User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2013, 04:26 AM   #1
ststrider OP
some guy on a bike

Oddometer: 363
mitas e-09 dakar

has anyone run the mitas e-09 dakar tires? i am thinking about trying a set and wondered if anyone has tried them out yet.i apologize in advance if this starts another tire wars thread.i would be putting them on a 950 se.

ststrider screwed with this post 05-26-2013 at 01:57 PM
ststrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:50 AM   #2
guysalami
<put custom title here>

Oddometer: 34
Been running one on the rear for the last 3000km, I like it. Good off road grip and much better than I expected on pavement. At the current wear rate I expect that I might get about 4500km out of it. There are some complaints about lateral traction on gravel, I haven't found it to be a big issue but I think other tires may be better here. No idea on the front, it didnt look the part for me, I like a tkc80 up front and will probably stick with that.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:18 AM   #3
SLIV3R
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
E09 Dakar Front

I have the E09 Dakar on my front with a E10 on the back for the last 3000km and the front should last another 1500-2000km I think.
The E09 front has been working very well off road it grips very well in all terrain even the mud and sand.

As for road use it works as well as a knobby tyre can on tar.
I took it through some tight mountain passes and it felt very planted just make sure you dont get on the front breaks too hard otherwise it will loose grip very quickly.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:27 AM   #4
guysalami
<put custom title here>

Oddometer: 34
The E-09 knobs look very short in pictures which kept me away. Do you know how long they are fresh and what sort of life are you seeing out of the front?
Old 05-29-2013, 09:17 AM   #5
ststrider OP
some guy on a bike

Oddometer: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeee View Post
The E-09 knobs look very short in pictures which kept me away. Do you know how long they are fresh and what sort of life are you seeing out of the front?
That was my concern as well,I thought they looked similar to the tck80 which worked well on everything but mud and loose sand.and I happen to ride a lot of loamy sand and greasy mud.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:50 AM   #6
SLIV3R
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeee View Post
The nobs aren't as big as a full enduro bike tyre but they are a similar size to the other tyres in there class and definately big enough to give you some decent offroad grip.
Im guessing the front will get about 6000-7000km maybe a little bit more before its not really dirt worthy any more it all depends how much road vs dirt you are doing with it.
I have noticed the first 1000km the front wears a lot faster then the wear rate slows down so it may give a bit more millage.
Highway use does hurt it quite a bit so if you are doing that quite a bit Im sure it would wear a lot faster.

Right now the tyre is about 50% used and I took it out for a weekend in the mountains a few weeks back and I was riding on wet clay roads which it was handling fine and after that we went up into the mountain with some rocky single track and some areas with no tracks at all and I never had any issues with grip.

From what I have heard from other guys the tyre works a lot like the Michelin T63 if that helps at all.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:19 AM   #7
Snowhite808
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Laugh E09 - dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ststrider View Post
has anyone run the mitas e-09 dakar tires? i am thinking about trying a set and wondered if anyone has tried them out yet.i apologize in advance if this starts another tire wars thread.i would be putting them on a 950 se.
I run an enlightened 950. I run intermediate pace at best offroad and experienced onroad.
On lighter and weaker bikes they seem to have superb longevity. Never is nor could be the same case with the LC8.
Dry grip is good and they humm very little. The rear is planted and front is a little rough, but it is a tyre with very strong carcass. Wet grip - another story.
Something like the K60 and the E07 and so on - they let got suddenly. No warning no scuealing - nothing. Just spin up and go. So be careful.
In the dirt - compared to lets say K60 scout, they are almost 90/10 tyres. With little effort on grass, mud, sand, and gravel roads they go. Just the front is a bit harsh - it is one of the smallest 90/90 tyre I have ever seen. Compared to the original scorpion it is like 1/4 the size smaller.
Due to very strong sidewalls - low pressure runs are no problem and of course the tyre change is a bitch.
I run 2.4bar in front and 2.5 back on roads and will probably get 7-9k km from the front and similar from the rear if I can behave.

And I like the yellow stripe
Snowhite808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:58 AM   #8
NeptuneTriton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
I ride a 2009 KLR650, so I'm a little lighter and slower However, I've had great results so far. When my Heideneau's (K60 Scout) finally wore out after almost 12K miles, I decided to switch it up and went with the Midas E09 Dakar.

I have 3,000K miles on them so far and I'm pretty impressed! They're not as quiet and smooth as the K60's, but not much louder either. I had Dunlop D606s mounted at one point and they hummed so loud I HAD to wear ear plugs! I couldn't wait to get them off the bike. The E09's humm a little bit, but not much, so I'm a happy camper.

I ride wet pavement for commuting 5 days week (Seattle) and haven't had any issues in the rain with them. Expect some reduced braking capability due to the knobby factor, so give yourself a little extra room when stopping. They handle corners well and don't wander like my 606's did. They got a little squirmy at 70-75mph when they were brand new, but I haven't had any problems with that once they broke in. Front tire is wearing slightly faster than the rear, but I expect to get about 6K out of them at this wear rate.

On dirt, they rock! The added grip makes up for any pavement inconveniences and they help make up for the lackluster suspension of the KLR in harsh off road conditions. The thicker bead wall makes them perform well when aired down, so that's an added bonus.
NeptuneTriton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:00 PM   #9
KTMADV
Hammer Down

Oddometer: 166
I ran the Mitas E-09 Dakar rear front C-21 on my ktm 990 adventure.
The tires got good tracking on a resent trip to Nevada on the V2R course. After 300 miles the tires felt loose and the rear tire got flats easy by rocks going in. Tires only lasted 500 miles tops.

New

500 miles. Pin points to rock that went in.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:57 PM   #10
mjt1577
MinisterOfSillyWalks

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeptuneTriton View Post
I ride a 2009 KLR650, so I'm a little lighter and slower However, I've had great results so far. When my Heideneau's (K60 Scout) finally wore out after almost 12K miles, I decided to switch it up and went with the Midas E09 Dakar.

I have 3,000K miles on them so far and I'm pretty impressed! They're not as quiet and smooth as the K60's, but not much louder either. I had Dunlop D606s mounted at one point and they hummed so loud I HAD to wear ear plugs! I couldn't wait to get them off the bike. The E09's humm a little bit, but not much, so I'm a happy camper.

I ride wet pavement for commuting 5 days week (Seattle) and haven't had any issues in the rain with them. Expect some reduced braking capability due to the knobby factor, so give yourself a little extra room when stopping. They handle corners well and don't wander like my 606's did. They got a little squirmy at 70-75mph when they were brand new, but I haven't had any problems with that once they broke in. Front tire is wearing slightly faster than the rear, but I expect to get about 6K out of them at this wear rate.

On dirt, they rock! The added grip makes up for any pavement inconveniences and they help make up for the lackluster suspension of the KLR in harsh off road conditions. The thicker bead wall makes them perform well when aired down, so that's an added bonus.
Glad to see another KLR owner trying these tires...I've got an E09 Dakar to put on the rear (130/80-17) but the tire is a lot wider than the K60 Scout that I have on now, and I'm thinking I'll have problems with clearance on the chainguard. I'm on a 2006 KLR...did you have any issues with the width of the tire? Guess some surgery on the chainguard may be in order!
mjt1577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:44 PM   #11
Richard KTM990
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Not so happy with the Mitas E-09

Hi All,

This is my first post, so a little introduction... I'm a South African who rides a 2008 KTM 990 Adv EFi, with the 265mm R suspension retrofit, and the ABS completely removed. My riding is about 50/50 (on/off road). I've been riding since 1981, and have owned several bikes, including a number of MX/Enduro machines, including 70's model Beemers.

I took my 990 out for a ride last Friday. The route saw me on about 300km of dirt roads and tracks. No tyre problems there, and all was well.

On the way back, I decided to head straight home on the freeway. The bike was configured with SW Motech Trax panniers/topbox, and the total weight loaded on the bike was about 120 KG, including me (97 kg).

I rode at 170 Km/h for about 20 minutes, on the freeway (excellent tar surface), and when stopping at a toll-gate, was informed by a motorist, that my rear tyre was smoking, and that "bits" were flying off as I passed him.

(I'm grateful that he decided to get out and tell me!!)

The tyre had started melting, a number of the "knobs" had departed, and the tread had begun to separate from the carcass.

My question is as follows: Is it unreasonable to use knobblies in this fashion, and is this result to be expected? OR... Is there a problem with these tyres?

I'd like to post pics... Please tell me how.
Richard KTM990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:06 AM   #12
SLIV3R
Adventurer

Hi Richard welcome from a fellow South African

Knobblies don't do well at all at high speed especially when your bike is loaded. So yes that would be why they starting coming apart.
Basically they build up a lot more heat and the tyre melts so if you want the tyre to last a bit better on Tar you need to stick to about 130km/h.

You should try using the Mitas E-10 they give quite a bit more millage because the blocks are bigger. Also when you put them on you need to heat cycle them for about 150km just ride them gently so no hard acceleration.
This just helps bed the tyre in and it seems to last a bit longer.

I can get an E10 to last about 4000km by doing that using it 50/50.
It is very dependant on your type of riding if you ride it very hard on the road and at high speed for extended time you are looking at getting about 800km even from the E10.
If you are doing a lot of road riding most guys I ride with switch back to the standard Scorpions as they are still one of the best road biased tyres for the big KTM.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:45 AM   #13
Richard KTM990
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Thanks SLIV3R... Howzit!

That makes good sense, and I'll just need to take it easy on tar... Better yet, I'll get a second set of wheels for road use.

Anyone able to tell me how to post pics on this forum?

Regards,

Richard
Richard KTM990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:19 AM   #14
SLIV3R
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard KTM990 View Post
Thanks SLIV3R... Howzit!

That makes good sense, and I'll just need to take it easy on tar... Better yet, I'll get a second set of wheels for road use.

Anyone able to tell me how to post pics on this forum?

Regards,

Richard
Yeah the second set of wheels is a good option if you have the spare cash.

You need to host the pics on another site like Photobucket
Then on your post you use IMG tags Eg:
Code:
[I MG]http://InsertHostURL[/I MG]
Just remove the spaces in the IMG
Old 06-23-2013, 02:54 PM   #15
NeptuneTriton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjt1577 View Post
Glad to see another KLR owner trying these tires...I've got an E09 Dakar to put on the rear (130/80-17) but the tire is a lot wider than the K60 Scout that I have on now, and I'm thinking I'll have problems with clearance on the chainguard. I'm on a 2006 KLR...did you have any issues with the width of the tire? Guess some surgery on the chainguard may be in order!
Nope, no problems with the rear fitting. My chain guard was leaning slightly inboard at first, which barely contacted the tire. I simply straightened it by hand and no issues.
NeptuneTriton is offline   Reply With Quote