reservoirs in a single 45 second cycle...
Are you kidding? The beauty of 3D printing is that one-offs don't require extensive building of molds and such. If you look around, there are sites sharing CAD files that are pretty much ready to go. Sure, it's not economical if you're only going to build a single piece for yourself, but I work with a guy who uses one for pretty much anything that pops into his head that he can draw..

John

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
KLR takes a circular route to Big Bend '13 http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=887449
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:11 AM   #11
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarysharkface View Post
Are you kidding? The beauty of 3D printing is that one-offs don't require extensive building of molds and such. If you look around, there are sites sharing CAD files that are pretty much ready to go. Sure, it's not economical if you're only going to build a single piece for yourself, but I work with a guy who uses one for pretty much anything that pops into his head that he can draw..

John

See one operate first. Great for rapid prototyping is the key here. Prototype doesn't always mean 100% functional.

These machines build in layers, imagine thousands of small seams to create thousands of stress risers. The process is no where near as good as a seamless injection or even roto molded part.

The ones that are getting big media attention are fine to make low stress parts and all, but no where near as functionally sound as a regular manufacturing process at this time.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:31 AM   #12
Off Road Ryder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53 View Post
See one operate first. Great for rapid prototyping is the key here. Prototype doesn't always mean 100% functional.

These machines build in layers, imagine thousands of small seams to create thousands of stress risers. The process is no where near as good as a seamless injection or even roto molded part.

The ones that are getting big media attention are fine to make low stress parts and all, but no where near as functionally sound as a regular manufacturing process at this time.
Mark53 is right on the money here.
Prior to getting into the lighting biz. I managed a RP service burrow for the largest provider and manufacture of equipment around, 3D systems.
The thought that you can pop a part off of the platform that will be usable is a fallacy to say the least.
Typ they are used for design reviews, sales presentations or to make patterns for RTV mold on limited production runs.Even then there is a ton of hand or machine work that goes into a good part.
There are some machines that will make alloy parts, even titanium, however the parts are still relatively weak compared to the real McCoy,s and require a lot of Hand/machine work to be useful.
You cant believe everything you read on the interweb.
www.cyclopsadventuresports.com
1-800-624-0278
Off Road Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:37 AM   #13
Plaka
Banned

Oddometer: 4,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53 View Post

I saw some eyeglass frames done on one. They looked decent, but weren't strong enough for use.

last company I worked for just bought a pair of them for prototyping. 100 grand each. And they make small handheld medical tools.

However there are a number of techniques that are pretty easy at home. For a reserviour you can cast it in epoxy or polyester from a silicone mold made from a hand made pattern or an old (and damaged) part. You can also hot bend plastics and vacuum form them at home. You can make a handguard out of fiberglass/epoxy that is close to unbreakable. Ditto complx shapes for bash pans. A 3/8" fiberglass plate is as strong as a steel one, lighter and easy to maintain. Doesn't have some of the virtues of steel but doesn't have some of the liabilities either. And it's easy to fabricate.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:15 PM   #14
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops Motorsports View Post
You cant believe everything you read on the interweb.
I've been supporting these things at work for 10 years or so. I've seen what can be done.

John

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
KLR takes a circular route to Big Bend '13 http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=887449
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:24 PM   #15
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,270
There is one at a Tech Shop, it's pretty cool, I've seen some neat things being made, but no way are they strong enough for crash protection. Maybe it's the plastics they are using but everything I have seen is very delicate off that printer.

Cool for a quick prototype to hold in your hand and check fit etc before committing to a real part but not what I would trust for actual parts even if one off for yourself.

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote