Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2013, 05:12 PM   #31
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,109
Wow could it really be that simple...is like to know this as my chain is getting near the end of the adjusters and will need to be replaced soon.
On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died. The only thing that comes to those who wait is old age. Too many dreams.... Not enough time. Not Scared of dying. Not scared of living. Just scared of the pain that separates the two...
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:25 PM   #32
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by chollo9 View Post
What, a ruler? The pitch is 5/8", it's pretty easy to check. Measure this bad boy and multiply . . .

No Not a ruler wiseass.. I have his old micrometers and calibers, ruler and gauge ones
On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died. The only thing that comes to those who wait is old age. Too many dreams.... Not enough time. Not Scared of dying. Not scared of living. Just scared of the pain that separates the two...
Old 03-30-2013, 05:34 PM   #33
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,557
Just thought of something. Maybe the OP should not be so quick to blame the chain manufacture, maybe the sprocket manufacture is making the sprockets a little smaller in diameter.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:44 PM   #34
Transpomgr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Maybe it's a bakers dozen kinda thing? If you take one or two links out of every chain you buy to make them the "right" length on installation, after a hundred or two new chains, you can put all the links together to make one free chain.
You've got this wrong, they aren't robbing you, they're being charitable. I wish more companies would do that.
Transpomgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:52 PM   #35
06CCDMAX
Johnny 2-Stroke

Oddometer: 20
I'm going to go out on a limb and say after all those miles, maybe a lead wrist has led to the engine shifting rearward a bit.... Shortening the distance between the sprockets.... This is my guess.
"I run on Caffeine and Klotz. Beer is a bonus
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
You wanna tag some poles together?
06CCDMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:00 PM   #36
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Thats possible, good catch.

Have you checked the engine mounting bolts? If they got loose the could elongate the engine holes because steel is harder then aluminum and the torque would pull it closer shortening the length of the chain needed. you mah have to pull the engine to physically measure the holes. im not sure if you could see or the measure for elongation any other way
Old 03-30-2013, 06:05 PM   #37
Jayrod1318
Poster

Oddometer: 1,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by baloneyskin daddy View Post
Maybe he got one of them new fangled pre stretched chains.
I was waiting for that.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:17 PM   #38
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

I thought you guys may have been fucking with the op or me but wow they really do make them. Maybe the op can chime in om if he bought a stretched one or not. that could account for the position of the adjusters

Quote:
subaki QR series high-performance roller chain

• An economical, high quality, solid roller chain
  • Critical components are heat-treated and shot-peened for greater durability
  • Heavy duty press fit pins with quad-stake riveting for added strength
  • Each chain is pre-stretched at the factory to reduce initial elongation
Old 03-30-2013, 07:15 PM   #39
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,116
I can't remember who sells them, but Hap Jones used to sell chain shrinkers back in the 80's when I worked for a dealership. I believe RK or one of the other chain companies bought them and put them out of business so they could sell more chains.
Maybe try googling chain shrinkers and see if anyone else has one. I mean if they are out there it would be a chance to stick it to those thieving chain companies.
Also it might be time to freshen up that SV and add a new power band to it.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:22 PM   #40
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Sv is a 4stroke they don't use power bands
Old 03-30-2013, 07:53 PM   #41
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Quote:
That is what Suzuki wants you to believe. If they put them in an SV no one would buy Busa's they work that well.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:01 PM   #42
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

That doesn't make sense. Wouldn't Suzuki want to you to buy a Suzuki not a bus a please stop trolling and stick to the subject. I need to buy a chain soon and don't want to get ripped off by a greedy corpiration
Old 03-30-2013, 08:04 PM   #43
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Quote:
That doesn't make sense. Wouldn't Suzuki want to you to buy a Suzuki not a bus a please stop trolling and stick to the subject. I need to buy a chain soon and don't want to get ripped off by a greedy corpiration
It is all a plot by the man, just go buy a chain and good luck they will get you in the end. They always do!
Old 03-30-2013, 08:05 PM   #44
06CCDMAX
Johnny 2-Stroke

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
All engines have a power band, 2-Ts tend to have a narrower one. You can always go to an adjustable powerband though... http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main...products_id=36

No dice on a chain shrinker. I'd start with a sheet-metal shrinker and start modifying. F*ck the "man" and all he tries to get out of you.
"I run on Caffeine and Klotz. Beer is a bonus
Quote:
You wanna tag some poles together?
06CCDMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:07 PM   #45
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Bullshit only 2 strokes have em