ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2013, 08:57 AM   #1
Pork-Chop Express OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Super Duke Tachometer Problems

Hi,
I have a 2008 Super Duke that had the instrument cluster replaced with the 2010 version due to the original leaking water and breaking completely. The new instrument cluster has been on there for a little under 2 years now and recently the tachometer has been having issues. Usually, after about 45 minutes to an hour of riding the tach will start reading very low rpm's. Eventually, idle will start showing as zero rpm's on the tach and at full throttle the tach will only go up to about 4,000 rpm's. I can tell the engine is actually idling and revving perfectly but the tach is giving false readings for some reason?

The last time I went riding the tach had a new trick where it showed idle as 4,000 rpm's and just twisting the throttle slightly would push the tach to redline. Again, the engine is working perfectly it's the tachometer itself that's acting strange. Then once the bike cools back down the tach goes back to giving proper readings again.

I know some guys have had their instruments give false readings when their batteries and or regulators start going bad. I'm probably going to replace both since I'm still on the originals and figure it's only a matter of time until they leave me stranded. Maybe that will fix the problem, I'm really hoping it's not another faulty instrument cluster because they are very expensive and their reliability appears to be pretty poor. I did check the voltage on the battery, it's around 12.6V when cold after not having been run for several days. With the engine running the voltage holds at a steady 14.35V. Could it be that as the regulator heats up it eventually starts to drop voltage? I've never actually tested it after a long ride or anything to know if that could be happening.

I know the SMT and Adventure share the same instrument cluster as the SD so I was wondering have you guys experienced any problems like what I've described with your tachometer? If so, how did you fix it?

Thanks!

Sean
Pork-Chop Express is offline   Reply With Quote