Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2013, 06:21 AM   #1
BigMan73 OP
Binary Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Cool2 Stromputer PCB Group Buy

Hello everyone,
About 18 months ago I started a DIY project for the V-Strom that allowed showing a few metrics that I felt where missing on the motorcycle:
1. Battery Level
2. Gear Indication
3. Ambient Air Temperature

Initially I called the project 'The Mk1B', and later renamed it to Stromputer (a combination of V-Strom and Computer)

I decided to make this project open source and free for non commercial usage.

After a few months of research and development, I got to a fully working prototype that I installed on my 2011 V-Strom 650 ABS. It works to date, fully functional and reliable.

Here is a video of the Stromputer in action:

The original prototype (AKA V1 or Version 1) cost me about $150 to manufacture, cheaper than buying a typical after market gear indicator.
About 6 months ago, I decided to have a second version of the Stromputer, that would be much cheaper to manufacture - the new design (called V2 or Version 2) is smaller, more efficient, and would cost only about $70.

At that time a few other v-strom riders joined the project as builders.
Bringing new skills to the table, we were able to work as a group and come up with new ideas. One of the ideas was the have a custom PCB that would have all the components on it, instead of using a generic PCB. That would make the project much easier to produce, would lower costs, reduce build time and increase quality in an order of magnitude (e.g. clean through hole soldering instead of soldering with wire).
The PCB would also allow easy fitting onto a cheap off-the-shelf water proof enclosure .

The V3 (or Version 3) design is based on the V2 design but will use the PCB.

In order to make Stromputer V3 easy to produce, we now want to start producing the first batch of PCBs! The estimated price for 100 PCBs is about $460, which would be effectively $5 a piece + shipping (~$6 in the USA). (for comparison 50 PCBs would cost $407 to manufacture, or $8 per PCB, and 25 PCBs would cost $340, or $14 per PCB)
Obviously we want to get to 100 PCBs for a lower cost per unit.
Shipping - We're thinking of making one batch that would be sent to us, and then we would send cheap flat rate USPS envelopes to the builders.

We are a no profit project, so there is really no profit here, these are bare metal costs. We've put hundreds of hours into this project, and we're into it not for the money, but for the fun of creating something new and exciting that is functional and adds real value to the riding experience.

This is how the PCB looks:

See more info about the PCB:
http://stromputer.wikispaces.com/V3_PCB

Stromputer can work on any V-Strom, even though the new 2012+ DL-650 (AKA 'Glee') have a gear indicator so that might be redundant. But there are other cool features which are planned for Stromputer, so the functionality can be easily expanded - for example: Digital Compass, Altitude meter, Humidity sensor, GPS logger, Connecting to your phone and sending/displaying SMS messages, etc.

Also, Stromputer is really not limited to V-Stroms. It can be installed on other motorcycles. The gear indicator might be the only functionality that needs disabling, only if the motorcycle doesn't provide that (i.e. there is no wire with the current gear voltage).

And, Stromputer can also be used as a development platform for any Arduino based project. Having a PCB with many features on it (e.g. on board automotive ready 5V voltage regulator, more IO ports, on board LEDs, and other features) that resides in an optional water proof enclosure, is an amazing way to build your DIY project in a robust way.

If you're interested please let us know.
This is the first and special batch. After that we might be going for a KickStarter project and mass production.

The project links:
1. Wiki - http://stromputer.wikispaces.com/
2. Source code - stromputer - Display enhancement for Suzuki V-Strom motorcycles (and others) based on Arduino - Google Project Hosting
3. Project Management - https://trello.com/board/stromputer/...17ac9561004bf8
4. Main Project Thread (Forum) - "Stromputer is Alive" http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-20...ter-alive.html

Please use this thread for the PCB Group Buy, any other question should go to the main project thread.

Thanks!

Stromputer (V1 Prototype, fully functional and installed on my bike):
Suzuki V-Strom (Stromtrooper) Wiki
BigMan73 is offline   Reply With Quote