User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2013, 03:07 PM   #1
Manuel Garcia O'Kely OP
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,370
Single piece computer?

So I'm at CostCo, looking at cheap computers as it's clear this laptop won't last forever.

HP has touch screen computers with 23" screen and the entire CPU is built into the display, ala the Apple design.

Is this a good buy? I mainly use it for video audio and web browsing, really nothing high powered. The lack of a CPU box in my tiny office is useful and I have an Ipad for portable use, don't really use the portablity of the laptop.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:26 PM   #2
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,999
I think so long as you are a user who will not want to upgrade the computer, and will just replace it in a year or two these thigns are fine.

Check reviews on the specific unit.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:34 PM   #3
potatoho
Cheese and Rice!

Oddometer: 4,683
I've got one of the HP ones with a touch screen. If touch screen is important to you I suggest trying them all out in the store because the different methods used for touch screen vary widely. HP is multi touch and you can use stylus and not have to press at all on the screen, whereas many other models are inaccurate and require a fairly stiff press.

That said, I actually don't care for the touch screen. I find myself inadvertently touching and selecting things when I am working on code and it's not overly convenient to touch the screen rather than use the mouse.

I do love the all-in-one style though. This one has a micro slot of some kind for expansion where I may install another video card or whatnot. There are other models which already support multiple monitors so be sure to look for that feature if it is important.
potatoho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:40 PM   #4
fierostetz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely View Post
So I'm at CostCo, looking at cheap computers as it's clear this laptop won't last forever.

HP has touch screen computers with 23" screen and the entire CPU is built into the display, ala the Apple design.

Is this a good buy? I mainly use it for video audio and web browsing, really nothing high powered. The lack of a CPU box in my tiny office is useful and I have an Ipad for portable use, don't really use the portablity of the laptop.
why not just get an actual iMac? if you (or a loved one) is a student or school faculty (college student, or any faculty/staff/etc.) you can get apple edu discounts. alternatively, go to store.apple.com and click "refurbished macs" down on the bottom left corner. If you've found Apple's to be price-prohibitive, give it a look. The college I do IT for keeps extensive statistics, and our deployed Macs tend to last 5-7 years (3 in front line duty, then 2-4 more in a secondary role). The HP pro towers we use for game design tend to conk out after about 3 (remember, this is a student-use duty cycle, so rougher than most home users tend to be). If you're set on a touchscreen pc, I also really recommend you try one because it's *really* not as nice as it sounds.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:47 PM   #5
jfslater98
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
Don't do it!

More frightening: you will be stuck with Windows 8. I'm pretty patient when it comes to technology. I've been using it at work, on a tablet, supposedly it's "wheelhouse." Every day I grow to hate it more. Wait until the next version of Windows comes out. You've been warned.
jfslater98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:08 PM   #6
MillCreek
ADV Risk Manager

Oddometer: 1,776
^^^ I will say that since I started using 'Classic Shell', to restore a more Win7 type interface, my distaste for Win 8 has gone down. Now I never have to deal with the Metro screen.
2012 Suzuki DL650A as the current bike
Whole bunch of bikes in the past
MillCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:17 PM   #7
emerson.biguns
All idiot, no savant

Oddometer: 10,006
Just get a laptop. It's all one piece AND you can take it with you.

emerson.biguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:36 PM   #8
Manuel Garcia O'Kely OP
Back at last

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierostetz View Post
why not just get an actual iMac? if you (or a loved one) is a student or school faculty .
Cost and lack of need. I use it as a communications terminal, really don't need much of anything else, so I'm cheap.

The note about operating systems though makes sense. Why does Msoft have such a dumb development group? why do they go from a workable to a bad system and back?

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Old 03-29-2013, 11:33 PM   #9
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillCreek View Post
^^^ I will say that since I started using 'Classic Shell', to restore a more Win7 type interface, my distaste for Win 8 has gone down. Now I never have to deal with the Metro screen.
I'm loathe to add interface overlays in a corporate environment, so I haven't done it at work. What I find is that I'm using Window-R and typing what I want, rather than trying to deal with bringing up Metro and looking around for things. Things that I use frequently now have icons on the desktop.

Microsoft screwed the pooch on this one. Between the crappy interface and the new annual extortion licensing model, I expect corporate users to look very hard at alternatives.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:54 AM   #10
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,847
Dare I say it, but I have mostly gotten used to Win8. I do agree that it is very very nice to have a touchscreen with it.

Regarding the all in one setup, for your use it doesn't sound like any of the limitations of that design will be a hindrance to you. (No upgrade ability and if one component goes down the whole thing is toast)

I say go for it once you have read reviews of the specific model.
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:25 PM   #11
Gastonian
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
I bought a Toshiba 23” all in one and had it for about three months. I loved the thing, and liked the clean look it gave my desk. One day though, as I was getting up from my chair, I bumped into my desk sending the Toshiba screen first into the keyboard in front of it. I picked up the monitor to discover half the screen was white and the other half was flickering like crazy. Of course warranty doesn’t cover that type of damage; so that was a thousand dollars down the drain. I went back to a standard desktop; at least if that happened again I would only be out the price of a monitor.
Gastonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:05 AM   #12
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,365
I bought a dellThe touch 24 touch screen this christmas.

I hate windows 8. My kids 5&2 love it and can navigate well enough to use it on their own.

The screen either software or hardware has shit the bed three times already, which means it's everyones favorite time, chatting with abdul in india who remotes into your system for hours at a time and you have to sit there and watch. The last time they sent out a tech to replace the entire screen.

the touch screen was an impulse buy it was cool at bestbuy. Honestly the kids do love it but I find I rarely use it myself. And the noted problems with the screen itself...I have learned to live with windows 8

Nessmuk
sailah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:10 AM   #13
Manuel Garcia O'Kely OP
Back at last

Wow, thanks for the variety of opinions.

Frankly the touch-screen feature is not all that important to me, I would end up using a mouse most of the time with a desktop of any stripe.

Well, I thought with the cost similar to a mini-tower system it might be worth considering.

So is Win8 going to be with us for a long time? If so, I might be better looking for an apple I guess. The only problem with Apple is that there's no dealer anywhere near here.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:47 AM   #14
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely View Post
Wow, thanks for the variety of opinions.

Frankly the touch-screen feature is not all that important to me, I would end up using a mouse most of the time with a desktop of any stripe.

Well, I thought with the cost similar to a mini-tower system it might be worth considering.

So is Win8 going to be with us for a long time? If so, I might be better looking for an apple I guess. The only problem with Apple is that there's no dealer anywhere near here.
I don't know what your software needs are, but ubuntu linux is really nice these days, I have it alongside windows 7 on my laptop here. I need the windows for quickbooks and google sketchup, otherwise I'd only use ubuntu. You might give it a look. If it were me, I'd keep an eye on slickdeals.net/ and pick up a decent laptop for $400, maybe a larger screen for $150, and put ubuntu on it.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:26 PM   #15
Jonnylotto
All out of care

Oddometer: 15,115
Try this out:

Set your laptop at desktop distance, propped up on some books so that the screen is the same height as the touchscreen all-in-one you're looking at. Now reach out and touch the screen as if you were opening and moving things around.

Now imagine surfing Toxic Britney.

I think any number of 17" laptops would be a better deal. Still the small footprint but optional locations.

Look at it this way, if you get a new laptop but never lug it around you'll be just like hundreds of GSA owners who never go off pavement.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: