Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2013, 09:54 AM   #151
MOFOREST
forest explorer

Oddometer: 23
Great ride report, I wish I would have done this when I was younger. Its great to see fellow Christians on ADV. If your ever interested in an adv trip in the Missouri Ozarks look me up.
MOFOREST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:50 PM   #152
Phipsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
Hey Evan, great ride report. You must be a true Christian. I would not have been so forgiving toward that joker who was putting down your faith, your size, and being an American.

I can tell you that not everyone in Canada feels that way.

If you ever get a chance to take another bike trip out West to Yellowstone it would be worth it to head north from the Park to Hwy 212 The Beartooth Pass. It is amazingly beautiful and an utterly thrilling ride.

I would highly recommend getting off the Interstate and taking in some more of your wonderful National Parks, especially in the West.
Phipsd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:15 AM   #153
Yamarocket630
Honey Badger

Oddometer: 452
Great RR so far. As it's been said before, it's really nice to read a report about an average guy (or girl) doing a ride on an average bike. The just-because-I-can ride reports on the $$$ Beemers get old quick.
Yamarocket630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:08 PM   #154
zingo
@ ?

Oddometer: 27
Great Rides

Wonderful Reports.Thank You Sir
zingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 04:31 PM   #155
Woodenveins
Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 477
Thoroughly enjoy this report, keep it coming.
Woodenveins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:43 PM   #156
Sevoman
Ever Vigilant

Oddometer: 906
Thumb Great Report

Evan,
Just happened across your report. Great writing style and terrific pictures to accompany your narrative. I would advocate, as have others, when you plan your next big trip to route plan to avoid the super slab and get to see wherever your destination is via 2 lane back roads. You've seen lots of our great country and there is a tremendous amount more to see and appreciate via the small towns and burbs that are on the bypasses and back roads.

I have been really happy with my Olympia riding gear. http://olympiamotosports.com/I am on my second hi-viz suit. I also have a hi-viz jacket and black pants. The nice thing about it is you don't need rain gear. The stuff is pretty water tight but is well-ventillated so its cool enough to wear in the summer months. Its a NC based company so you could, actually, head over and chat with them about sizing.

Also, during my first road trip I was tremendously overloaded...I, actually, wound up shipping a huge box of stuff home from Missoula, MT when my brothers (who met me in MT) shamed me into it!! Its all a learning experience.
Thanks, again, for sharing your experiences.

Sevoman.
Sevoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:51 AM   #157
EvanADV OP
Big Bearded Boy

Oddometer: 1,338
Thanks everyone for the kind words. I've got two more stops already written, just need to add in pics. Not even halfway done yet. Will keep it coming ASAP.
First Trip on 2 Wheels. 10,000 miles. 21 years old.
NC to Maine for Lobster Dinner
EvanADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:52 AM   #158
EvanADV OP
Big Bearded Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker View Post
The RDV was over a week ago , Evan, get back on the report !
Kidding, it was nice to meet you at the Black Bear .
Yep, the delay is a bit much. Sorry bout that. Good meeting you too. Which one were ya?
Old 06-04-2013, 06:00 AM   #159
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,181
The guy shooting the arial fireworks , back in tent city.

Here I am in this pic by Knybanjo on top of Backbone ridge.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:43 AM   #160
gremor
RS'er

Oddometer: 906
Great RR, you have a very easy style to follow.

Keep it up.

But I've matured. Now I'd make sure I was drunk before I tried to fuck a snake"..........Bueller
gremor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:46 PM   #161
jdn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Hi, thanks for sharing your story! Really got me thinking, need to do something similar myself. Waiting for the rest of the story.
jdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:26 PM   #162
EvanADV OP
Big Bearded Boy

Thanks to all for your kind comments and encouragement. I've finally got another round here for your enjoyment.

Kennewick, WA to Salem, OR
July 6-7, 2010

I woke up fairly early the next morning there in Kennewick and everyone in the house was still asleep. I left another thank you note, as was becoming my custom, to let Murphy and the crew know I appreciated their hospitalitiy.

I loaded up and headed out of town. I stopped at a bank to make a deposit of some checks and cash I'd accumulated, and had the pleasure of meeting a few local riders who were curious about my trip. I shared a bit about my story, handed them some business cards, and went on my way.

By 9am or so I was headed to my next stop - Salem, OR (actually Woodburn).

My host in Woodburn was Don, a water filtration expert who I'd met in Nicaragua the year before. He made a trip down to install filtration systems he'd built into pelican cases, and ended up with a few left over with a few extra days on his trip. He asked his contact who could use them, and he gave him our organization's name. That's how I met Don. Since then, Don has returned to the same village multiple times to help investigate the cause of widespread renal failure. The best guess, as of now, is pesticide runoff from the nearby sugarcane plantations.

Anyway, I remembered Don was from Salem, OR (actually Woodburn) while planning my trip, reached out to him in the early stages, and he and his wife happily offered his home up to me as I passed through.

The ride from Kennewick was very scenic once the road began to follow the path of the Columbia river and the Hood River. I hit rain on the east side of Portland for half an hour or so, but it cleared up. In the Columbia River Gorge, I found it quite surreal to be riding through the 90 degree heat with the snow covered Mt. Hood in sight.

I stopped off in the gorge to get some water and call Don to let him know how far out I was. He told me they'd be grilling burgers and having friends over to meet me that night, and reccomended I take the Historic Columbia River Highway and check out all the waterfalls.

Just a few miles down the road I found the turnoff for the Historic Highway and exited. That was a great decision. It was very nice to slow down to a slow pace and take in the scenery. I stopped and got a few pics of the bike near the falls.

Also got some video as I passed through.

I continued on following my navigation straight to the Don's house,and he and his wife were there to welcome me in. It was quite nice to get into the air conditioning. Don invited me to pull my bike into the garage, which was the first time my bike had been indoors in several weeks. It was accompanied by two old school cars Don was building.

I brought my luggage in and got a quick shower, something i'd grown to thoroughly enjoy more than ever after long hot days of riding. As promised, we had a wonderful cook out at their house and I met several of their friends. We ate, laughed, talked, and discussed my trip and Nicaragua at length. I remember Don's back porch had a nifty water misting system he'd designed and built. Wish I had a photo but I don't. I remember discussing how it actually provided relief from the drier heat there in Oregon, whereas back home in NC it would do little good with the high humidity. YMMV yadda yadda.

After the festivities died down, I got a great night's sleep in my own room on a big air mattress.

The next day, Don and I took a drive out to Silver Falls. Very cool place. Pics below. It was also very nice to just take a ride and talk openly about my experiences with another human being.

We returned back home and had dinner with his wife.

Later that evening while doing some searching on the internet I stumbled upon a little website called ADVrider.com and decided to register.

As of that evening I still wasn't sure where i'd be sleeping the next evening. So far I hadn't been able to find a friend of a friend in my network in the area - a first so far on the trip - so I was scouting out campgrounds. Looked like i'd be using my camping setup after all. My next stop was in Willits, CA with Steve and Kelly who i'd also met in Nicaragua (mentioned in the first post). The 500+ mile drive just wasn't appealing.

Just when I'd settled on camping, I got a phone call from Steve. He'd called a church in Crescent City, CA and asked if there was anyone there who would be willing to house a traveler passing through for one night. He gave them a description of what I was doing, and sure enough, somebody volunteered. He gave me a name (which I've unfortunately now forgotten) and an address. Sweet deal.

That evening I also remembered a guy i'd met in Nicaragua named Brad who'd told me he lived near Salem, OR. I sent him a message and made plans to eat breakfast with him the next morning on my way to Crescent City.

That next day i'd finally see the Pacific...

more to come...

EvanADV screwed with this post 06-07-2013 at 07:51 PM
Old 06-07-2013, 04:33 PM   #163
LittlePosum
Scrappy Marsupial

Oddometer: 300
Awesome RR it has been fun rolling along with you!
Old 06-08-2013, 06:54 AM   #164
squiffynimrod
maximum shrinkage

Oddometer: 1,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanADV View Post
Later that evening while doing some searching on the internet I stumbled upon a little website called ADVrider.com and decided to register.
And we're glad you did. Keep it coming.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:27 AM   #165
EvanADV OP
Big Bearded Boy

Here’s to hoping my lack of posting for a while didn’t run you folks off.

Woodburn, OR to Crescent City, CA
July 8, 2010

Don’t remember anything noteworthy about leaving Don and Belinda’s in Woodburn. They’d been great hosts and great to be around.

As I mentioned, I’d made plans to meet Brad, who I’d met in Nicaragua, for breakfast in nearby Lebanon, OR. I set out and headed for the place he’d suggested fairly early that morning.

