User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2013, 11:25 AM   #106
BigBearJoe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Just trying out my new signature line.

Six time consecutive Vegas to Reno Ironman finisher. Lover of desert motorcycle racing. Now navigating the world via power wheelchair.
BigBearJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:37 AM   #107
too old OP
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBearJoe View Post
Daily race reports from speedbrain racing
Quotes from the Competitors
Looks like the only female competitor that I can find, Camellia Liparoti, is in an 25th Pl. for the stage. Wonder what it's like for a female competitor in a Middle East rally?

Mike Johnson, only American motorcyclist, is an and 35th place. Anyone know background information on Mike?
Females - Just the same as the guy's, very few trees to piss against

Seriously though the UAE is good, the girls probably get a better deal than in some of the US States
too old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:44 AM   #108
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 22,654
Quote:
Abu Dhabi Challenge 2013: Helder Rodrigues hit by Jeremiah Israel

Posted by Carlos Pereira Photos , All Terrain , videos Apr 8, 2013

The sport participation of Helder Rodrigues was today seriously compromised in the Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge, the opening race of the World Championship All-Terrain, when Honda CRF 450 Rally official Portuguese driver was involved in a collision, off a dune by Jeremiah bike Chilean Israel.

" I came to the refueling zone at the head of a group of three riders. Right behind me came the Jeremiah [Israel] and [Joan] Barreda. Pulled for the second part of the course after Jeremiah warned the [Israel] that was rolling too close to the back of my bike, which was quite dangerous. Around km 160, a jump in a very large dune made ​​at the reception and the bike fell tombasse aside. Nothing complicated, but as Jeremiah [Israel] was right behind landed on my motorbike which was badly damaged , "he said the driver of the Honda, Red Bull and TMN.

" He had to be evacuated to the hospital heli and I kept ending up with the bike for him not to wait in the desert. Let's try to repair the bike to make the remaining trial days where I will try to do good results, as it was in this race in order to win. This is a type of accident that should not happen and thankfully it was not as bad as it could have been any one of us , "added the pilot.

Note that when Helder Rodrigues took the motorbike of Israel Jeremiah found that the roadbook was at km138, which means that the youngster Chilean vineyard just below the Portuguese driver, without looking at the roodbook.
However, to emphasize victory in step-mate Helder Rodrigues Honda Team, Sam Sunderland.
Looks like Israel glued himself to Helder's back wheel instead of bothering to navigate himself and Helder was not liking that. The hazards with which the aliens need to deal....

I see two very interesting points, first that Israel's roadbook was a good 25-30 km behind meaning he gave up trying to navigate or it broke so he had no choice, and second that Helder talks about the remaining stages. I need to dig into the FIM regulations for completing the stage/swapping bikes etc... I assumed it was forbidden, but I am also assuming Dakar rules.

RallyRaidReview - @RallyRaidReview
doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:59 AM   #109
Gian
dreamer

Oddometer: 1,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle View Post
I see two very interesting points, first that Israel's roadbook was a good 25-30 km behind meaning he gave up trying to navigate or it broke so he had no choice...

On the Italian Motorally championship you MUST be always on the right note (and there are up to 500 notes in 200 km course). They almost always put a secret check point, even within a special stage, so you have to stop and they check the note. If you are not on the righ note (with 2 notes tolerance, you get a 15 minutes penalty!
Gian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:00 PM   #110
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

OK, rules clarified via Chavo. Helder can continue with a "1 million hour penalty" (Chavo's words)

Helder is shown lugging along an extra 14h40'00". He's out of the running for the win so I have to ask, since it seems HRC have given up further development on this version of the bike, what does Helder have to gain besides seat time and possible stage wins? Is it worth the potential risks? At his level, would it be more prudent to save the body to fight again another day?

Old 04-08-2013, 12:02 PM   #111
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gian View Post

On the Italian Motorally championship you MUST be always on the right note (and there are up to 500 notes in 200 km course). They almost always put a secret check point, even within a special stage, so you have to stop and they check the note. If you are not on the righ note (with 2 notes tolerance, you get a 15 minutes penalty!
Could be that his roadbook broke, but I don't know either way. Jeremias posts a lot on twitter so I assume he will tell his story once the medical side is sorted.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:04 PM   #112
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,244
wonder if kuba got lost leading or just a glitch ?
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:06 PM   #113
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,544
Why wouldn't Helder stay in the race, and lead all those who follow him off in the wrong direction to make a point!
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:31 PM   #114
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
Why wouldn't Helder stay in the race, and lead all those who follow him off in the wrong direction to make a point!
Perhaps it's a point that needs to be made. Unfortunately, with the relatively short stages in regards to the previous few Dakar's, the emphasis has shifted a bit from smart navigating to outright speed and technical prowess. Despres was pretty vocal about it in January, at least much more vocal than in years past.

Helder wouldn't win himself any friends, but you're right, maybe this point is well beyond due.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:38 PM   #115
too old OP
Keen supporter

Quote:
Perhaps it's a point that needs to be made. Unfortunately, with the relatively short stages in regards to the previous few Dakar's, the emphasis has shifted a bit from smart navigating to outright speed and technical prowess. Despres was pretty vocal about it in January, at least much more vocal than in years past.

Helder wouldn't win himself any friends, but you're right, maybe this point is well beyond due.
You are spot on here boys (oops and Mum) - I can't speak for any of the other young guns, but on the one I can, Sam spends hours and hours preparing and using road books and takes his navigation as a very serious aspect of the sport
Old 04-08-2013, 12:42 PM   #116
too old OP
Keen supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxmum View Post
Well as long as Sam does not follow him !!

I would not be surprised to see Helder win the stage tomorrow if the bike is fixed starting from the back.
Then the next day he can lead off and divert Coma and Concalves
Old 04-08-2013, 12:45 PM   #117
too old OP
Keen supporter

Sorry for being a pain all - stuck in an airport lounge in Sri Lanka on the way back to Dubai, what else to do?
Old 04-08-2013, 01:03 PM   #118
too old OP
Keen supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
wonder if kuba got lost leading or just a glitch ?
I recall he said it was tough being at the front navigating! Back on that issue again, but you need confidence and skill, to push it out there!
Old 04-08-2013, 01:10 PM   #119
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Quote:
Originally Posted by too old View Post
I recall he said it was tough being at the front navigating! Back on that issue again, but you need confidence and skill, to push it out there!
Add to that Chavo told me the pace is lightning fast. As he described it a "long motocross in the dunes". A local caught up to him in the second half of the stage so Juan Carlos let him show the way.

Hard to open the stage and keep pace when the pace is so fast.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:22 PM   #120
too old OP
Keen supporter

Quote:
Add to that Chavo told me the pace is lightning fast. As he described it a "long motocross in the dunes". A local caught up to him in the second half of the stage so Juan Carlos let him show the way.
Probably a Bedu in a Toyota off home for lunch
Attached Images