Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanADV View Post
Wow great picture!
jdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:08 AM   #167
chekamus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Great picture and great reading about your trip, i hope its the first of many!
chekamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:12 PM   #168
EvanADV OP
Big Bearded Boy

Oddometer: 1,334
Crescent City, CA to Willits, CA
July 9, 2010

Again, I don’t remember much about the next morning (can you tell I’m not a morning person?), but I want to think I had breakfast with the man and his wife and got a fairly early start.

I remember discussing where I could buy a Crescent City postcard and they had no suggestions. I’d been faithfully purchasing one at almost every stop as any good tourist would. (They’ve since accumulated in a box in a drawer somewhere). On my way out of town I saw a CVS and decided I’d stop in and see. Sure enough they had about 50 variations to choose from.

Now that I had my postcard I was headed south to Willits, CA to see Steve and Kelly. If you don’t remember, I met them in Nicaragua around the time I got the wild idea to do this trip, and Steve helped me in the early planning stages. He also found me places to stay in Missoula, MT and Crescent City, CA.

I kept on US-101 the whole way there, and it was a magnificent ride. One of my favorites so far on the trip. The slower pace was nice, not only being off the interstate, but also only having just over 200 miles to cover that day.
It was rocky, cliffy, and coastal for the first portion, a bit foggy and chilly, and then moved a few miles inland south of Eureka, CA where it turned into Redwoods galore.

A few vids of the foggy coast:

I hadn’t fully prepared myself for what a big deal it would be to see the Redwoods. I’d grew up playing in the “forest” everyday as a child. I’d seen miles and miles of forest back home in NC. Sure, I knew this would be different, the trees would be much larger, but essentially the same.

Well, that was about as far from what I experienced as possible.

It’s hard to describe what it’s like to ride through the Redwoods for the first time, never having seen anything like it before. It is one of very few natural things I’ve seen that has made me so feel incredibly small. These Sequoia trees are as big around as a car, and several hundred feet tall. I felt like I was in an optical illusion at first, as if I’d been transformed into a microscopic version of myself causing the trees to look so huge. It would not surprise me at all if people had literally worshipped these and thought of them as beings, because they are very god-like. Toyota named their largest SUV after them but they came nowhere close to doing it justice. And they surround you as far as you can see on both sides of the road. If you haven’t been, drop what you’re doing, get on your bike and go.

Some footage from the redwoods (previously incorrectly placed in previous post):

Some footage from somewhere that day in that portion of the ride:

As I continued I saw a sign for “Tour Thru Tree”. I’d heard there was a tree you could drive through but thought it to be more likely to be fiction than fact. I was wrong. For a small fee, there it was, a tree you could drive a car through. Incredible.

When I arrived there was a couple there on a Harley and a family in their minivan in line for photos. I moved out of the way and dismounted to watch. The minivan went first, and then continued through. After that, the Harley couple pulled their bike up inside the tree and asked me to take their photo. Just as they were posing, the man suddenly yelled. “Wait!” turning around towards the bike, “Let me take the windshield off. Then we’ll look more hardcore.” Seriously, not jokingly, I promise. He proceeded to remove the windshield from the bike and the resumed his pose with his wife/girlfriend. I hadn’t yet been assimilated into the culture of ADVrider but I was sufficiently amused by their ridiculousness.

You can just barely see the windshield sitting up against the fence to the left of my bike here:

I patiently waited as the woman continued snapping photos of the man and his Harley. Afterward they returned the favor and got a few shots of me with my bike under the tree. I left my windshield on. The photos are kinda crappy, but keep in mind a Harley rider took them. His hands were likely less than fully functional due to the vibration engineered into the motor for it to say po-ta-to-po-ta-to at idle.

A while later, nearing Willits, I stopped at a distance marker sign with Willits listed for a photo op.

Shortly thereafter I found Steve and Kelly’s house, nested comfortably on a hillside in a smaller, yet still beautiful Redwood forest in Willits, CA.

More to come.
First Trip on 2 Wheels. 10,000 miles. 21 years old.
NC to Maine for Lobster Dinner
EvanADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:22 AM   #169
EvanADV OP
Big Bearded Boy

Route from here was:
  • San Fransisco, CA
  • Monterey, CA
  • Orange, CA
  • Las Vegas, NV
  • Tempe, AZ
  • Las Cruces, NM
  • Lubbock, TX
  • Dallas, TX
  • Little Rock, AR
  • Sikeston, MO
  • Louisville, KY
  • Lebanon, TN
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Savannah, GA
  • HOME.

So i've still got at least 15 posts to go.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:47 PM   #170
jdn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
We are prepared and waiting...
Old 07-25-2013, 02:25 PM   #171
EvanADV OP
Big Bearded Boy

You guys give up on me yet?

Next week is vacation week, and i'm planning on wrapping this up during my down time.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:28 PM   #172
CBoy808
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Just read all 12 pages, very cool ride and read! Great pics to have to remember the trip too!
CBoy808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:12 PM   #173
squiffynimrod
maximum shrinkage

Oddometer: 1,278
Old 07-26-2013, 01:37 AM   #174
jdn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Next week is vacation week, and i'm planning on wrapping this up during my down time.
Oh yeah!
Old 08-05-2013, 09:58 AM   #175
Chivvalry
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 531
Very cool trip! I am envious of your chance to do this... at this point I will likely have to wait until I retire to get a coast to coast (and an Arctic Circle) trip in. Life has a funny way of dictating what you can do when...

Keep 'em coming!
2011 WR250R
Chivvalry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:27 PM   #176
FishHunt
slow poking...

Oddometer: 1,339
Caught up and ready for the rest of the story.

<>< Fish

Be good and you will be lonesome - Mark Twain
Old 08-05-2013, 11:53 PM   #177
boatpuller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutabaga View Post
I will take a tear of humility from a bike rider examining his life on the side of a road over science any day of the week.

The arrogance of the Canadian who caused the above statement to be made, mocking you for what he thought was beneath him, was beyond offensive. Then I read your post about the poor picture taking ability of the Harley rider and stereotypes, and sadly, I saw some parallels between your comments and the Canadian's.
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:00 AM   #178
Jisei
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Lighten up

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpuller View Post

The arrogance of the Canadian who caused the above statement to be made, mocking you for what he thought was beneath him, was beyond offensive. Then I read your post about the poor picture taking ability of the Harley rider and stereotypes, and sadly, I saw some parallels between your comments and the Canadian's.

Wow...lighten up, boatpuller. I'm quite certain the numb hands of the Harley rider were made in jest.

Jisei screwed with this post 08-06-2013 at 09:11 AM Reason: Don't want to take away from the RR
Jisei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:08 AM   #179
EvanADV OP
Big Bearded Boy

Hello all - got a good bit written last week, just need to find the photos. Will be posting up soon.

Oh, and please behave.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:47 PM   #180
Davoh
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Hello all - got a good bit written last week, just need to find the photos. Will be posting up soon.

Oh, and please behave.
Just a reminder that behaving badly is still behaving. ;)

Really enjoyed the read so far. Keep it coming bud!
Davoh is offline   Reply With Quote