Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2013, 10:52 PM   #16
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhed View Post
Hi Ken
I am on a F800GS and waiting for a boat to Jamaica and Cuba.

Dave:very impressed with your pics of the area. Just as well I got myself lost before I really got lost. Still looks like a great ride, however. On another note, I am very impressed with your work and descriptions of the Trans Canada Trail. You and the others have done and excellent job..well done.
Hey Dave, good to here from you and thanks for the kind words... I just winged it on the Tahsis option, it is good that it was included, definitely an Island hi-lite..

There are so many tracks/trails in the Cariboo/Chilcotin that getting lost doesn't take much effort... Problem is that you can get lost big time by following the wrong track and they go on for miles so running out of gas is always a possibility... On a trip 3 years back we took one of those scenic tours {down the wrong road} and ate up 50kms of fuel resulting in 2 of our crew (18 liter tanks} switching to reserve and then running dry 100KM from gas in Lillooet... It's was a good thing that Randy and I had bigger tanks as we were able to milk them and get everyone into to Lillooet on fumes..
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:05 PM   #17
Fishnbiker OP
Tire smuddy, hook swet

Oddometer: 298
I'm offline for a month in California. I'll catch up when I'm back early June.
My Photos at: http://fishnbiker.smugmug.com

Fishnbiker screwed with this post 05-30-2013 at 10:38 PM
Fishnbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:41 PM   #18
Fishnbiker OP
Tire smuddy, hook swet

I'm back now from a month into California. Found some awesome paved & gravel roads. Thinking of riding some late next spring.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:54 AM   #19
Fishnbiker OP
Tire smuddy, hook swet

Ride Headquarters

Just a heads-up to anyone feeling like joining the pre-ride through Goldbridge; OurBC Gary & I have booked a room at Days Inn in the Aberdeen Mall area for Thursday, Friday, Saturday nights.

We will also do a room at the Goldbridge Hotel for the Tuesday & Wednesday before. Anyone joining us is urged to get some planning & possible room sharing started. Free camping is available either Kingdom Lake or Gun Creek, 5 or 12 km from the village

The plan as it currently stands is to meet up at the Galaxy Cafe in Brittania around 11am Tuesday Sept 3rd. This would give us plenty of time to sort out our routes (Hurley vs Highline, side trips, etc.)

Ryder Mark has expressed an interest in fishing for a while in the Bridge River Valley. I'm now thinking of bringing my tackle too. Any others?
Old 07-19-2013, 05:45 PM   #20
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic-Of-Canada View Post
Just picked up the Caribou Chilcotin Backroads Mapbook,!
Use the Backroads Mapbooks with caution. They gathered all the mapping info they could get their hands on and compiled it into their products. Lots of vetting yet to be done. Check local knowledge to confirm that where you're "going" exists.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:37 AM   #21
Fishnbiker OP
Tire smuddy, hook swet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250senuf View Post
Use the Backroads Mapbooks with caution. They gathered all the mapping info they could get their hands on and compiled it into their products. Lots of vetting yet to be done. Check local knowledge to confirm that where you're "going" exists.

Don't I know it. A few years ago, my wife & I were up the north end of Vancouver Island near O-Connell Lake, planning to do a circle route around it. We found the bridge across the centre missing a span. Looked like it had rotted out 30 years before. The marked westside road was also un-passable with sapling alders, even by foot, after about a kilometre past the defunct (but still on the maps) bridge.

For most of us, it will be be a repeat performance in mostly known territory.

Fishnbiker screwed with this post 07-21-2013 at 11:21 PM
Old 07-22-2013, 05:04 AM   #22
naotweed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Do you have some GPS tracks you could send me for this route? I'm heading towards the Goldbride area in a couple weeks. Also have the Backroad map books if you have some tips.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
If you go through in late June, then the services from a chainsaw might be needed and the creek crossings can be a pretty hairy affair with the extra snow melt push... By late summer /early fall the track has been well used and is usually pretty clear of debris so just a hand saw of some sort would provide the needed measure to remove any trail blockers...

I have traveled through this route many times and always with a fully loaded bike rigged for travel and camping... With the bike in that form it can be a very technical trail for the rider... Especially on the Mud Lake to Yodel Hill section that has a lot of the roller coaster dirt surfaced hills with the deep center ruts... Like you mentioned, the Yodel hill climb will be the most problematic section for the big bikes, as this is usually where, with the bikes in my group, if it were to happen, a crash would take place... We had one very skilled rider on a 950 easily clean that section but on the pound up his luggage bailed getting scattered all over the hill providing extra obstacles for the riders following...

While doable on a big bike with a skilled rider the Mud lakes to Poison Mountain is more suited to the smaller and midsize DS bikes... You could cut out the worst bits by taking the Yalacom road up, riding over China Head, then down to the Big Bar and cutting out Mud Lakes all together... For the Big bike this route would still have a technical climb up to the 7000'+ summit and some steep stuff down the other side before getting onto West Pavillion but not so bad as some of the sections on the Mud lakes half...

Here are some pics that give the flavor of this route:

Meadows

Creek Crossings

Near the top of the Yodel Hill, you can see how steep it falls away in the backdrop

Alpine

Like Mongolia

f
naotweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:28 AM   #23
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by svensmanager View Post
Do you have some GPS tracks you could send me for this route? I'm heading towards the Goldbride area in a couple weeks. Also have the Backroad map books if you have some tips.

Thanks
Sent you a PM
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:40 AM   #24
Cowgirl
Cougar on the prowl

Oddometer: 3,800
Hey Ken, I'm not going to make it to Goldbridge with you this time - I'm working right up to Thursday morning. Hopefully you'll still let me ride with you guys over the weekend. I haven't booked a hotel yet but the Days Inn sounds good - I better get on that!
A Cougar goes racing
Lead me not into temptation ............ just follow me, I know a short-cut.
Cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:44 PM   #25
Fishnbiker OP
Tire smuddy, hook swet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowgirl View Post
Hey Ken, I'm not going to make it to Goldbridge with you this time - I'm working right up to Thursday morning. Hopefully you'll still let me ride with you guys over the weekend. I haven't booked a hotel yet but the Days Inn sounds good - I better get on that!

Of course you can ride with us! One more to help pick up my Tiger when I go over. Will be nice to have you along.

Fishnbiker screwed with this post 08-15-2013 at 11:05 PM
Old 08-14-2013, 11:18 PM   #26
Fishnbiker OP
Tire smuddy, hook swet

Change of plans? Comments?

After calling all the hotels/motels in Goldbridge & Bralorne, I'm finding no rooms available that time slot. Seems the mine is taking up everything right now.

This means some adapting is in order. I propose staying at Mile Zero in Lillooet after going up the Hurley & pass though Goldbridge to Lillooet. We could go looking at some backroads in Bridge River, maybe stopping in Bralorne for lunch Wednesday. The Bridge River canyon is well worth going both directions. Thursday morning we could look at the Botany Lake road to Pavilion, or the road from Pavilion to Clinton. Then, onto Kamloops.

I'll call Mile Zero & see if space is available those 2 nights.
Looks like 4 rooms at this point. OURBC & I are sharing. Feel free to team up.

Checklist so far ...

Fishnbiker
OurBC
White Fang
Ryder
Stinkyboy

Comments?
Old 08-15-2013, 04:42 PM   #27
Cavolina
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Side Ride

Hey Ken / Bike fisher
Got room for one more in the group ? Im on a F800 GS. Haven't had a chance to rides the Hurley this year and would love to go. If you guys are staying at Mile Zero i'll book a room there as well.
Cheers Bruce
Cavolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:11 PM   #28
Fishnbiker OP
Tire smuddy, hook swet

Hotels

I have booked a room for OurBC Gary & me @ Mile 0 in Lillooet. Anyone else wanting to do this side ride should take care of their own room ASAP. Tel 1 888 766-4530.

Seems like Do-it-in-the-dirt is also interested & will be proceeding with his own reservations. You can say you are with Ken Minnion. Welcome to the group!
Old 08-15-2013, 07:43 PM   #29
Argus16
Fake n00b

Oddometer: 418
Room's booked for the 2nd & 3rd.
Good to have Bruce join us. Long time no see
Argus16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:16 PM   #30
Cavolina
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
The side ride

Hey Stinkyboy haven't seen you since the 05 BCBTR. I'm looking forward to this Rooms booked at Mile 0 and Days inn. Just to confirm the two nights at Mile Zero are the 3 rd and 4 th. tues and wed. correct ?

Cheers Bruce
Cavolina is offline   Reply With Quote