It wasn’t too far, probably around and hour away. I arrived first. It was a small town diner type place. I went in and got a table by the window so I could watch for Brad. He arrived riding his CBR shortly thereafter. I didn’t even know he rode, so we talked about that and caught up with each other over a good meal.

After breakfast we said goodbye and I was back on my way to Crescent City.

I took the super slab on I-5 for another hour or so to Eugene, and decided I was done with that crap. It was hot, straight, and boring. I was so very close to the ocean and I was sure there would be a road I could follow south with better scenery. For the first time I abandoned my navigation on my phone. I stopped to verify the road I’d selected would get me to the coast, and I went on my way. I’d figure it out from there.

Here’s a pic I snapped at a light in Eugene after I’d exited I-5.

Boy was that a good decision to abandon the interstate and head west on a side road. Looking back at the maps it looks like I was probably on OR-126 W. The rode was twisty and the scenery was beautiful. There were pine forests and a river/stream came alongside the road most of the way.

After about an hour or so I came to US-101 at Florence, OR and turned left to take it south. The slower pace through the small towns and cooler temperature were a nice change of pace. I stopped for gas and lunch in Reedsport, OR, and continued south.

The whole time south on US-101 from Florence I was so close to the ocean but still hadn’t caught a glimpse of it.
As I rolled into Port Orford, OR, I saw a turnoff where the road itself was labeled in big letters “^^^^^ OCEAN VIEW” so I thought that was a no brainer. Ironically my vido camera was rolling, so I got it all on film.

So there I was. I’d made it to the Pacific Ocean. A sense of accomplishment came over me as I realized I’d really made it all this way. That scared kid under a bridge outside of Chicago had somehow managed to become a man between there and here. It was a fantastic moment I won’t forget.

There was an artistic little platform there at the overlooks that I parked my bike on and took a bunch of photos with. Please excuse the helmet hair

It actually took my quite a while to figure out where that location was, but after googling several of the business names in the video, I eventually discovered it was Port Orford.

After soaking in that moment for a while, I carried on south toward Crescent City.

I stopped off at another spot overlooking the ocean almost exactly an hour later (according to the EXIF data of the photos). There was a small opening in the guard rail almost exactly wide enough to get my bike through, so I rode right up to the edge and got some epic shots.

This coast was so different than any coast I’d ever seen and defintely different than what i'd imagined in my mind. It was utterly breathtaking with its rocky cliffs and sometimes cool and foggy climate, even in the hot months of the summer. I was so glad I’d made the journey.

Later that afternoon, probably some time around 7pm, I finally arrived at my contact’s house in Crescent City. They lived about mile off a main road down a private gravel road down into the forrest. The house was beautiful. There were several cars in the driveway, several of which weren’t stock (lifted, wheel/tires, etc.) so I knew immediately they must be pretty decent people. About the time I got my helmet off the man of the house came out to greet me.

I could kick myself for not taking better notes, but I can’t seem to find anywhere where I wrote down any names and I don’t have any photos. Just a middle aged couple lived there, a man and his wife, and they had their sons, daughters, and grandchildren over for a cookout that evening. The man introduced me to everyone and explained how I’d come to be invited. (Remember, he’d volunteered to house me when my friend in Willits, CA called his church). I met the whole crowd and told them a little about what I was doing. I remember one son in his late 20s was a nearby prison guard and he rode an SV. He gave me a tip to watch the overpasses as that’s where the Highway Patrol liked to scout for speeders. Overall it was a fairly chill gathering and I managed to remain a spectator more than the center of attention as the family hung out.

Later that night after the crowd had left I spent some time with the man and his wife telling them more about myself and my journey. They were extremely kind and down to earth. I’d noticed a sticky note on their fridge for ibethel.tv which was where Brad (who I’d had breakfast with) went to ministry school. They had a daughter there as well. I found that extremely cool. I opened up to them and explained some of the harder times I’d experienced on my trip and how awesome it was to arrive at the Pacific earlier that day.

After talking for quite some time I decided to turn in. The wife showed me to my room upstairs, her daughter’s room who had moved away. With the windows open it had to have been 65 degrees or so – so utterly perfect. Can't beat N. Cali coastal weather. I slept like a log.

EvanADV screwed with this post 06-13-2013 at 01:13 PM