Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2013, 06:55 PM   #121
keninpcfl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by themule View Post
been away from the ride reports for a while, glad i stumbled on this one! Excellent job - photos, riding, and writing. Also, kudos for your attitude and the way you've dealt with back-handed compliments.

Thanks!
+1
keninpcfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:57 PM   #122
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,286
Excellent report so far

I wish I had had the guts to do something like this when I was 21.

Great Job on the ride report. Sharing your thoughts and feelings in addition to pictures and a description of the ride are what turn an ordinary ride report into a great one. I thought you did a particularly good job describing the day you experienced the low point of your trip and then the lady at the diner.

I'm looking forward reading the rest of this report. Thanks for posting this.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:12 PM   #123
Chris-KH2PM
KLXer

Oddometer: 4
Looking forward to updates! Thanks for sharing, Evan!
Chris-KH2PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:55 AM   #124
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,856
I think your engine is jinxing your trip, check out the face.

twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:12 AM   #125
EvanADV OP
Big Bearded Boy

Oddometer: 1,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
Excellent report so far

I wish I had had the guts to do something like this when I was 21.

Great Job on the ride report. Sharing your thoughts and feelings in addition to pictures and a description of the ride are what turn an ordinary ride report into a great one. I thought you did a particularly good job describing the day you experienced the low point of your trip and then the lady at the diner.

I'm looking forward reading the rest of this report. Thanks for posting this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris-KH2PM View Post
Looking forward to updates! Thanks for sharing, Evan!
Thanks guys. More to come soon. Hoping to post some today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
I think your engine is jinxing your trip, check out the face.
For the life of me I can't figure out what you're talking about?
First Trip on 2 Wheels. 10,000 miles. 21 years old.
NC to Maine for Lobster Dinner
EvanADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:40 AM   #126
TheRoss
IBA, BMWMOA

Oddometer: 303
Evan,

Good job keeping things civil with Drew. I thought his observations were well stated, whether I agree with them or not, but they could have become a real negative on a great thread. Your reply was a wise one.

Great ride report. It's nice to take a break from all the GS Round the World far flung ride reports.... reports that are great to read but for me personaly not doable.... and to read about your adventures and observations right here. Memories have come back to me of places I have been, and you have given me many ideas of places I would like to go. Very good photography too!

Keep up the good work!

2012 R1200GSA, 1985 K100RS, 1975 R90/6

TheRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:43 AM   #127
dmaxmike
former quadtard.

Oddometer: 700
You’re what I like to call “good people” thanks for sharing your story. And also congrats on getting married and having the sense to marry a beautiful girl who loves cars enough to include them in her wedding pictures. And she apparently loves moto’s and you enough to let you go for a 10,000 mile joy ride so I would say she is a keeper! I am of the bigger persuasion as well but your luckier then me as I am also short. You know how hard it is to find 42-28 riding pants?!

IN for the rest!
dmaxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:09 PM   #128
EvanADV OP
Big Bearded Boy

To all of you following along, I apologize for the delay. The guys over at the Charlotte, NC ADV pizza meet were giving me a hard time last night about leaving everyone hanging. I typed up 3/4 of this post two days ago in "Notepad" at work, but forgot to save. My battery apparently died overnight in my bag and all my writing had vanished on reboot. Hope you enjoy my second attempt.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I woke up at the Parkway Inn the morning after my day at Yellowstone and got my bike packed back up. I was getting pretty good at loading all my crap on there at that point.

I only had two objectives for the day:

First - get a photo of myself in front of the antler archees. I'd found out from my tour guide the day prior that they were located in the town square. My mom had told me that her dad had a photo of himself there from one of his annual "out west" hunting trips. He passed away when I was in middle school, just when I was starting to get close to him. I'd been to visit him in TN to turkey and deer hunt every season for a few years before he died. He gave me hell all the time and was quite an hornary old man, but he always looked forward to hunting with me, according to my mom. I'd always dreamed of going "out west" with him to hunt elk. I say "out west" because until this trip it seemed like a mythical place. Now I was there, all on my own. I couldn't help but think he'd be proud. Having a photo to compare to his from decades prior would be really cool.

Second - get to Missoula, MT where I had a couch reserved for the night about 400 miles away.

So, after loading up I made my way toward the middle of town to seek out those antler arches.

After turning onto a road I had to dodge a big pile of horse manure. I assumed maybe people rode horses in town? I didn't give it much thought until I found myself following 3 or 4 cowboys on horseback a few yards up the road. Then, a little further up the road, I realized there were hundreds of people lining both sides of the street. What was going on?

It hadn't even crossed my mind that it was the 4th of July. After a few days on the road you lose track of such unimportant things, like what day it is. Sure enough, I had entered the Independence Day parade through the town square of Jackson, WY, situated conveniently between two groups of cowboys. My timing was impeccable.

I grinned and chuckled at my situation. As I slowly moved through the crowd I just waved and pretended I was supposed to be there. I'm sure a few hundred people have pictures of me from that day as I made my way through the parade.

I found a place to pull off and park in front of a saloon, so I did. The antler arches were just across the street, so I made my way over to them and asked a nice looking couple to snap a photo of me.

It turned out nice enough but the crowd of people surrounding me didn't appeal to me. Thankfully, I'd entered the parade near the end, so I waited for the crowd to die down a bit and got another photo op. Much better.

What I had anticipated to take only a few minutes ended up taking over an hour, but it made for a very interesting experience I wouldn't have traded for anything. That's one of those stories I just wouldn't even be able to make up. I'm working on tracking down the photo of my pa paw for comparison, will post up later.

I got back on the bike and made my way out of Jackson. I'd finally gotten used to how the bike handled loaded down after all those miles, and I remember really enjoying the winding road out of Jackson on the Teton Pass Highway (WY-22). I wished i'd come in to Jackson in the daylight so I could have enjoyed that ride a little more, rather than being scared out of my mind as I was. Next time.

I crossed into Idaho and into the beautiful green foothills and farmland on ID-33 westward and then onto I-15 north. I couldn't help but feel relaxed surrounded by this scenery, not to mention that my long 600+ mile days were over and I could now take my time and enjoy getting from stop to stop at a more leisurely pace.

I remember thinking that everyone should do this. Everybody should come "out west" and see this beautiful place. And that they shouldn't fly, but drive or ride. Something about a thousand miles of flat corn fields leading up to it all made it that much more amazing. So many of my friends and familly, like me, hadn't ventured out of the southeast. Most of them, as i've mentioned before, thought I was nuts. This made it all worth it. I was so thankful for the wild idea I'd come up with to come and do this trip. Otherwise, I may have lived my life never having experienced this part of the world that was so close yet so far away.

Part two of the trip to Missoula soon to come...
Old 04-19-2013, 02:27 PM   #129
tbss1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Excellent report. Keep up the good work!
tbss1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:52 AM   #130
squiffynimrod
maximum shrinkage

Oddometer: 1,060
Ok EvanADV, it's been a week and no update.
I'm in withdrawals.
Please update.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:01 AM   #131
EvanADV OP
Big Bearded Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiffynimrod View Post
Ok EvanADV, it's been a week and no update.
I'm in withdrawals.
Please update.
Actually just wrapping up another post! Check back in the next few minutes.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:34 AM   #132
EvanADV OP
Big Bearded Boy

Trip to Missoula: Part 2

My first gas stop of the day was quite eventful. My fill up rhythym had been every 100-120 miles. By that time my fuel light was blinking, even though I could probably stretch close to 200 miles out of the 5 gallon tank, and I was ready to stand and stretch for a minute or two.

The blinking fuel light tends to come on around 110 miles, and as I said, I knew I had 5 gallons, but out there in the open west where civilizations were sparse, my mind began to get the best of me.

I pulled off the interstate at around 120 miles on a tank. The signage reported a single gas station to the right off the ramp, but when I got there I realized the place had been closed and abandoned for quite some time. I decided to explore down the road a bit further, expecting to find a town with gas within a few miles. That's why they had an exit there, surely? I had no cell phone reception, so I couldn't check my maps, but it seemed a reasonable assumption, so I proceeded.

After 2 or 3 miles, things were looking bleak and I was beginning to doubt my decision. I passed several ranches, but there was not another human within sight. The rolling hills seemed to go on forever. I continued for 10 miles when I decided it was time to turn around before I found myself completely out of gas in the middle of nowhere. On the way back I stopped and cut the bike off to watch 4 or 5 antelope from only a few feet away.

As I approached the interstate, only a few hundred yards from the on ramp I noticed a man in front of his house. I decided to stop and ask where the closest fill up was. He told me if I would have went a little further, about 2 more miles, I would have found a town with gas in the direction I went exploring. He said the next town was another 15 or 20 miles up the interstate.

I was concerned I'd be cutting it too close to make it so I asked if he had any gas on hand he'd be willing to sell me. He went into his garage and pulled out a can, poured in a gallon or so, and wouldn't take my $5. I thanked him and went on my way.

Just as he said, I found a town about 15 miles down the road and filled up.

I'd say that was about the best outcome possible for a "gas scare" and I made sure to plan ahead for gas from then on.

I took some video between the Clark Canyon Reservoir and Dillon, WY as I was riding through Montana here:

I made it into Missoula, MT an hour or so before sunset. I spotted a Countour HD Camera bus when I got into town and caught it on camera. Thought that was an interesting sight.

I was staying with a friend of my friends Steve and Kelly from Willits, CA. I mentioned I met Steve and Kelly in Nicaragua in my opening post. Their friend in Missoula, Greg, was actually handicapped and confined to a wheelchair due to health issues, but that didn't stop him from welcoming a weary traveler. I met Greg and we had dinner together his aid had prepared. We talked for a few hours and watched a fireworks show on TV. I enjoyed talking to him about my trip and swapping stories about Steve and Kelly, and eventually I headed to the couch for a good night's sleep.

Found this short clip of me corssing into Idaho, must have been from earlier that day.

Old 04-26-2013, 04:41 PM   #133
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanADV View Post

For the life of me I can't figure out what you're talking about?
Can you see the face now?

twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:43 PM   #134
EvanADV OP
Big Bearded Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Can you see the face now?
LOL that's a stretch, but maybe I just haven't had enough to drink?
Old 04-27-2013, 05:32 AM   #135
XCRider803
Loftin' the wheel

Oddometer: 676
It's called pareidolia, seeing faces in things like clouds and Bandit motors.
XCRider803 is offline   Reply With Quote