Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 10:09 AM   #31
ridewv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by middlepatent View Post
...I see you ride the GSA. Should I put one in my garage?
I appreciate your input.
To be honest I haven't ridden it much yet. I rode an 09 GS with no intention of getting rid of it. A couple months ago when I went to the Harley dealer to buy a couple spark plugs they pointed out this 2012 GSA they'd just taken on trade. It was well equipped with bags and only 115 miles. They were going to wholesale it but offered it to me for that if I wanted to buy it right then. So I did just to gain 3 years, get the Camhead motor, and a couple years warranty.
At first just riding it 15 miles home I wasn't sure I liked it as well. I never cared for the "Hummer" GSA styling but I must be learning to ignore it, or maybe it's even growing on me? Rolling it around the garage I could feel it was heavier and noticeably wider with those bags too. I finally got to put 250 miles on it Saturday and am warming up to it. Once moving it feels basically like the GS. When my friend on a GS pointed to his tank meaning it was time to look for gas I looked down to see I still had 130 miles remaining! That is kind of nice. The wide top load bags certainly hold a lot and are so easy to load. Rather than use liners I had them Linex'd. The windshield is nice but not a big improvement for me because I like the one on a GS just fine. It is noticeably taller in the saddle, which I like, even with the Corbin off my GS.
You can certainly make the argument for buying a 2013 which would be the last of the oil cooled GSA's. But I have a feeling the new 2014 GSA will be very nice. If money isn't a problem I'd buy a 2013, you may never want to give it up. But if you find that you like the new LC Adventure even better just trade your 13 in on one after 2-3 years.
2000 CB750
1993 R100R
ridewv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:13 AM   #32
mexipike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
I picked up a 2005 1200 gs for $6700. It has 90k miles. I'm not sure if that's too much, but it had jesses and a few other choice upgrades. It's right in the range of what I could afford and I knew the owner and history and I didn't have to travel to get it. If I saved up another 2 grand I could have gotten a low mileage with more accessories, but that may have meant a couple months without riding. I couldn't be happier with what I got!

mexipike screwed with this post 04-01-2013 at 10:14 AM Reason: forgot to put mileage in
mexipike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:02 PM   #33
utahluca OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Well, I made my decision and bought a 2006 1200GS. For reference, It had less than 6K miles, barely used ... , and I paid $10K. I am sure that waiting a little longer would have given me a better price, but a bike that new, I thought was worth buying.
utahluca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:06 PM   #34
bobframe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Price Registry

How useful would it be to have every GS transaction listed in a registry?

The idea is that buyers or sellers would submit (anonymously) a few key data points (Model, year, mileage, locale, important farkles...AND...price paid/sold). The registry would be sortable by those elements so someone wishing to buy or sell could ask questions like:

- What's the newest year bike sold for $XXXX or less?
- What should I expect to sell my 20XX 1200GS for?
- What does a upgraded seat do to the selling price of bikes?
- How much does extra high (or low) mileage do to the price of bikes.

Again, all of the data would be based on real sales data...not what somebody is ASKING for a bike and not some "imaginary" number from a book. In order to be included in the registry there had to be both a buyer and a seller that agreed on a number.

Personally, I think it would be a great tool for buyers (who wants to underprice a bike...and who wants to waste weeks of selling time by overpricing a bike??) and sellers (never overpay for a bike...and quit dreaming about buying a bike for next to nothing) by allowing the market to operate more efficiently.

bobframe screwed with this post 04-01-2013 at 01:11 PM Reason: Corrected typo's
bobframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:21 PM   #35
genka
SUV hater

Oddometer: 1,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobframe View Post
How useful would it be to have every GS transaction listed in a registry?
I don't think you'll get enough volunteers. And the data reliability would be questionable. When I was shopping around, I saved ebay results over the course of about 2 months. It gave me a good idea on what can be considered a deal.
I spent a lot of time, but eventually got a steal 07GS with 8k miles, saddlebags, crashbars and wire wheels for $9600. It was 2.5 years ago. And I had to fly to get the bike. I think it was the best vehicle deal of my life.

Форум мотоциклистов в США http://www.xytopok.net/mvnforum/listthreads?forum=31
genka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:24 PM   #36
little foot
Scratch and Sniff

Oddometer: 5,920
this is an 08 with 46,000 ABS computer, driving lights, bags, tinted windshield, spokes and thats pretty much it. I would start at 10k and work from there.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:55 PM   #37
bobframe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by genka View Post
I don't think you'll get enough volunteers. And the data reliability would be questionable. When I was shopping around, I saved ebay results over the course of about 2 months. It gave me a good idea on what can be considered a deal.
I spent a lot of time, but eventually got a steal 07GS with 8k miles, saddlebags, crashbars and wire wheels for $9600. It was 2.5 years ago. And I had to fly to get the bike. I think it was the best vehicle deal of my life.
I agree, getting people to participate and to be truthful would be a challenge. But setting this aside...how useful would it be? I guess the question is so obvious that you went straight to "implementation challenges".

My experience is that the data set "completed transactions" is pretty limited on eBay. But the idea is the same...data on completed transactions is highly valuable to the marketplace. Maybe its so valuable that buyers and sellers would pay to see it?

After all, its what drove the OP to ask his question in the first place.
bobframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:53 AM   #38
utahluca OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
It would be nice. Honestly, the statement from the local dealer made me reflect. They insist that japanese bikes sell below NADA values, but BMW bikes sell ABOVE NADA values. That I am ok with. What he couldn't say was how do you base how much above value? :) I guess it is in the percieved value of the seller and buyer... still a reference is nice to have. Based on what you guys have been saying, I may have paid on the high end, but the bike is clean, low miles, and I look forward to ride it.
utahluca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:57 AM   #39
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by utahluca View Post
It would be nice. Honestly, the statement from the local dealer made me reflect. They insist that japanese bikes sell below NADA values, but BMW bikes sell ABOVE NADA values. That I am ok with. What he couldn't say was how do you base how much above value? :) I guess it is in the percieved value of the seller and buyer... still a reference is nice to have. Based on what you guys have been saying, I may have paid on the high end, but the bike is clean, low miles, and I look forward to ride it.
If you feel like you got a good deal, you did.

Any small difference in actual price will mean nothing in a year after enjoying the bike!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:13 AM   #40
abruzzi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by utahluca View Post
People often look at NADA/KBB backwards. Vehicles sell for what the market will bear. This varies by region, vehicle, and condition. NADA/KBB attempt to provide a window into what others are paying on average, but it can be way off. I recently bought a 2004 GSA, for about $2000 above NADA value (about $800 above KBB value.) But based on the market, I got a pretty good deal on a relatively low mileage bike.

If you're buying a used Toyota Camry then going in with the mentality that "I'm not going to pay more that NADA" makes some sense, but on a more specialty vehicle, it is kind of putting the cart before the horse. Trust the market before you trust a book that tries to give a snapshot of the market for thousands of vehicles (and probably has a lot less data to work with when it comes to specialty vehicles like motorcycles.)

Geof
Old 04-02-2013, 02:19 PM   #41
dirtcrack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Just bought a 2005 R1200GS for $9,800. Had 10,200 miles on it, over $5,000 worth of accessories & farkles, always serviced by BMW dealer, looked like it had just rolled off the showroom floor. Not a scratch or speck of dirt or dust on it. Never been off-road, was owned by a man in his 50's. He kept it parked in his basement on carpet along with his other bikes. He had several other bikes and classic cars/jeeps and they all looked immaculate and like they were showroom new. Attention to detail is an understatement. I feel like I got an awesome deal. Value is in the eye of the beholder but I would rather pay a little extra for peace of mind when buying a used bike.
dirtcrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:50 PM   #42
pfiedler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
I just sold my alpine white '09 R1200GS for $14,800 with 6,600 miles on it. The deal included a Zumo 665 & locking Touratech GPS mount, Bags-Connection "Engage" tank bag, liner bags for the Vario side and top cases and a few other items that I had added over the 3 years of ownership. The bike was mint and the new owner is thrilled.
Now if only my '13 Thunder Gray R12GSW would show up!!!

Ride safe!
pfiedler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:53 PM   #43
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average_Joe View Post
.... they all looked immaculate and like they were showroom new. Attention to detail is an understatement.
Well said. To some buyers, it's important to have a bike that's been maintained cosmetically as well as mechanically. I recently sold a 2000 GS with 80,000 miles on it. People who didn't know better thought it was a new bike.
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:46 PM   #44
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by bemiiten View Post
Well said. To some buyers, it's important to have a bike that's been maintained cosmetically as well as mechanically. I recently sold a 2000 GS with 80,000 miles on it. People who didn't know better thought it was a new bike.
Same is said about my 120K mile 05 R1200GS I recently bought. The owner definitely rode it, but it is in great shape!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:34 PM   #45
genka
SUV hater

Oddometer: 1,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobframe View Post
I agree, getting people to participate and to be truthful would be a challenge. But setting this aside...how useful would it be? I guess the question is so obvious that you went straight to "implementation challenges".

My experience is that the data set "completed transactions" is pretty limited on eBay. But the idea is the same...data on completed transactions is highly valuable to the marketplace. Maybe its so valuable that buyers and sellers would pay to see it?

After all, its what drove the OP to ask his question in the first place.
Ebay keeps the completed transactions for a short time. I saved the data as PDF files. It takes time to build meaningful statistics. Ina any case, if you intend to keep the bike for a long time, it is more important to get what you want than to look for the very best deal.

Форум мотоциклистов в США http://www.xytopok.net/mvnforum/listthreads?forum=31
genka is offline   Reply With Quote