Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2013, 06:35 PM   #46
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,711
I bought a 09 R1200GS with about $2000.00 in add ons for $15,000. cash last year. Had 650 miles on it. Now has over 10,000. Sold my 01 R1150 and kept the 09. Sold my 01 for $6500.00 cash. It also had about $2000.00 in add-ons. Both great bikes. 01 has 56,000 miles on but well maintained.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:41 PM   #47
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,507
$10K for a lightly used early GS12 sounds about right.
Have fun, ride lots and stop looking for better deals (will only lead to grief)
Old 04-07-2013, 02:47 PM   #48
Paul_R_Canada
Still Upright

Oddometer: 55
Eek Need some advice...

I have been looking at a 2010 R1200GS, on the initial look and kicking the tires salesmen said it had 7k Km's (~4350 miles for my American friends)

It has the factory safety package and equipment package #2
Owner added a rear fender (machine moto)
It has black side and top rear bag (I don't know brand but they are much slimmer than the metal ones I've seen)
Slim drop bars / head protectors

I took it for a spin, display said next Maint was due at 13500 Km's, looked right, bike drives great and I was very happy with the ride etc for my first time on a GS.

On returning to the dealer I check the the bike over a bit, the bike has been dropped quite a few times, one side of the bars the weld had given way and the other side was not even screwed down.

I voiced that concern to the salesmen and he's said he'd look at it, I live 3 hrs away so he was to email me

So I get an email end of this week, with a quote for my trade and the BMW, mileage listed is over 21k now (13,000 American miles) not that that's a huge amount, but 3 times what he'd said it was. Under "warranty"is say not applicable" on the quote sheet.

Asking price 17,990 plus admin fee $299 and the usual license fees

At 7k Km's and the extras I was not seeing this as more than maybe 750 high but given the damage to the bars and the triple mileage I'm not feeling so good, and the trust level has dropped a lot... Honest mistake or what on his part.

The last thing bothering me is the display showing its next service.... If this is the real mileage I'm not so happy - has it been properly maintained...

I've moved to the fence now, any thoughts would be appreciated, the dealer is a BWM in Toronto, I've heard they are good but...

Thanks guys.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:13 PM   #49
Gun Smoke
Banned

Oddometer: 312
I've bought quite a few bikes and a big red flag for me is a ton of "farkles". Especially electrical stuff. It definitely lowers the value in my buyers opinion. I try to buy stuff that is bone stock. It says something about the seller and the bike. I won't even look at a bike that list the farkles in the listing. The sellers are always a pain in the ass and farkles are way overpriced. Sellers always seem to think they've done the bike a service but I disagree.

I bought my 11 Multistrada touring with 12k miles for $13.5k. The seller was asking $16K
I bought my 10 12GS with 24K miles for $9k the buyer was asking $12K.

One thing you have in your favor is few folks have ten thousand cash to drop on a toy so they want to finance. The buyer who shows up with cash has some pull.
Gun Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:19 AM   #50
Paul_R_Canada
Still Upright

Savy buyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun Smoke View Post
I've bought quite a few bikes and a big red flag for me is a ton of "farkles". Especially electrical stuff. It definitely lowers the value in my buyers opinion. I try to buy stuff that is bone stock. It says something about the seller and the bike. I won't even look at a bike that list the farkles in the listing. The sellers are always a pain in the ass and farkles are way overpriced. Sellers always seem to think they've done the bike a service but I disagree.

I bought my 11 Multistrada touring with 12k miles for $13.5k. The seller was asking $16K

One thing you have in your favor is few folks have ten thousand cash to drop on a toy so they want to finance. The buyer who shows up with cash has some pull.
Some good points, Gun Smoke. I've been told on several occasions how "worthless" the dealers think farkles are on a trade in, and how good they are on a bike they are selling.

Cash is definitely king
Old 04-08-2013, 06:16 AM   #51
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,579
Quote:

I disagree. A seller can strip off the farkles and sell them seperately for more but often doesn't want to hassle with them. I prefer the bike be in good shape and am not that concerned if it has farkles or not unless they are ones I would want anyhow.

I've sold my last couple of bikes fully farkled and the prospective buyers and I never hassled over price. I do not believe I am a pain in the ass to deal with.

