Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2013, 10:00 AM   #16
rwf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Are you saying the chain is too long? Are you saying they made the links shorter to sell more links? The links will be made to a standardized dimension.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:32 AM   #17
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,355
LMAO!! I don't know if notrivia is jerking our chains (pun intended) or a clueless nimrod. Either way, this thread is hilarious! :sly::sly:
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:43 AM   #18
notrivia OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
It's an endless chain ...

Hey RWF and Max -

Yes, RWF, I am saying that they are incrementally increasing the size of each link so that the adjustment cycle will be shorter so they can sell more chain.
And Max, this is my 4th chain. The stock chain got me 33,000,
my second was a Regina which gave about 18,000- but I was traveling a lot and did not give it the care it deserved. My third was reportedly the stock DID with sunstar sprockets, about 8,000, lovingly cared for. I noticed at installation the adjustment was in the middle. The EK X-Ring doing the same has prompted this "investigation". I also went back to the stock sprockets ...
I've e-mailed both Regina and EK with precise information, and especially asked EK to "explain the technical fact that causes the chain to be in the middle rather than the start of the adjustment mark".
THANKYOU FOR YOUR COMMENTS.
notrivia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:27 PM   #19
Railbender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,028
Did you replace both sprockets at the time you installed the new chain? If not that may account for your problem.

Old 03-30-2013, 01:32 PM   #20
notrivia OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
A link too many

Yes, Railbender, everything is as it should be, correct sprockets with the right tooth count, and stock chain link amount. And my version is the "N" Max.
notrivia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:40 PM   #21
06CCDMAX
Johnny 2-Stroke

Oddometer: 20
Never seen an adjuster start out RIGHT at the beginning, there's intentionally some extra so you can... Wait for it... Adjust. What matters is the length between links. There's a wear limit your manual will recommend, probably measuring 10 links. Reaching the end of the adjuster has nothing to do with it. You will probably exceed that limit before you exceed your adjusters. If you do reach the end of the adjuster and still have good life in the chain, remove one link, adjust, and ride on.
"I run on Caffeine and Klotz. Beer is a bonus
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
You wanna tag some poles together?
06CCDMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:04 PM   #22
kingby
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06CCDMAX View Post
Never seen an adjuster start out RIGHT at the beginning, there's intentionally some extra so you can... Wait for it... Adjust. What matters is the length between links. There's a wear limit your manual will recommend, probably measuring 10 links. Reaching the end of the adjuster has nothing to do with it. You will probably exceed that limit before you exceed your adjusters. If you do reach the end of the adjuster and still have good life in the chain, remove one link, adjust, and ride on.
^^^^this

Chain wear has nothing to due with the position of the adjusters. The adjuster allows some leeway for stretch and sprocket changes (while giving you way to maintaining chain tension), but are not an indicator of a warn chain. It sounds like you are trying to use it as a wear indicator???? Install with adjustors all the way in, and ride it until there is no adjustment left??? Be prepare for a broken chain if this is the case (and all the bad things that may happen when it snaps).

Or as they say... are you pulling our chains??? Little early for April fools isn't it?
kingby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:07 PM   #23
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartV View Post
LMAO!! I don't know if notrivia is jerking our chains (pun intended) or a clueless nimrod. Either way, this thread is hilarious! :sly::sly:

I have to say that the amount of fail in this thread is EPIC!

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:19 PM   #24
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,413
Wtf? The op has ridden more miles and owned more bikes than most of you combined. If he says there is something wrong then I would believe him. Personally I think it maybe a swingarm problem. As a bend or worn bearings would make it effectively shorter and causing the too long problem. If you don't have anything to offer why don't u take it to the basement

Go forth and be a force of the awesome!
kenny61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:47 PM   #25
Boatman
Take me down bitch!

Oddometer: 10,167
Maybe Suzuki starting making the swingarms shorter to save materials and cut costs. This would really fry my ass,,,, paying for a whole swingarm and getting shorted!!!!

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:22 PM   #26
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,932
As sensible people have said in past posts

Chains are made to a standard.
Chain ware of 3 to 5% is taken as the maximum ware... so any chain made approaching that would be shunned by the market.

-------------------------------------------

The OP should MEASURE their chain.. rather than assume. Maybe looking at a brand new bike may help?

Measure 9 links - should be 5.625 inches... use a vernier caliper for resolution... a motorcycle mechanic may have a dedicated gauge to check chain ware ...
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:48 PM   #27
chollo9
Screwed the Pooch

Oddometer: 1,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
my dad was a machinist I may have to break out some of his measuring tools and verify whats going on..does anyone have a link to what the standard is?
What, a ruler? The pitch is 5/8", it's pretty easy to check. Measure this bad boy and multiply . . .
Old 03-30-2013, 05:50 PM   #28
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartV View Post
+1

Current bikes F800GS-EXCF350-Versys-690R-RZ350
sieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:58 PM   #29
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 2,033
Maybe he got one of them new fangled pre stretched chains.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:03 PM   #30
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warin View Post
As sensible people have said in past posts

Chains are made to a standard.
Chain ware of 3 to 5% is taken as the maximum ware... so any chain made approaching that would be shunned by the market.

-------------------------------------------

The OP should MEASURE their chain.. rather than assume. Maybe looking at a brand new bike may help?

Measure 9 links - should be 5.625 inches... use a vernier caliper for resolution... a motorcycle mechanic may have a dedicated gauge to check chain ware ...
Another way that works is to measure a length that will be an even number of links....for 5/8 pitch chain 15" will be 24 links.....if the distance grows to 15 3/8" it has elongated 2.5% and the chain is about due to be replaced. This much wear would lengthen the entire chain about 1 3/4" and require the axle to be moved back about 1/2 that much from new to adjust for wear, about 7/8" (but as was said the bike manufacturers spec for wear should be used)
victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote