Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2013, 10:22 AM   #106
bergy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Looking forward to the rest of your rr, dont let the negativity about your beliefs stop you. This is your ride, thanks for letting us go along! Most of us just wish we were 21 riding across the country.
bergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:36 AM   #107
EvanADV OP
Big Bearded Boy

Oddometer: 1,329
Thanks for all the followers. I'm not discouraged, just had a busy few days. Finally had a chance to write up another day's worth of report.

I left Denver, CO on July 2, 2010 and headed for Jackson, WY.

I began to get a lot of questions at stops from people who noticed my NC tag. NC was now a far away place. They were always surprised to hear my age and that I was alone. Being alone was a concern that never really crossed my mind when planning the trip. Now, I knew it was a big deal, but for different reasons than the non-motorcyclist passerby could ever know.

The change of scenery sure made the miles easier. It was absolutely beautiful. Having never been west of Nashville, I quickly realized that everything was bigger and more awe inspiring out west. It just felt huge. I didn’t think to take many pictures, I guess because I was taking it all in. Something we rarely do in today’s society. We sacrifice actually experiencing something for the sake of photographing it.

I saw some ugly rain clouds ahead in The Buttes, WY near Buford, WY and pulled off at the first place I found. It was a fireworks stand. Where better to be in a lightning storm? I did snap a shot of my beverage “Dr. Denali”, which I found funny.

I hung there a bit until the storm passed, but didn't buy any fireworks.

I got to my last gas stop just before sunset. The pump wouldn’t work at first, which was alarming because it was the only station around and I was running pretty low. The inside was closed, no attendant to seek for help. I remember trying my card several times with no luck, and then a truck pulled up and was able to fuel with success, so I realized it was probably a problem with my machine. I moved over to another pump and it worked – I was quite relieved.

I snapped a photo of myself prior to leaving with the Windy River Mountain Range in the background, which would end up being used for a front page article in ouyr local paper in a story about my trip.

The surrounding scenery:

By the time I got to Bridger National Forest it was pitch dark. As I entered, about 3-5 miles of road had been torn up for construction and was a mix of dirt and gravel. On street tires, on a fully loaded bike, I was a bit nervous. I managed to keep the bike upright with no issue, though my pace was far from brisk. As the road returned to pavement I repeatedly saw the illuminated eyeballs of different wildlife as I cautiously made my way through the twists and turns. I kept imagining how I would react if I came around a turn and saw a deer in the middle of the road. I got tense, and my pace slowed. I repeatedly checked my GPS for ETA. Time seemed to creep by.

At the bottom of a hill I saw a truck pulling a ski boat stopped in the road. I stopped off to the side of the road, pulled off my helmet, and walked up to see what was the matter. There laid a big deer in the middle of the road someone had hit. I spoke to them for a few minutes and they offered to let me ride behind them and they would keep a lookout for animals in the road, since they had bright headlights.

I followed them, much more comfortably, until they turned off toward Alpine, WY. I made it into Jackson shortly thereafter without any issues.

Mary, my generous friend from NJ, had booked me two nights at The Parkway Inn in Jackson, WY. She ended up not being able to use her Hilton points because all the rooms were booked (busy time), but insisted it was no big deal.
I found it without any problem and checked in at the front desk. Pulled the stuff off my bike, covered it up, and headed in to the room. I was exhausted, especially after the last couple hours of tense riding. Being tensed up in my arms for a portion of the ride really takes it out of me – something I’ve now learned to avoid.

I got out my camera gear and laptop to prepare for my Yellowstone tour the next morning. Regretfully, in the process, I determined the external hard drive I’d been saving my photos and videos to had developed the “click of death” and was now toast. Bummer. Thankfully I’d been uploading photos to SmugMug daily so all I’d lost were a few videos.
I was wiped out and fell right asleep, setting my alarm early for when the tour guide would pick me up.
First Trip on 2 Wheels. 10,000 miles. 21 years old.
NC to Maine for Lobster Dinner

EvanADV screwed with this post 04-09-2013 at 10:47 AM
EvanADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:28 AM   #108
Jisei
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
I never thought a RR of someone putting around on slab in the US would be so interesting! Great writing style. Wonderful insight. I'm in for the journey!
Jisei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:39 PM   #109
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,321
Evan, love your RR! thank you for posting it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmacaulay View Post
....My observations...life lower than the 49th parallel....
Drew, you mention yourself 17 times in 3 paragraphs. just an fyi.

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:23 PM   #110
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 10,977
Thanks for the update,traveling alone is usually the best way to see what you want,when you want,and you end up meeting more people that way.

I like the look of that 1250 Bandit,typical Suzuki, just put gas in and ride.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:38 AM   #111
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,444
you haven't mentioned your occupation Evan. Are you a writer or journalist. if not, you may be missing yhour calling! As others have said, you know how to tell a story!
Old 04-10-2013, 04:56 PM   #112
Rodsbike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Enjoying this RR. Keep it up I bet it is beingback many memories
Rodsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:43 PM   #113
cjeter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Like your style, looking forward to reading the rest of this report.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:27 AM   #114
EvanADV OP
Big Bearded Boy

Oddometer: 1,329
July 3, 2010.

I'm not a morning person, and mornings usually consist of me hitting snooze at least two, sometimes more times than I'd like to admit, prior to waking up. That was not the case for me this day. I was being picked up at 7am by the tour company, so I was up and at 'em by 6:30am. Jeans, shirt, socks, and sandals. I contemplating wearing my riding jacket (the only jacket I brought), but decided against it. It was in the mid-60s, I think. Pretty surprising to me for July.

Grabbed a bagel and saw the bus pull up with "Callowishus Tours" printed on the side. That was me.

I was the first pick up. I met my guide, whose name I can't remember for the life of me, but I do have a photo. He was awersome. I got to ride shotgun and we talked on our way to pick up the rest of the group. I told him about what I was doing and he was one of the first people I ever met that seemed to get it. He was an adventurer, too, and he understood.

The dash of the van was covered with little figurines and trinkets that were representative of the area. The guide had a PA so he could narrate to the whole group as we went. He seemed to know everything there was to know about the park and was able to explain it in such an interesting way.

I got hundreds upon hundreds of photos, but here are some of my favorites from the day. Needless to say this day I was glad I packed all the camera gear that I did!

View of the Tetons and a grizzly by the Snake River.

One without the grizzly blocking the view.

"Yellow" stone

Old Faithful. Several hundred feet high on this take. See people to left for reference.

'nother grizzly at yellowstone falls

This'll make you feel small.

See people on the right at the top of the falls?

Lake Yellowstone Hotel

Lake Yellowstone Hotel - one of my favorite architectural shots of all time (that i've snapped).

Lake Yellowstone

It was one of the most surreal and awesome, in the true sense of the word, experiences of my life. Everyone should see yellowstone. It is truly captivating.

We ended up seeing most of the main animals species prominent in Yellowstone, minus the wolves. Moose, elk, bison/buffalo, and even grizzly bear. The tour guide mentioned you rarely see all these in one day.

Elk moon 1.

Elk moon 2.

Buffalo crossing.

A real grizzly. Our tour guide advised us to remain in the van. Some people didn't recognize the danger. This retard is <30ft away from it to snap a photo, as shown above.

As I was researching to rewrite this section I discovered that Cal, the founder of Callowishus Tours, passed away unexpectedly in 2011. The compnay was absorbed by one of his guides and now operated under then name of Buffalo Roam Park Tours. If Buffalo Roam is anything like Callowishus, which I'm sure it is, then I would highly reccomend it. To this day I think the $200 I spent on that tour was the best money I spent on the trip, next to my AirHawk seat!
First Trip on 2 Wheels. 10,000 miles. 21 years old.
NC to Maine for Lobster Dinner

EvanADV screwed with this post 04-11-2013 at 10:35 AM
EvanADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:27 PM   #115
Rodsbike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
People who get out of vehicles to photograph wild animals are plain stupid. The tragedy of it all is if that bear should harm or kill the stupid person the authorities would probably have to shoot the animal. In the Kruger National Park (in South Africa where I live) many notices appear not to feed the animals, especially baboons. Give a wild animal food and it looses fear of humans, and that is a death sentence to the animal. Rant over.
Rodsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:19 PM   #116
Deacon66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangecon1976 View Post
I'm in ...good stuff
Love your mosquito quote/ signature!
2011 Ninja 1000
2013 HD Softail Slim
Deacon66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:32 PM   #117
Deacon66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutabaga View Post
Very interesting story of your journey along the highways and through life. I think you are mentoring some riders here in the process. I admire both efforts.
+1, very true. A man of such a young age is a great example to us all. Live life, don't necessarily follow the expected timeline of life... Live life to the fullest, forget what is normal or expected!
2011 Ninja 1000
2013 HD Softail Slim
Deacon66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:25 AM   #118
TheMule
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
Been away from the ride reports for a while, glad I stumbled on this one! Excellent job - photos, riding, and writing. Also, kudos for your attitude and the way you've dealt with back-handed compliments.

Thanks!

TW Goes To Alaska Solo
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ght=utah+tw200

My Bike
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ighlight=tw200 (Sold )

My New Bike (03/09)

2001 Tiger 955i - Fully Farkled
TheMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:56 AM   #119
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,318
Hey Evan, just stumbled upon your RR and wanted to say thanks for reliving it with us. Oh and, next time you need rain gear stop at a HD shop. XL is usually the smallest size most of them carry, no joke. And they're rain suits are very nice.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:29 PM   #120
jbar28
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Great shots

I love this pic, Evan,

The light, the mountains, the clearing clouds, the look on your face... I've just sat here and read the whole 8 pages of your report so far, and think the experiences, the doubt you faced becoming confidence, the man you are becoming, all show through. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but that's what I see.

Go with God, brother.
jbar28 is offline   Reply With Quote