Broad brushes and all that!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:15 AM   #52
mattjw916
never wears lip balm

Oddometer: 310
Quote:
This basically, and it holds true for BMW cars too. Plus some people just don't have any concept of aesthetics and make a perfectly good bike/car look ridiculous trying to "improve" it.

Bone stock (or a few tasteful additions that didn't require drilling/cutting/splicing anything) with a stack of maintenance records is what I look for when shopping around. Then again, bikes aren't all that expensive so sometimes it's just easier to buy new than dealing with someone else's headaches.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:31 AM   #53
ridewv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_R_Canada View Post
I have been looking at a 2010 R1200GS,...

It has the factory safety package and equipment package #2

It has black side and top rear bag (I don't know brand but they are much slimmer than the metal ones I've seen)

the bike has been dropped quite a few times, one side of the bars the weld had given way and the other side was not even screwed down.

mileage listed is over 21k now (13,000 American miles) ...Under "warranty"is say not applicable" on the quote sheet.

Asking price 17,990 plus admin fee $299 and the usual license fees

I've moved to the fence now, any thoughts would be appreciated, the dealer is a BWM in Toronto, I've heard they are good but...

Thanks guys.

A dinged 2010 with bags, 13k, no remaining warranty, for $18K? It's worth *maybe* $12K here. Are Canadian prices 50% higher?
2000 CB750
1993 R100R
ridewv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:53 PM   #54
Gun Smoke
Banned

Another big red flag for me is any monkeying with the suspension. Aftermarket parts, lowering parts, anything like that.

I'll be honest too. I'd scrutinize the hell out of any bike with an ADVrider sticker on it, wondering how many times it's been dropped off a mountain, submerged in a river, and how farked up it may be with farlkles added and removed over the years.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:16 PM   #55
genka
SUV hater

Oddometer: 1,576
Farkles like luggage and protection are almost always desirable. Electrics- I agree, can be hit or miss. But things like fuse panels are inexpensive and don't affect the price to begin with.

Форум мотоциклистов в США http://www.xytopok.net/mvnforum/listthreads?forum=31
genka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:19 PM   #56
Gun Smoke
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by genka View Post
Farkles like luggage and protection are almost always desirable. Electrics- I agree, can be hit or miss. But things like fuse panels are inexpensive and don't affect the price to begin with.
It's more of a state of mind of the owner for me. Heavy farklers sometimes tend to be tinkerers. "Hey I think it'd be a great idea to drop the final drive and inspect the splines; for the fun of it". To bad it's never sounded the same since lol.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:46 PM   #57
Paul_R_Canada
Still Upright

Farkles

I'M with Jim regarding the farkles for selling my rides, coming from Harley the farkles are inevitable for comfort and usability and I don't strip them off when I sell.

Serious farkle changes that cut into the wiring harness or alter bike geometry (think of a jacked up pickup) are no-nos for me

Certainly on this bike I'm looking at is overpriced, at 18k, I'm giving the dealer the benefit of the doubt until I hear back, then we'll talk . New a WC here in Canada starts at 18,500 and runs ~22k with the BMW option #1 toys.

I'm interested in getting a GSA with my 37 inch inseam, but would like a good used one for this year to cut my teeth on and see if I love it as much as I "think" I will.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:50 PM   #58
Paul_R_Canada
Still Upright

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
I've sold my last couple of bikes fully farkled and the prospective buyers and I never hassled over price. I do not believe I am a pain in the ass to deal with.
It's possible I'm more of a pain in the ass than Jim, I have not met him...yet
Old 04-08-2013, 07:56 PM   #59
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_R_Canada View Post
It's possible I'm more of a pain in the ass than Jim, I have not met him...yet
I sold my last, heavily farkled, GS to a nice older man in Nova Scocia. He flew down and rode it home. Last I heard it had doubled the miles and he was trouble free. A lot depends on the person doing the farkles.

Jim
Old 04-08-2013, 07:58 PM   #60
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
It's more of a state of mind of the owner for me. Heavy farklers sometimes tend to be tinkerers. "Hey I think it'd be a great idea to drop the final drive and inspect the splines; for the fun of it". To bad it's never sounded the same since lol.
To be honest, you sound like just the anal type I would never want to sell a bike to. Two years later and the fuel pump goes out you will be back looking for me to pay a dealer to fix it! Pass!

Jim