ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 07:46 PM   #1
Eric R. Shelton OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
I hate living in Fargo. Help change my mind.

I moved to Fargo with work from AZ and then Las Vegas, NM. I'm used to bigger cities and having mountains with curvy and fun roads to ride. Now it's all flat, straight and boring with low speed limits. Blizzards, flooding and "motorcycle season"?!?!

So do I just need to re-adjust my viewpoint, or are there some roads in the region you guys can point me to? I'm going to be based in Fargo for probably another two years- please help me out and point out what I'm missing! Help re-align my perspective.
Eric R. Shelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:53 PM   #2
Hank.SD
Cut and Paste Engr

Oddometer: 1,249
You can ride over to the DL (Detroit Lakes) MN area and find a few curves. Actually quite a few, but its flat enough its not exactly "twisties". The scenery is much better though and its a very nice area. There is some minor off roading to be had around Vergas.

Head an hour east of DL to Akeley and you'll love that area if you're into single tracking. The Paul Bunyan Forest has a great off road area.

I'm in eastern SD and this area is not great for on-road sport riding.

I go to Akeley often and out to the Black Hills as often as I can to stay sane.
Hank.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:59 AM   #3
Northwoods Yeti
Almost house broken

Oddometer: 2,645
Thumb

Attend this: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=828754

Wondeful riding street, dirt everything in between. Great beer, food and Inmates. Take US2 scenic [lake Superior] and it's shorter 430 miles only.

http://cadvrider.com/index.html/
Northwoods Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:02 PM   #4
Hektoglider
Expedition Style ADV

Oddometer: 2,458
There's a tourist brochure titled " North Dakota Motorcycle roads" or something like that. When I did 2 years of "hard time" working in southern Sask, it was the weekend bike trips that kept me sane. Grab a map & look for the rural roads that follow the river valleys or any geography, hills etc. You will find some cool routes and camping spots. Each weekend I explored a different area and grew to like the difference in terrain. The Great Plains. There's history there. My best trip was a 4 day weekend ride. That was the longest ride I was able to pull off in 2 years working. I knew my time out there was not forever so I made the best of it. Adventure is often right in your backyard if you take a moment to look for it.
A big 10-4 on the Minnesota riding close to you also near Brainerd plus go see some races. Aerostich Rally yea that too. It all depends how much holiday time you get. I can live anywhere if they let me loose for 2 months a year . The 2 years of full time almost cracked my sprit
Old 03-29-2013, 03:50 PM   #5
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 8,825
Cool2

I used to live in Fargo.

Moved down here. I ride up there every spring to visit the folks.

You have to head East about 40 miles. Good stuff starts around Detroit Lakes. Head to Pelican Rapids and ride all over the F'n place. Great roads around the lakes!
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:11 PM   #6
Hank.SD
Cut and Paste Engr

Oddometer: 1,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hektoglider View Post

Nice Pic. I'd have fun riding there!
Hank.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:26 AM   #7
Hektoglider
Expedition Style ADV

Oddometer: 2,458
Exploring in the prairies is ok. Most people blast right through trying to get somewhere. If you are on the main highway you will not see much, but running the rural secondary roads you will begin to see more and ride with the contour of the land.
A short ways north of you is Turtle Mtn, and Lake Metagoshe. Pretty busy little lake, some pleasant roads around it. Also the Pembina valley can be explored as well.

http://m.byways.org/states/ND

Old 03-31-2013, 09:29 AM   #8
CATGS
Bourbon consumer

Oddometer: 705
PM me if you want to go for a ride.. I moved to the FM area in February 2012.. I have made the best of it. Meet a local BMW rider and he showed me around the DL area.. The lakes country and Valley City area are the routes I take...
CATGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:30 PM   #9
lbever
IAMX454

Oddometer: 54
Start drinking

I live in Iowa and that is bad enough. Sister-in-law lived in Bismark for 15 years only made it up there once, that was enough for me. She saw the light and moved to Mesa last July.
My best recommendation is to head for the Black Hills. Great road riding and dirt biking. 685 mile trip for us, have been going making a least one trip a year for last 20 years. Don't recommend going during Sturgis, to many people. Have been staying at Recreational Springs south of Lead for the past several years.
We are planning on moving to Mesa in the next few years, bought a lot in east Mesa this last winter.
2011 KTM 300XC (Awesome race bike) (sold)
2004 GAS GAS 280 Trials
lbever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:43 PM   #10
BossMaverick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
For weekday evening rides, get used to flatness.

For day trips, head east to lake country. I suggest picking up a free MN road map at the Moorhead rest stop and finding some curvy highways to explorer. Many of the highways curve around lakes and those will be your best curves in the immediate area.

For a 3 or 4 day weekend trip, head over to Duluth and then north (a goal while you live in Fargo should be the Gunflint Trail via North Shore Drive).

I will admit that nothing around Fargo (or even in MN) is as good as being in the mountains in a state that has more generous speed limits.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:53 PM   #11
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbever View Post
I live in Iowa and that is bad enough. Sister-in-law lived in Bismark for 15 years only made it up there once, that was enough for me. She saw the light and moved to Mesa last July.
My best recommendation is to head for the Black Hills. Great road riding and dirt biking. 685 mile trip for us, have been going making a least one trip a year for last 20 years. Don't recommend going during Sturgis, to many people. Have been staying at Recreational Springs south of Lead for the past several years.
We are planning on moving to Mesa in the next few years, bought a lot in east Mesa this last winter.
No help for the Fargo area, but from Clive, IA - don't get me wrong, I love the Black Hills, but I would go down to Arkansas, much closer.
Not quite as good as AR, but even closer would be SW Wisconsin.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...orcycleriders/
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:34 PM   #12
barnyard
Verbal tactician

Oddometer: 10,133
Propforward has said that he wants to spend this riding season exploring more to the west.

I like the suggestions I have seen so far.

To the south of you is the glacial lakes region of SD. Where there are lakes, there are curvy roads.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:55 AM   #13
propforward
PIE! Freakazoid

Oddometer: 10,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnyard View Post
Propforward has said that he wants to spend this riding season exploring more to the west.

I've got pie and BBQ places lined up in readiness.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:17 AM   #14
lbever
IAMX454

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdsp View Post
No help for the Fargo area, but from Clive, IA - don't get me wrong, I love the Black Hills, but I would go down to Arkansas, much closer.
Not quite as good as AR, but even closer would be SW Wisconsin.

I have rode in Arkansas and southern Missouri for years also, dirt and street. Some of the best roads I have ever ridden are in Arkansas.
Thinking on heading to Chadwick next weekend for some dirt riding, since we can't seem to shake winter.
I was just suggesting somewhere to go from Fargo.
2011 KTM 300XC (Awesome race bike) (sold)
2004 GAS GAS 280 Trials
lbever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:19 AM   #15
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbever View Post
I have rode in Arkansas and southern Missouri for years also, dirt and street. Some of the best roads I have ever ridden are in Arkansas.
Thinking on heading to Chadwick next weekend for some dirt riding, since we can't seem to shake winter.
I was just suggesting somewhere to go from Fargo.
Gotcha
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...orcycleriders/
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote