User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2013, 04:26 PM   #1
jhh OP
Guzzi Dork

Oddometer: 22
R90S project, need advice on parts.

So I've done the most financially irresponsible thing I could think of: I bought an R90S project bike. Actually, not so much a bike, but a truckload of boxes consisting of a '74 R90S, a '75 R90/6, and a complete '77 R80/7 parts bike. This is intended to be a near daily rider to replace my '85 R80 and not a show bike, so I'm not going to try and keep it 100% correct.

Rear shocks: What brand? I know I have a lot of choices, right now I'm leaning towards the Ikons. I prefer a more sporty ride, and the streets here are horrible. The forks have Progressive springs. Are the Ikons my best bet for a decent mix of performance and durability, or should I look at Hagon/Progressive/etc?

Frame decals: The PO destroyed the ones on the R90S frame when he tried to remove some surface corrosion, and I don't see them (the blue brake fluid warning label on the top tube, and the white US compliance/GVWR one on the lower right frame) in the Max parts fiche. Does anyone know where I can get a set of reproductions?

Gaiters: Did the '74 R90S originally include these or not? I've seen pictures of them both with and without it.

Electrical: The one thing I'm missing is a good alternator. I'm probably going to get a more powerful aftermarket one. Any thoughts on which brand to go with? I don't use heated gear, and I'm looking for reliability more than performance. Bonus points if it will still charge when that damned light bulb burns out.

Oil cooler: Was this optional on the R90S? I've seen bikes both with an without it. Is it needed? I have both the cooler assembly and the block off plate, and I'm not sure whether I should add one more thing that can fail in favor of the lower temperatures. Thoughts?

jhh screwed with this post 03-30-2013 at 04:34 PM
jhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:48 PM   #2
alister102
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Thumb shocks

Works Performance on mine. They'll custom build them to your weight/ride style.
alister102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:45 AM   #3
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,933
I use ikons on both my bikes.

I don't think that you need an oil cooler, but I don't know we're you live.
If you did fit an cooler, only fit it with a thermostat, you are more likely to do damage through running with too cool oil, than too hot.

Gators were never standard on the S, standard on the 90/6.

Good luck with the project.
1971 Commando Fastback
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:05 AM   #4
ontic

Oddometer: 1,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasbmw View Post
If you did fit an cooler, only fit it with a thermostat, you are more likely to do damage through running with too cool oil, than too hot.
Wasn't it shown by Rob Farmer and some infrared photos that the oil coolers self-regulate in a way and that the oil when not hot barely even flows through the cooler?
I've got a cooler that is going on my G/S, no thermostat, but that will be a slightly hotted 1000cc engine that will be run in over 40C temps and often at slow speed/airflow.

Gaitors look better to me, and make more sense, but then I'm not big on the 100% original thing.

ontic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:20 AM   #5
craydds
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhh View Post
Rear shocks: What brand?
Gaiters: Did the '74 R90S originally include these or not?
Electrical: The one thing I'm missing is a good alternator.
Oil cooler: Was this optional on the R90S?
Rear shocks - call Tom Cutter, http://rubberchickenracinggarage.com/ .
Gaiters - not original on the R90S. I have 'em on my R90S for extra protection from dirt out here in the desert.
Alternator - EnduraLast. Call John Rayski - http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/pro...450-altkit.htm .
Oil cooler - not original. Not needed. I put one on many years ago, took it off a few years later, been happy ever since.
ABC #12947
'75 R90S
craydds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:11 AM   #6
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,586
Quote:
So I've done the most financially irresponsible thing I could think of: I bought an R90S project bike. Actually, not so much a bike, but a truckload of boxes consisting of a '74 R90S, a '75 R90/6, and a complete '77 R80/7 parts bike. This is intended to be a near daily rider to replace my '85 R80 and not a show bike, so I'm not going to try and keep it 100% correct.

Rear shocks: What brand? I know I have a lot of choices, right now I'm leaning towards the Ikons. I prefer a more sporty ride, and the streets here are horrible. The forks have Progressive springs. Are the Ikons my best bet for a decent mix of performance and durability, or should I look at Hagon/Progressive/etc?

Frame decals: The PO destroyed the ones on the R90S frame when he tried to remove some surface corrosion, and I don't see them (the blue brake fluid warning label on the top tube, and the white US compliance/GVWR one on the lower right frame) in the Max parts fiche. Does anyone know where I can get a set of reproductions?

Gaiters: Did the '74 R90S originally include these or not? I've seen pictures of them both with and without it.

Electrical: The one thing I'm missing is a good alternator. I'm probably going to get a more powerful aftermarket one. Any thoughts on which brand to go with? I don't use heated gear, and I'm looking for reliability more than performance. Bonus points if it will still charge when that damned light bulb burns out.

Oil cooler: Was this optional on the R90S? I've seen bikes both with an without it. Is it needed? I have both the cooler assembly and the block off plate, and I'm not sure whether I should add one more thing that can fail in favor of the lower temperatures. Thoughts?
I use Koni Shocks--still. last forever, you can use the adjuster to compensate for wear, rebuildable. If the Ikons are still as good, get 'em.

frame decals??? Just for show bikes. For riders, and especially performance bikes, peel them off to save weight.

gaiter- appearance item. But they do provide protection to the fork tubes, which are greased or cosmolined under them.

See what Euromotor electrics has in big alternators. Some integrate an ignition which is nice. Rick also has an inexpensive little kit that takes care of the burned out bulb problem..just a resistor and some wire. backs up the bulb.

I run a cooler and no thermostat, high compression 100RS. Mostly it's for protection when traffic jamming at 15 miles an hour for extended periods. No lane splitting here. Have a cover plate to put over it in the cold. if you use the thermostat you also need the depressed section in the header pipe to clear it. W/o the thermostat slightly longer lines are good but not an absolute necessity.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:49 AM   #7
craydds
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaka View Post
See what Euromotor electrics has in big alternators. Some integrate an ignition which is nice. Rick also has an inexpensive little kit that takes care of the burned out bulb problem..just a resistor and some wire. backs up the bulb.
Rick Jones is with Motorrad Elektrik - http://www.motoelekt.com/charging.htm . He is very helpful.
ABC #12947
'75 R90S
craydds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:35 AM   #8
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by craydds View Post
Rick Jones is with Motorrad Elektrik - http://www.motoelekt.com/charging.htm . He is very helpful.
Right. Need sleep...
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:59 PM   #9
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,772
Quote:

This is intended to be a near daily rider to replace my '85 R80 and not a show bike, so I'm not going to try and keep it 100% correct.

A daily rider does not need stickers or decals.

OEM was w/o gaiters. The addition of gaiters is more protection for the expensive fork tubes. I also think the Airhead forks look better with gaiters on them.

Shocks are one of those "you get what you pay for" items. The Tom Cutter link is good source for good shocks.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:02 PM   #10
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,015
Quote:

I might be joining you in the 'most financially irresponsible' category in a very short time - got a line on a R90S project bike. I'm watching this thread with great interest.
jackd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:52 AM   #11
jhh OP
Guzzi Dork

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd View Post
I might be joining you in the 'most financially irresponsible' category in a very short time - got a line on a R90S project bike. I'm watching this thread with great interest.
Share some pictures! I''ll be making a real build thread once I get the frame back from the painters and get out of the planning / sorting things out of boxes phase.
jhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:34 AM   #12
TheRoss
MOA,IBA,IBR15

Oddometer: 335
I bought a barn find '74 R90S a couple of weeks ago. It has been a hell of a lot of fun so far. Today I am delivering the frame, tail frame, centerstand, battery box and triple tree plate to the powder coater!

Once I get my pictures of the project uploaded I'll post a link.

You'll have fun. And if you don't an R90S shouldn't be hard to sell.

NEEDED - REAR WHEEL FOR A 1200 GS ADVENTURE - PLEASE PM
TheRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:35 AM   #13
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,015
Quote:
Share some pictures! I''ll be making a real build thread once I get the frame back from the painters and get out of the planning / sorting things out of boxes phase.
I haven't pulled the trigger yet. A fellow at my place of employment approached me to offer a project bike in bits. Much is missing from what I can tell. I'm still trying to decide if I should pursue my original plan of putting a 'S' style fairing on a low mileage later model R100R or go with the project bike. What to do, what to do....
jackd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:29 AM   #14
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,933
I'd always wanted an R90s, so I built one.

1971 Commando Fastback
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:54 PM   #15
TINK
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 681
P r o j e c t - s

See my build thread > http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=684054

I went with Ikon shock and springs and am very pleased with the results.

No gaiter = original R90S, with gaiters are an owner intalled option. I actually bought new gaiters and clamps for my PROJECT-S but in the end I went gaiter-less.

Can't help on the electrical, my OEM charging system is working fine so far.

Oil cooler is likely overkill, don't need it, save your money for this things.

TINK

Quote:

TINK is offline   Reply With Quote