ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2013, 08:41 PM   #16
Eric R. Shelton OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Thanks for all the input, guys! My wife is pretty excited about riding when I get back- less so at how I keep insisting she get some decent gear and the price of it... Her reaction to what a good jacket costs was funny, makes me forget how much of this hobby I take for granted. She's already planning some rides for us through the Black Hills, to Mt. Rushmore, etc.

We'll be on my '11 BMW R1200R. For a mix of camping and B&Bs, would you guys suggest getting a top case, or strapping a tent, sleeping bag, etc. to a naked luggage rack?

Also, it looks like I'll have to go to the cities for the closest BMW dealer/parts. Any input on a favored shop to haunt?

Hektoglider- GREAT photos and thanks for your insight. I'm stuck in Afghanistan for another two weeks, and the absence has made it easier for me to get excited about stuff! Already looking at Brainerd; now you've got me eyeing the less-traveled roads.
Eric R. Shelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:22 PM   #17
barnyard
Verbal tactician

Oddometer: 10,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric R. Shelton View Post
Also, it looks like I'll have to go to the cities for the closest BMW dealer/parts. Any input on a favored shop to haunt?
Moon Motors in Monticello is having their open house this weekend. Pretty sure a bunch of us are going to hang out and mosey over to the other side of the interstate for late lunch (I think it was around 2p last year.) I would think about the same time this year.

Just blast down 94 and get off at the 1st Monti exit. You will see the dealer before the exit. They will probably be 'your' dealer.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:44 PM   #18
Eric R. Shelton OP
Adventurer

Like I said, I'm in Afghanistan for another two weeks.

I looked up Moon, Hitching Post, and Leo's South online. Not terribly hopeful from any of the websites, but I'm going to chalk it up to culture shock for now. Back in Tucson and Las Vegas the BMW dealers were almost exclusively BMW, and the twin cities' dealers carry so much else I have a tiny bit of fear that my brand is overlooked. Leo's seems to carry a lot of other European stuff though, so that looks good. Even if their website is almost identical to Hitching Post...

I'd rather not drive all the way down to Omaha (Holy crap! How did I wind up so far north that Omaha is "down"?!), but that may be exactly what I wind up doing.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:38 AM   #19
propforward
Mime Hurler

Oddometer: 12,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric R. Shelton View Post
I looked up Moon, Hitching Post, and Leo's South online. Not terribly hopeful from any of the websites, but I'm going to chalk it up to culture shock for now. Back in Tucson and Las Vegas the BMW dealers were almost exclusively BMW, and the twin cities' dealers carry so much else I have a tiny bit of fear that my brand is overlooked.
Thank you for your service - I'm assuming that's why you're out there.

Your fears regarding Moon and Leos BMW are unfounded. Driving to Omaha instead of visiting these dealers would be pointless. These dealers simply understand that there are other good bikes as well.

Indiana Jones wears one.
propforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:45 PM   #20
Eric R. Shelton OP
Adventurer

Thanks, propforward. I actually got an email reply from Moon, and they have most everything I asked about, got me fair price estimates, and don't mind if I install stuff in their lots rather than pay their service dept. to do it. All in all, I've got a good vibe! They even carry stuff that's not on their website (I think it was mostly bad site design that made me nervous).

I didn't mean to sound as if I was slighting other makes of motorcycle. I've just seen enough confusion on which part number fit which model year even at dedicated BMW dealers that I was afraid it would be even harder to get answers. But it was not so! Shane at Moon is really on top of things and has me even more anxious to get back home so I can farkle up my bike!
Old 04-05-2013, 05:50 PM   #21
propforward
Mime Hurler

Oddometer: 12,429
Moon are a top notch dealer, very friendly folks. I would have no qualms buying a bike there at all. In fact, I'll talk to them about that tomorrow as it happens.

Indiana Jones wears one.
propforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:42 AM   #22
dufferv65
yeeHa

Oddometer: 45
I lived in Fargo for 3 years and really got to liking it... It's a neat town with plenty of things to do. For starters, I'd recommend going to a Fargo Force(hockey) game at the Scheels arena. I've had to drag people there not thinking they would like it and now they go to their games quite often! Also a recommendation is going to JL Beers, I think they have one of the best burgers you can get at a restaurant!

Riiding...
generally speaking Fargo is pretty flat and depressing when it comes to hilly terrain and mountains. Although some cool spots to ride in town would include the parks by the red river with Lindenwood being the coolest, with there little scenic drive-thru path thru the park. Also Sheynne st from west fargo to Horace is pretty neat... But if you want to get to the near by good riding you need to cross the boarder in to mn, instant trees and lakes. Some people have mentioned DL (Detroit Lakes), I always enjoyed riding around there! here is my favorite route I found to get there... http://www.mapquest.com/?version=1.0&hk=5-66m3jjO6

Every time I drove through there I had a weak spot for driving by the beach, generally there can be some nice scenery there! while you drive through there stopping to eat a Zorbaz is a must! some people say it over priced but they have to die for pizza and there other food is very good! While you're in MN check out Itaska state Park, it is north of park rapids about 10-15 miles. There is a big long ,10mile or so, one way nature loop there and a cool fire look out tower you can go up in.

Although the winters are long, cool, and boring, the summers are very nice and it doesn't get over 90 very often. When I was there I don't think the mercury ever roes past 100!! I hope you find some of my advice useful!
Old 04-07-2013, 11:57 PM   #23
Eric R. Shelton OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dufferv65 View Post
Also a recommendation is going to JL Beers, I think they have one of the best burgers you can get at a restaurant!
The burgers have been hit-or-miss for the "best" title. They're never bad, but they haven't topped the Greek burger they had for a limited time. That thing was incredible! But the beer selection is amazing, they carry Weihenstephaner from time to time... GREAT place.

Thanks for the recommendations on where to ride and Zorbaz! The countdown to getting to check all this stuff out is drawing closer!
Old 04-08-2013, 06:11 AM   #24
barnyard
Verbal tactician

For Mexican food, I would ride through Pelican Rapids (on the way to Maplewood State Park) and stop at the place on the north side of town on the west side of 59. I do not remember the name, but I stop there whenever we go up that way (I have friends that live between PR and Rollag.)
Old 04-08-2013, 06:17 PM   #25
CATGS
Bourbon consumer

Oddometer: 713
2nd Zorbaz's... Great pizza. If you are looking for some other great eats in the FM area try the Hodo, Maxwell's and Usher house..
CATGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:22 PM   #26
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,698
Mexican food in Mn, that scares me...
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:39 PM   #27
barnyard
Verbal tactician

Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Made by immigrants that speak very little English. The beauty part of Mn, is chicken and turkey processing that hires lots of immigrants. Lots of immigrants = fantastic variety of delicious noms.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:45 PM   #28
Eric R. Shelton OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
My wife's and my experience so far, this is pretty much right. We're both southern AZ natives, so when we get a hankering for tacos or good salsa we just make it ourselves!

But for as small as Fargo is, they still had a SmashBurger before Tucson!
Old 04-09-2013, 11:37 AM   #29
Hank.SD
Jet Measurer

Oddometer: 1,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by dufferv65 View Post
...... Zorbaz is a must! some people say it over priced...

Zorbaz is sorta cool, but overpriced? Hell yes!

Eric do you ride offroad? Duffer will also tell you - don't miss the Akeley single track if you're into that kind of thing! You're more than welcome to join us up there a time or two this summer.
Hank.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:50 PM   #30
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 10,084
Who cares if Zorbaz is expensive, beer prices are average. And try the Macho Nachos! Location, location, location...

I have to hit the one up by McGregor on Sandy and Grand Rapids to complete my Pazzport!
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote