User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 11:30 AM   #1
Fishnbiker OP
Tire smuddy, hook swet

Oddometer: 306
BC Big Adventure Ride II ~ Side Rides

All of us on this thread are looking at side rides linking up with the BC Big Adventure Ride II. Those wanting to offer ideas & meet up can use this chat without overloading the primary page. Registations & overall planning to be on the original site: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=871033

First side ride on the list is a leg from Horseshoe Bay into Goldbridge to explore there a couple of days. Either before or after Kamloops. Fishing is also part of my interest if anyone else cares to consider it. Some of us will be coming from Vancouver Island & this locale has proven a good option to meet up. So far from the Island, intertested partners are:

Our BC
Stinkyboy
Fishnbiker
My Photos at: http://fishnbiker.smugmug.com

Fishnbiker screwed with this post 03-28-2013 at 11:47 AM
Fishnbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:15 AM   #2
Cowgirl
Cougar on the prowl

Oddometer: 3,832
Hey, I may be in for some of these I have no suggestions but I'd like to tag along.
A Cougar goes racing
Lead me not into temptation ............ just follow me, I know a short-cut.
Cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:31 AM   #3
Tropic-Of-Canada
Thread Derailleur

Oddometer: 838
Bralorne has been on my list for a long time, and I always pack my fishing rod! You can count me in!
Tropic-Of-Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:04 AM   #4
Fishnbiker OP
Tire smuddy, hook swet

To Cowgirl & Tropic of Canada: My thoughts are to meet up maybe @ Departure Bay ferry or Brittania (good cafe there), take the Hurley Pass or Seton Highline road into Goldbridge for 2 nights, camping or hoteling, spending the time fishing & exploring side roads there. I have been through the valley since I was a toddler, but still find lots of new adventures each time.

Our BC & TTigerfoot ran through there with me before the BC Big Trailies 2011, then we went up the Yalakom River for an exploratory as well. Had some great rides.

From there to Kamloops is a nice easy backroads cruise, just enough practice to put us in the mood for the "Big Trailies" event!

Any other ideas or requests?
Old 04-05-2013, 11:18 AM   #5
Redhed
Lost on the Island

Oddometer: 80
Ken and others

I like your suggestion, and while I did the High Line last summer on my own, I would have benefitted from some riding companeros. I never did find out how to connect that area to the Gang Ranch without going back to Willy's Puddle. I am sure that it is possible.

Whatever is planned, I am very interested. I am committed to HU meeting in Nakusp during last week of August, but otherwise looking forward to a Fall of riding in B.C.

Redhed
Redhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:24 PM   #6
Rydr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
I'm In

Looks to be a good time...
Side trip sounds good as it gets us a few more days of riding/exploring.
Rydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:59 PM   #7
OurBC
Live to Travel

Oddometer: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhed View Post
Ken and others

Whatever is planned, I am very interested. I am committed to HU meeting in Nakusp during last week of August, but otherwise looking forward to a Fall of riding in B.C.

Redhed
I am possibly going up for that as well, maybe we could meet up and take the road from Grand Forks to Edgewood.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:34 PM   #8
Tropic-Of-Canada
Thread Derailleur

Oddometer: 838
Just picked up the Caribou Chilcotin Backroads Mapbook, MEC had them on sale! I'll be going through that one thoroughly, looking for routes and good lakes/streams to fish!
Tropic-Of-Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:39 PM   #9
Fishnbiker OP
Tire smuddy, hook swet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhed View Post
Ken and others

I like your suggestion, and while I did the High Line last summer on my own, I would have benefitted from some riding companeros. I never did find out how to connect that area to the Gang Ranch without going back to Willy's Puddle. I am sure that it is possible.
Redhed
Redhed,

My past experience points to a road from Mud Lakes (in behind Tyax Lake) that can get through via Poison Mountain to Big Bar, but most I have talked to who have done it said it would be most difficult for machines larger than 250~350cc & a chainsaw is a valuable tool to pack.

As for the Goldbridge area, I would like to get as far as possible up the McGilvray Pass this visit, & maybe some fishing at Carol or Kingdom Lakes.

What you riding & where are you?

Fishnbiker screwed with this post 04-06-2013 at 10:54 PM
Old 04-06-2013, 10:49 PM   #10
Fishnbiker OP
Tire smuddy, hook swet

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurBC View Post
I am possibly going up for that as well, maybe we could meet up and take the road from Grand Forks to Edgewood.
Gary, I'm still interested in a summer ride. HU would be fine. Just have to get the SWMBO onside. Too much time taken up planning the China & India trip to be sure of anything before the last minute. I can go on a couple day's notice if time permits.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:44 AM   #11
Mike Ryder
Kriegerkuh

Oddometer: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnbiker View Post
Redhed,

My past experience points to a road from Mud Lakes (in behind Tyax Lake) that can get through via Poison Mountain to Big Bar, but most I have talked to who have done it said it would be most difficult for machines larger than 250~350cc & a chainsaw is a valuable tool to pack.

As for the Goldbridge area, I would like to get as far as possible up the McGilvray Pass this visit, & maybe some fishing at Carol or Kingdom Lakes.

Was up through there a year ago on a drz400. There are a few stoppers for big bikes. going west to east there is a sandy downhill section a big bike would not make back up if needed. Several creek crossings on the western side, none too big or nasty. Once you get to Yodel cabin the road is a manageable twotrack that will dump you out at the BigBar ferry. Spectacular views from the ridges. A chain saw might be handy if the quad guys have not opened it up.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:19 AM   #12
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Ryder View Post
Was up through there a year ago on a drz400. There are a few stoppers for big bikes. going west to east there is a sandy downhill section a big bike would not make back up if needed. Several creek crossings on the western side, none too big or nasty. Once you get to Yodel cabin the road is a manageable twotrack that will dump you out at the BigBar ferry. Spectacular views from the ridges. A chain saw might be handy if the quad guys have not opened it up.
If you go through in late June, then the services from a chainsaw might be needed and the creek crossings can be a pretty hairy affair with the extra snow melt push... By late summer /early fall the track has been well used and is usually pretty clear of debris so just a hand saw of some sort would provide the needed measure to remove any trail blockers...

I have traveled through this route many times and always with a fully loaded bike rigged for travel and camping... With the bike in that form it can be a very technical trail for the rider... Especially on the Mud Lake to Yodel Hill section that has a lot of the roller coaster dirt surfaced hills with the deep center ruts... Like you mentioned, the Yodel hill climb will be the most problematic section for the big bikes, as this is usually where, with the bikes in my group, if it were to happen, a crash would take place... We had one very skilled rider on a 950 easily clean that section but on the pound up his luggage bailed getting scattered all over the hill providing extra obstacles for the riders following...

While doable on a big bike with a skilled rider the Mud lakes to Poison Mountain is more suited to the smaller and midsize DS bikes... You could cut out the worst bits by taking the Yalacom road up, riding over China Head, then down to the Big Bar and cutting out Mud Lakes all together... For the Big bike this route would still have a technical climb up to the 7000'+ summit and some steep stuff down the other side before getting onto West Pavillion but not so bad as some of the sections on the Mud lakes half...

Here are some pics that give the flavor of this route:

Meadows

Creek Crossings

Near the top of the Yodel Hill, you can see how steep it falls away in the backdrop

Alpine

Like Mongolia

f

gunnerbuck screwed with this post 04-07-2013 at 11:00 AM
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:47 AM   #13
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,131
Great shots Gunner..........I hope to get up that way this summer!

Cheers
Old 04-07-2013, 04:49 PM   #14
Redhed
Lost on the Island

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnbiker View Post
Redhed,

Hi Ken
I am on a F800GS and waiting for a boat to Jamaica and Cuba.

Dave:very impressed with your pics of the area. Just as well I got myself lost before I really got lost. Still looks like a great ride, however. On another note, I am very impressed with your work and descriptions of the Trans Canada Trail. You and the others have done and excellent job..well done.
Redhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:19 PM   #15
Argus16
Fake n00b

Oddometer: 419
Nice shots. ..
Looking forward to coming along.
Cant imagine slabbin to Kamloops when there's this option.

-Dan-
Argus16 is offline   Reply With Quote